PDA

View Full Version : Rain and flameout in TFE731

Moshe.Hawker
26th Nov 2018, 15:31
Hi guys, this is my first winter on the Hawker 800xp, and I would like to know when you usually go to IGNITION ON due to rain, I mean at what rain intensity you fill it is required: do you usually go for it only at heavy or moderate rain, or otherwise? any TFE731 or similar size jet engine driver advise will help.

Thanks
Moshe

KAISERSOZE
26th Nov 2018, 18:47
You should find the answer on your AFM
on mine, ignition ON when :
- visible moisture
- contaminated runway
- turbulence
- Lightning
- Vicinity of thunderstorm

That's pretty much what we do on our Challenger.

Moshe.Hawker
27th Nov 2018, 14:17
Thanks Kaisersoze! It looks similar to what we got on our AFM, the reason I was asking about it, is that I heard other crews saying that they use IGNITION ON only when rain is more than just a drizzle, as thy say it is not really necessary and that the recommendation to use ignition for light rain is just manufacturer's lawyers impact... I want to make sure I am not insisting on continuous ignition with no reason.

CL300
27th Nov 2018, 16:13
The problem with the igniters on the old 731 engines ( not -40 /-60) is that they burn very fast. in flight , only in moderate to heavy rain and of course Icing or prior landing, on the ground all of the above makes sense.
Again what does your OPs Spec says is what rules..

Moshe.Hawker
28th Nov 2018, 06:31
Thanks CL300 - that is what I heard from the other crews who said they would go for ignition only with medium intensity rain or more, but not in clouds or drizzle. I am trying to understand, how much rain/water these engines can handle without continuous ignition. I have seen couple of videos on u tube where huge volume of water was injected into different types of engines while these engines keep full power - but my guess is that they all used continuous ignition. So, the million dollar question, is how much water they can take without any protection...

Dufo
28th Nov 2018, 08:03
Moshe you can try that by switching on ignition only on one side and see what happens. One engine flameout will not kill you. :E