PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Decorations - When is the right time to put them up?

ATNotts
25th Nov 2018, 13:15
Driving around the streets of Nottingham over the last week or so I'm amazed by the number of houses, mostly in the poorer areas, that have already got decorations up, light flashing in the windows and would you believe, "Santa Stop Here" signs outside!! It occurs to me that in these areas people probably don't have the money to waste on unnecessary electricity use - a lot will be on extortionate prepayment meters.

For us, the tree goes up maximum 2 weeks before the "big day" (stupid expression), but I don't see too much wrong with the tree going up on the first Sunday in advent. I'm not religious, but Christmas is a religious festival (allegedly) and the Christmas season starts at the beginning of Advent (2nd December this year) and finishes on 6th January.

When do the other "bah humbugers" on Jet Blast eventually circum?

treadigraph
25th Nov 2018, 13:40
Never! No Crimble decos in my house thank you!

I was appalled to see Christmas trees up in a Croydon pub on 10th November... I gather some have already been hosting Christmas lunches for company and club dos.

VP959
25th Nov 2018, 13:48
One of the joys of living in an area that is seeking to get "Dark Skies" status is that any lights outside are frowned upon, so we're thankfully fairly free from the OTT external displays that seem to becoming part and parcel of celebrating Christmas.

SpringHeeledJack
25th Nov 2018, 14:07
I'd say that the 1st Advent would be the appropriate time to get 'the Christmas spirit' going. As mentioned, the commercial xmas seems to start in the beginning of November, but it begs the question, how do you keep the momentum up until Christmas ???

Ancient Mariner
25th Nov 2018, 14:14
Thanks for reminding me, must start decorating outside. Switch on December 1.
Indoors, it varies, but Yule tree, December 23.
Per

Bob Viking
25th Nov 2018, 14:27
If it was up to me, the sooner the better. I love Christmas and I love the way the kids get excited.

Sadly my wife is in charge so usually up in the middle of December and down before New Year.

BV

G-CPTN
25th Nov 2018, 14:31
Our family erect the tree (indoors) on Christmas Eve and decorate the tree and the inside of the house 'en famille' after the end of the King's College carol service (which was shared in times past by those members who were overseas - knowing that it brought us together in spirit if not in body).
The young children didn't get to see the decorated tree until Christmas morning after breakfast.

No external decorations.

IBMJunkman
25th Nov 2018, 15:36
No lights. No tree. No nothing. Bah, humbug!

Gertrude the Wombat
25th Nov 2018, 15:45
Christmas Eve in my family.

BehindBlueEyes
25th Nov 2018, 15:50
Up on Christmas Eve and down on Boxing Day (or the evening of Christmas Day if I could get away with it!) I do the stealth removal method in our house. Gently remove item by item until just the tree is left. The cat is pretty good at helping demolish it too!

Andy_S
25th Nov 2018, 15:53
I like Christmas, but it shouldn't start a day too soon or go on a day too long. 1st December is fine for me, and take it all down on New Years Day.

I have noticed several houses on my estate have gone for it this weekend. Some of them big time.

Pontius Navigator
25th Nov 2018, 16:07
I will be fitting the hooks for the porch lights this week ready for the switch on next Saturday. We used to have a competition in our club so icicles and decorated gardens were deriguer until one of our member s fell off the roof.

Winter is dark and gloomy enough, unless it snows, so let there be light.

Of ATNotts observation, if life is necessarily gloomy all the more reason for seasonal bling.

Buster15
25th Nov 2018, 16:35
If we have to put up with these tacky trinkets then Christmas eve and take them down on Boxing day.

Flypro
25th Nov 2018, 16:41
Today our local garden centre are playing Christmas carols and selling Xmas trees for £42.99.

It's not even DECEMBER for gods (!) sake :confused:

chips101
25th Nov 2018, 17:11
My tree is up. Up the loft where it belongs at this time.

vctenderness
25th Nov 2018, 17:13
As soon as some ***hole start talking about ‘offending minorities’ get ‘em up as soon as,possible!

West Coast
25th Nov 2018, 17:19
Whenever one decides they want to is the correct answer.

Martin_123
25th Nov 2018, 19:35
I start putting up outdoor lights at the end of November/first week December, whenever I have time. Indoors follow one or two week later. I set up timers for the lights go on at random times, the idea is to make my house appear full of life (not as lively as Kevin made it look in "Home Alone" thou) for security reasons. This time of year with all the darkness is very favorable for all sorts of opportunists, so light them up and make some noise is my strategy

Pontius Navigator
25th Nov 2018, 19:46
On a P&O Cruise ship the decorating team is flown out to the Caribbean in time to decorate the ship for the Christmas cruise, around 15 Dec.

