View Full Version : Night hours towards JAR CPL (R)

Gearupandorrf
20th Jun 2001, 01:06
Hi fellow ppruners!
Just got back home to Oz after completing the JAR CPL (R) and that all important IR. Just a quick query about the night hours required for the issue of the JAR CPL (R):
Can the night hours (5) be done here in Australia? I've heard through a few sources that I can, including my flying school which is why I didn't do them in the UK. Does anyone out there have a similar experience? Just another quick one too; who would you recommend for the JAR Performance correspondence course (missed out on Perf A).

Thanks for your help, Gearup

TooHotToFly
20th Jun 2001, 12:50
As long as you have got the required hours (5 hours total, 3 hours dual, 1 hours x-country and 5 TO + Land's as PIC) they will issue a night rating onto your JAR licence.

v1rotate
21st Jun 2001, 12:02
Gearup,

The training for the Night VFR Rating is approx 10-13 hours (depending on which school and if they use a sim or not). It's just not a matter of blasting a few circuits and a x-country I'm afraid. The school will not let you do any of that until you go through the whole course so you will be looking at a minumum of 10 hours before you can apply to the CAA/JAA for the issue of your full CPL/IR (A).

Typical prices I looked up were $2000 and up on a Warrior (you can also do it in a Duchess if you prefer).

Ask your club (Royal Vic) how you can do these required hours for the issue or your JAA licence not having a Night VFR Rating.

You can also search www.google.com (http://www.google.com) for 'night rating australia flying' to find out prices etc.

------------------
"Jerry, just remember, it's NOT a LIE if YOU believe it." - George Costanza

The man formerly known as
21st Jun 2001, 12:39
Only the CAA can give you the answer on that one. Phone or e-mail them. (Be aware it takes them a month to reply to an e-mail so make sure the question is right) The advice on these sites is good but only writing from the CAA can be pushed in their faces.

I did a night rating in the UK (5 hours) then applied for the CPL. In a fit of madness the CAA did not charge me for the nightrating only the CPL - the CPL includes night priviledges apparently. I then wondered if I could have got the CPL issued without any night flying, but hey the night flying was fun.

Does a night rating take 10 hours in Aus?

Good luck.

mad_jock
21st Jun 2001, 12:55
v1rotate

Are you sure about that?

I did my night rating as part of my 45 hours for PPL and this covers for all ratings and Lic in the future apart from ATPL.

I must admit i have about 40hrs now mainly due to winter hour building but when i enquired about night work for the CPL they said i didn't need to bother, which will save me a right few quid in landing costs.

MJ

v1rotate
22nd Jun 2001, 14:05
Mad Jock,
Not sure about the issue of a night rating in the UK however, to do a night rating in Australia, Gearup 'may' have to do the whole rating over there. It's a little bit of mis-information that schools throw around I believe and I would always confirm with the CAA (Or the licence authority that you wish to gain your licence from) to get the straight facts.

Man formaly, I am quite certain that you CAN'T get a CPL issued either CAA or JAA without any night training. There is no way ANY authority will let a commercial pilot fly at night without the proper training for night flying. As you are well aware, flying at night uses totally different skills with respect to judgement and various illusions (black hole/rain on windshield etc...). I think you may have been lucky that the CAA did not charge you for the night rating. Take the money and run!!! And yes, 'most' of the schools in Oz require about 10-13 hours for the Night VFR rating. I think is has to do with the fact that Oz unlike the UK, don't have as many navaids in the country so it's all visual navigating by towns, highways etc using a 'mud map'.

------------------
"Jerry, just remember, it's NOT a LIE if YOU believe it." - George Costanza

BlueLine
23rd Jun 2001, 01:12
To quote App 1 to JAR-FCL 1.205:

An applicant for an IR Course shall be the holder of a PPL(A) or a CPL(A), either licence to include the privilege to fly by night, issued in accordance with ICAO Annex 1.

Therefore, it poses the question how did you do an IR without already holding a night qualification?

v1rotate
23rd Jun 2001, 14:33
Blueline, Good point! As I said in one of my earlier posts, some schools push out too much wrong information to get the students without really consulting the rules and regs. Not sure how Gearup did the IR without the examiner looking at the other ratings etc. I remember that my examiner never looked at my other experience so it can just be an oversight.