PDA

View Full Version : Moped Scroat's and the new tactics by the Met.... Ram Them

NutLoose
23rd Nov 2018, 15:25
Ram em... love the film...ahh justice at work at last.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/hit-squad-police-pursuit-drivers-ram-fleeing-moped-gangs-in-new-tactical-contact-policy/ar-BBQ0sGL

SpringHeeledJack
23rd Nov 2018, 15:33
As brutal as this method is (for UK standards), the way these feral miscreants have been riding wild with seeming impunity up until now, this ramming is exactly what they need to get the message.

Tashengurt
23rd Nov 2018, 15:34
Hmm. All good clean fun until the IOPC come knocking.

Dan_Brown
23rd Nov 2018, 15:43
Excellent!!

Why has it taken so long to instigate this common sence approach??

I'm surprised the "do gooders haven't screamed fowl as yet, or have They??

Sallyann1234
23rd Nov 2018, 15:49
I'm surprised the "do gooders haven't screamed fowl as yet, or have They??
No. They've chickened out.

sitigeltfel
23rd Nov 2018, 16:02
So the message now is, "Keep your helmet on, you're going to need it!"

All and well until one of them gets seriously injured, then taxpayer funded lawyers will be all over it like gravel rash.

Icare9
23rd Nov 2018, 16:07
Easy answer would be to ensure they stop moving. These feral vermin need eradicating, and surprisingly may have an unexpected reduction in knife crime as they're probably the same scum,
Perhaps some form of cow catcher, to flip 'em over the roof and into a storage bin.

Dan Gerous
23rd Nov 2018, 16:26
Saw this on the news earlier today, brilliant.

ShyTorque
23rd Nov 2018, 16:45
Yes, it is time it was properly sanctioned and the police officers formally backed up. These criminals deserve all they get.

charliegolf
23rd Nov 2018, 18:19
Then they should be billed for the jam sandwich repairs!

Mechta
23rd Nov 2018, 18:56
How long before the first 'kill' stickers start appearing? Promotion for the first one to fill the car door! :E

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/300x244/scooter_300_ba80cd289822d81b384456f3375d9ef8f5eed6a3.png

clareprop
23rd Nov 2018, 19:24
If you set out to do harm to others, do not be surprised if harm is visited upon you in return.
At last we appear to be acting against this filth as if we have a set...

Tashengurt
23rd Nov 2018, 19:35
Aaaand the IOPC have confirmed they're investigating four cases where tactical contact has been made with mopeds.
interesting to see how far that top cover stretches now.

gemma10
23rd Nov 2018, 20:39
I`ve been wondering for some time where all the second hand iphones on the internet came from. I`m talking two major sellers here.

G-CPTN
23rd Nov 2018, 20:53
Law enforcement agencies (Police) seem to be able to use lethal force under certain circumstances (eg when the suspect is wielding a deadly weapon).
Is there, perhaps, a written 'rules of engagement' document?

Who judges whether the 'scorpion' actions were intentional - or merely careless driving?

Police drivers will have more legal protection if they are involved in a crash, in a bid to tackle criminals on mopeds, as part of Home Office plans.
New proposals aim to smash the "myth" that officers cannot pursue riders who are not wearing helmets.
"Criminals must not think they can get away with a crime by riding or driving in a certain way," policing minister Nick Hurd said.
Police Federation's Tim Rogers urged government to "act quickly to prevent more officers suffering unnecessary and often mendacious prosecutions".

From:- https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44204844 (22 May 2018)

Lantern10
23rd Nov 2018, 21:35
Well, better late than never I suppose.

Mechta
23rd Nov 2018, 22:25
Red mopeds will go out of favour if the police have to pot one each time they go for another colour.

Pontius Navigator
23rd Nov 2018, 22:27
Said on the news tonight, they will balance the danger posed by the mopeds against the risk of injuring the riders. The police should not cause injury to 3rd parties in a pursuit but must protect the public from the mopeds riders.

Same sort of ROE as for firearms. They also said they pursuit car would be in continuous contact with the control room.

West Coast
23rd Nov 2018, 22:38
Do hope the bill for paint touch ups on the police cars is forwarded to the misfit riders.

Tashengurt
23rd Nov 2018, 22:43
Same sort of ROE as for firearms. They also said they pursuit car would be in continuous contact with the control room.