However our Coop is selling Hot Cross Buns, now that is sticking it to them.

wdew
26th Nov 2018, 00:00
If the shops can start selling their Christmas goods and trees in September I can put my lights and tree up then too ! I love Christmas time and my Star of Bethlehem goes on the top of roof 1 October . Rest of the lights first of December and inside the house the Christmas tree and lights too.

Checkboard
26th Nov 2018, 00:38
The 12 days of Christmas, Christmastide, BEGINS on Christmas day.

Put your decorations up on Christmas Eve, and then feast for two weeks. It's the only way. ;)

Karearea
26th Nov 2018, 06:18
I don't have any outdoor lights, but enjoy a summertime twilight drive around the neighbourhood about December 20th to view those of others.

My indoor decorations and Christmas cards go up about December 15th and remain until Twelfth Night.

SnowFella
26th Nov 2018, 06:33
Hmm..last time I did outdoors lights I think they went up mid December...and came down a few years later once they fully had gone cactus. Cheapo solar LED lights so I just couldn't be arsed to take them down, just yanked the batteries. The tiny solar panels and cables didn't really last long under the Australian sun though and quickly started breaking down.
As for tree and related crap, 17 years of working on the dark side of retail in a distribution center for one of the 2 big grocery chains down here has firmly destroyed any Chrissy spirits in me. For some it's the season of giving, for me it's the season of getting stressed out to the max with silly workloads and stupid demands! Last year didn't even bother getting the awful plastic tree out of the garage but SWMBO this year declared that the family celebrations are to take place here so I guess I'll have to try and find it amongst all the other junk.

Yes, I'm the kind of bloke that don's a "Bah Humbug" T-shirt for christmas!

Pontius Navigator
26th Nov 2018, 07:18
Some years ago my daughter went 'green' for Christmas. First she hired a reusesble tree. It was 10 ft tall and had a tiny root ball. Took 3 of us to put it up and then rope it securely. Next the decorations, desiccated oranges, sticks of cinnamon and sundry other compostable tat. Finally the lights. Solar powered LED. Unfortunately the one small window in the hall was too far away for the solar panel.

Post Christmas the tree was placed outside ready to be collected and replanted. They heard nothing and eventually it was consigned to the bonfire.

So ended my daughters only attempt at a green Christmas. When GD arrived so did the bling.

​​​​​​

ATNotts
26th Nov 2018, 08:54
I enjoy Christmas, I have no problem with Christmas - except that it starts far too early in UK, so by the time mid December comes around I'm pissed off with the whole affair, be that Christmas Fayre (meaning crappy lowest common denominator food served in overcrowded noisy surroundings), or the totally ridiculous playing of "Christmas songs" on radio before the end of November, and the nauseating Christmas musak that is an integral part of shopping for about 6 weeks ahead of the day itself. Don't even get me started on Christmas TV!!!

I am up for Christmas on about the 23rd, really enjoy Christmas Eve - after the shops are closed and all the totally over the top retail scrum is finished - and we can sit down and have a decent meal, with decent wine, before the family turns up on the 25th. by the 27th I've had enough, and would really like to be able to go back to work until New Year - making the two festivals separate events.

Our tree will be up around the 22nd, down on the 6th.

G-CPTN
26th Nov 2018, 10:23
Father-in-law (before I arrived on the scene) bought a tree with a root ball, which, after the Christmas period, was planted in the garden.
This tree is now more than 50 feet high and has a spread of 15 feet.
Not bad for 50 years growth.

radeng
26th Nov 2018, 10:35
The radeng household doesn't bother. We may sometimes put up strings to display the cards, but that's it. On the 25th, there's Christmas lunch, rather than our usual habit of having the main meal in the evening. Lunch will be turkey breast fillets in a sherry sauce with sauté potatoes and the inevitable sprouts - although if we haven't had some good frosts, I might persuade mrs radeng that calabrese is better. The cats will complain bitterly if they don't get some turkey: they are very keen on boeuf bourguignon too...

Gertrude the Wombat
26th Nov 2018, 10:39
there's Christmas lunch, rather than our usual habit of having the main meal in the evening
We used to do that, but as we got older we started getting hangovers in the afternoon. So given a choice of an alcohol free Christmas lunch or a Christmas dinner with booze we now have Christmas dinner in the evening.

Pinky the pilot
26th Nov 2018, 10:45
Here in Waikerie the 'tradition' is that all Christmas lights should be up on the evening of the Christmas Pageant. Which this year is Saturday 1st December.

For the first time in about five years, the Pinky household is doing its best. :ok:The street in which we live had a reputation years ago of having the best Christmas lights in the whole area. However, as the years passed and some residents passed on (died) this tradition died as well.:( Indeed, for the last five years we have not put any up whatsoever.:sad:

This year though, it seems that the tradition may be returning. Our house used to be one of the best when it came to illumination, but others used to excel us on creativity.

One thing really makes me sad though; The fact that Con-pilot is no longer with us :sad:and able to entertain us with his tales of putting up his Christmas lights. As fellow Ppruners may remember, these tales always seemed to involve various accidents, blood letting and certain amounts of pain, all of which were eventually assuaged by copious consumption of various single Malts!:D:ok:

If they celebrate Christmas in whatever Heaven/Valhalla/Paradise given to Aviators, I have a suspicion that the dearly missed Con-pilot will have the chore of putting up the lights there!:D Hope they have lots of single Malt there though...:E

Pontius Navigator
26th Nov 2018, 17:31
Father-in-law (before I arrived on the scene) bought a tree with a root ball, which, after the Christmas period, was planted in the garden.
This tree is now more than 50 feet high and has a spread of 15 feet.
Not bad for 50 years growth.
We did that at our last house but constrained inna half barrel. It put on 6 inches or so per year. Too big to move. We now have a new one, 3:feet tall.

Pontius Navigator
26th Nov 2018, 17:40
I have yet to hear any Christmas muzak in a shop.

In a coffee shop a few years ago they were playing "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas . . . " After a short time it kept repeating on a loop, not the whole track but skipping such as on the old vinyl. Only my wife noticed, I don't think the staff even heard anything.
​​​​

paulc
26th Nov 2018, 18:03
No decs here as i will not be in the uk for xmas this year. Going somewhere warm to be with family.

Hussar 54
26th Nov 2018, 19:29
Seems to be a lot of ' Bah, Humbug ' going on here.

I wonder how many would pass, completely, on Christmas given the choice ? Probably not many, I reckon.

Same as.... I wonder how many would happily spend Christmas Day NOT in their own home ? Again, probably not too many, I reckon....

Only done the ' Christmas Away ' thing once - working in Naples, Florida at the time, and Frau H, the son and the daughter flew out to join me. Just wasn't the same. Lunchtime Christmas Day was 28 degrees and sunny. Finished up turning the AirCon up ( down ? ) to as cold as possible and then lit a few pieces of BBQ charcoal and wood in the fireplace in the living room to watch the best and cheesiest US TV programmes of people wearing gloves, scarves, fur hats, etc, singing Christmas Songs standing under imitation snow.

Never again !

Gertrude the Wombat
26th Nov 2018, 19:37
Same as.... I wonder how many would happily spend Christmas Day NOT in their own home ? Again, probably not too many, I reckon....
I voluntarily spent one Christmas day touring around polling stations in Ukraine, in preparation for the Boxing Day re-run of the election during the Orange Revolution.

Pontius Navigator
26th Nov 2018, 19:54
Our first Christmas with birds flown the nest we visited an east coast resort to walk on the beach. Restaurants filled with bon hommie.

Then one we went on a cruise with all the unloved. Cruise food is generally very good but dinner on the day was pitiful.

Never again. Also rather be in our own home on the day.

Hussar 54
26th Nov 2018, 20:25
I voluntarily spent one Christmas day touring around polling stations in Ukraine, in preparation for the Boxing Day re-run of the election during the Orange Revolution.

I involuntarily spent Christmas Eve and Christmas Day morning on my own in a hotel in Linz after my flight to Frankfurt then up to Hannover ( to spend Christmas with the families who had gathered at my Mother's that year ) was cancelled because of the pea souper in Linz that afternoon / evening..

I finished up back in a hotel in downtown Linz with just me and a bunch of can't-even-stand-up-drunk Vietnamese in the hotel's bar. Fortunately, Lufty taxied me and another couple of guys who were travelling together to Munich at lunchtime on Christmas Day and put me on flight up to Hannover where I arrived early evening and, most importantly, just in time to avoid getting divorced as I was originally supposed to have left Linz on 23rd but stayed on another day to clear up a few loose ends before our F27 went in for extended maintenance over the Christmas and New Year period.....And I'd told my mother but even worse, told Frau H to quit moaning because I'd absolutely, positively, definitely be at my Mother's in time for dinner on Christmas Eve, etc, etc, etc....

You know that film with Steve Martin about the guy trying to get back home in time for Thanksgiving Dinner- well that was me that Christmas...

Tankertrashnav
26th Nov 2018, 23:21
Trains Planes and Automobiles , Hussar54

So given a choice of an alcohol free Christmas lunch or a Christmas dinner with booze we now have Christmas dinner in the evening.

I have a thing about Christmas "lunch". To me lunch is a light meal taken in the middle of the day. Dinner is the main meal of the day, irrespective of what time it taken. Thus having "Christmas lunch" implies you will be having a bigger meal later on!

I know I am in a minority these days, but I will continue to eat Christmas dinner at around 2pm as i have always done

Incidentally wasn't it supposed to be unlucky to take the tree down before 12th Night? Mind you that was in the days when it went up on Christmas Eve, not anytime after Guy Fawkes Night!

P-N - other than on Christmas Day are you ever not on a cruise? ;)

Gertrude the Wombat
27th Nov 2018, 08:25
I know I am in a minority these days, but I will continue to eat Christmas dinner at around 2pm as i have always done
Sunday lunch (or Christmas dinner) at 2pm is so that the woman has time to finish the cooking after she gets back from church (the man, of course, neither going to church (what are pubs for?) nor doing the cooking).
Incidentally wasn't it supposed to be unlucky to take the tree down before 12th Night? Mind you that was in the days when it went up on Christmas Eve, not anytime after Guy Fawkes Night!
I would say that is correct.

Pontius Navigator
27th Nov 2018, 09:01
TTN, sadly, now retired the days of 5 a year are long passed. Managed one last year as a post-op present to myself (I had set it as a recovery target), a short one this year as a post-house move R&R, and just cancelled next years as Mrs PN is waiting for a serious non-C op.

Pontius Navigator
27th Nov 2018, 09:05
GTW, the 2pm deadline is to clear decks for 3pm of course.

On 12th night though, as a child I didn't want the decorations to be taken down. I was told if they didn't come down on 12th night they had to stay till Easter!

Lancelot37
27th Nov 2018, 09:06
When is the right time to put them up? When you want to put it up. It's your choice, why bother about others?

trident3A
27th Nov 2018, 11:01
Reminds me of that joke - My neighbor is absolutely mad about Christmas, he's got his tree up already even though there's 364 days left to go!

Barksdale Boy
27th Nov 2018, 12:31
Best wishes to all for Christmas, especially to Mrs PN. Looking forward to visiting 128 next week on the occasion of my son's 50th birthday. His birth meant a ground standardization was avoided!

Well remember 30 Nov/01 Dec 79 in the gents' loo at Nellis when the Christmas carols tape started precisely at midnight - hard to beat the USAF for accuracy when it doesn't really matter.

KelvinD
27th Nov 2018, 13:05
Whenever you choose to put them up (or not put them up), please ensure they look nothing like this:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-46324407/melania-trump-unveils-white-house-christmas-decorations

Ancient Mariner
27th Nov 2018, 14:47
Whenever you choose to put them up (or not put them up), please ensure they look nothing like this:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-46324407/melania-trump-unveils-white-house-christmas-decorations
A tiny, little bit overkill? Poor Melania, must be cold in that big, white house.
Per

treadigraph
27th Nov 2018, 17:18
Meanwhile, this Christmas decoration seems a bit overblown:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-46362708

Linedog
27th Nov 2018, 17:29
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/842x960/cattree_e017c58c812d602e6f5fd29097c976bd1876587c.jpg

Super VC-10
27th Nov 2018, 18:49
My christmas decorations are a string of ten white lights that spell Bah Humbug, one letter per light, with space. Will probably go up on 1 Dec and come down on 6 Jan. Kevin Bloody Wilson's "Kev's Kristmas" CD will go on in car this weekend too.

Pontius Navigator
27th Nov 2018, 19:43
Got the new string up over the porch. Mrs PN has one of the trees up and airing off.

Hydromet
27th Nov 2018, 20:03
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/324x432/xmastreefairies_0834e3d8c9978e630508696d5e5f826c85586bfd.jpg

Our Christmas Tree fairies have arrived.

Ken Borough
28th Nov 2018, 01:23
I am so disappointed that there’s not been any mention of Holiday Lights, Holiday Decorations, or Holiday Dinner. The world, as the Yanks know it, has gone mad. Need I go on? :}

Tankertrashnav
28th Nov 2018, 11:05
Just watch the bloody Coca Cola ad Ken :*

ATNotts
28th Nov 2018, 14:26
I am so disappointed that there’s not been any mention of Holiday Lights, Holiday Decorations, or Holiday Dinner. The world, as the Yanks know it, has gone mad. Need I go on? :}

The use of the word "Holidays" for the Christmas / New Year season has always perplexed me. I guess it's because US employee rights are so bad, it's about the only holiday they actually get!!

Evanelpus
28th Nov 2018, 18:41
When is the right time to put them up? When you want to put it up. It's your choice, why bother about others?

Bang on, sir!

We put ours on 1st December and taken them down around 4th January. I love Christmas, even more since my stroke in May 2017.

oldairphot
28th Nov 2018, 20:06
No lights. No tree. No nothing. Bah, humbug!
DITTO !!!!!

Innominate
28th Nov 2018, 20:41
The use of the word "Holidays" for the Christmas / New Year season has always perplexed me. I guess it's because US employee rights are so bad, it's about the only holiday they actually get!!

Christmas comes shortly after Hannukah (this year, 2 to 10 December) so "Happy Holidays" works for those of either faith, and those of none.

TWT
28th Nov 2018, 20:52
I wonder how many would pass, completely, on Christmas given the choice ?

I do. Can't wait for it to be over and gone.

ExSp33db1rd
28th Nov 2018, 23:14
Happy Easter everybody !

Nervous SLF
29th Nov 2018, 03:48
Tree is installed at 08.00 Christmas Day and removed at 20.00 Christmas Day. We don't have
12 days of Christmas... we have 12 hours and sometimes even that seems to drag on for far
too long a time.

Pontius Navigator
29th Nov 2018, 07:55
Then there is the question of trees - real or artificial?

Got a bargain last year a couple of days before Christmas, half price, only half the needles to drop😃

Mrs PN had bought a bargain artificial one too, 30% off. After Christmas bought a huge bag to store it. Went back to store where we had bought the tree. They were selling boxed trees cheaper than the bag. Grrr!

Gertrude the Wombat
29th Nov 2018, 08:30
Then there is the question of trees - real or artificial?
The trouble with real ones is that after a few years and being repotted a few times they get too heavy to lug into the house and you have to buy a new smaller one.

For a while we used a coffee tree which was about the right size and was being kept as a house plant anyway. The branches of a coffee tree are somewhat bendy though so only quite light decorations could be used. But the coffee tree got too big and the replacements are still only inches tall so I don't know what we're going to do this year. We do have a real Christmas tree in the garden but, being nearly twice as tall as the house, it's going to stay there.

Pontius Navigator
29th Nov 2018, 11:06
GTW, I think I already mentioned our previous real tree. It was always outdoors and added variety to a block paved drive. I think it was 3 feet tall when we got it. In its tub it was a convenient 5 feet.

At one point it put a tap root through the block paving. We put in a water feed and it would put on a new layer every year. Last year I had to stand on a ladder and use a pole to get lights on the top.

SpringHeeledJack
29th Nov 2018, 12:32
Ho Ho Ho!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6441819/Grandma-Festive-Betty-Ann-Jones-Pontardawe-Wales-spends-30-000-Christmas-decorations.html

CargoMatatu
29th Nov 2018, 12:51
Here in Waikerie the 'tradition' is that all Christmas lights should be up on the evening of the Christmas Pageant. Which this year is Saturday 1st December.

One thing really makes me sad though; The fact that Con-pilot is no longer with us :sad:and able to entertain us with his tales of putting up his Christmas lights. As fellow Ppruners may remember, these tales always seemed to involve various accidents, blood letting and certain amounts of pain, all of which were eventually assuaged by copious consumption of various single Malts!:D:ok:

If they celebrate Christmas in whatever Heaven/Valhalla/Paradise given to Aviators, I have a suspicion that the dearly missed Con-pilot will have the chore of putting up the lights there!:D Hope they have lots of single Malt there though...:E

This is a great example of how he lives on among us in such fond memories. :ok:

G-CPTN
29th Nov 2018, 20:46
This is a great example of how he lives on among us in such fond memories. :ok:
A vicar once told me (in his address at a funeral) that Heaven was the memories of the departed held by the survivors.

By remembering ConPilot we are keeping him in 'Heaven'.