Drivers in a pursuit are expected to keep up a constant commentary which needs to hit certain criteria. If they don't they'll be told to abort. Similarly any loss of comms means they must abort.

krismiler
24th Nov 2018, 02:30
During WW 2, motorcycle dispatch riders were used as a means of communication. A common technique of ambushing them was to stretch a thin piece of wire between two trees on opposite sides of the road at the level of a riders throat. It was cheap and effective.

jolihokistix
24th Nov 2018, 04:18
That has been tried by fed-up residents in Japan to counter motorcylce gangs, but as often as not unrelated people get caught by the rope/wire.

meadowrun
24th Nov 2018, 06:00
It should be established in law that there should be no recovery for injuries suffered by an individual in the commission of a crime.
Un-clean hands, fruit of the poisoned tree type stuff.

chevvron
24th Nov 2018, 06:13
If they're not wearing a helmet, they're breaking the law anyway.

sitigeltfel
24th Nov 2018, 08:14
As far as I am aware, none of these crimes have been commited by people riding mopeds!

(Pedant mode, off)

Dan_Brown
24th Nov 2018, 08:20
Animals riding mopeds?

Pontius Navigator
24th Nov 2018, 08:31
During WW 2, motorcycle dispatch riders were used as a means of communication. A common technique of ambushing them was to stretch a thin piece of wire between two trees on opposite sides of the road at the level of a riders throat. It was cheap and effective.
Copied many times, featured in a Morse episode with predictable and horrifying consequences. The automatic stingers would be as effective.

You could even fit stingers as part of the street furniture.

Haraka
24th Nov 2018, 10:50
I share the same concerns as Tashengurt. Whilst I am sure that this issue has been well examined legally ,sooner or later there is going to be a serious injury or fatality, as a consequence of which the Police justification for such an action I fear can and will be brought in to question in court.

Krystal n chips
24th Nov 2018, 11:03
Copied many times, featured in a Morse episode with predictable and horrifying consequences. The automatic stingers would be as effective.

You could even fit stingers as part of the street furniture.

That's an interesting suggestion to put forward to your local Council.......allied to which is the fact that, as street furniture, their life span before being nicked could probably be measured in hours, rather than days.

After all, the standard issue car stealing yob may not be over endowed, if indeed there is anything there other than congealed matter in the first place, with functioning brain cells, but, even they would have the acumen to work out they could come in useful ....lets have an intensive thunk here....for say when the police are pursuing them perhaps ?......you know, nick a car, make sure your mates know well in advance, attract the police with their "driving skills ", and then simply head in the direction their mates, stinger at the ready, are waiting......

Tankertrashnav
24th Nov 2018, 11:36
Originally Posted by Dan_Brown https://www.pprune.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/615702-moped-scroat-s-new-tactics-met-ram-them.html#post10318450)I'm surprised the "do gooders haven't screamed fowl as yet, or have They??No. They've chickened out. A bit late, but nice one Sallyann :ok:

ShyTorque
24th Nov 2018, 12:56

I recall a horrific incident a few years ago where an innocent motorbike rider on a seafront road in UK was beheaded by idiots doing this for no good reason.

NutLoose
24th Nov 2018, 13:12
It was also used to take out jeep drivers too, hence you often see wartime images with a section of angle iron mounted vertically from the jeep front bumper to snap the wires.

TURIN
24th Nov 2018, 13:30
Red mopeds will go out of favour if the police have to pot one each time they go for another colour.

That made me proper laugh out loud. Bravo Sir.

ShyTorque
24th Nov 2018, 13:53
That made me proper laugh out loud. Bravo Sir.

You may laugh, but having worked alongside a few, police staff do sometimes get bored and develop their own little games....
I know one crew who sometimes had a theme of the day, for example, talking to the day's "customers" in the style of someone well known, such as "James Bond, 007" - if you laughed, you were out.

skydiver69
24th Nov 2018, 13:54
Sadly I don't think it will be long before either the IOPC recommend gross misconduct proceedings following one of these incidents or the CPS to prosecute a police driver for dangerous driving. Personally I think the tactic is great and will hopefully make the scroats think twice before stealing phones or jewellery using a moped as they will see both the chances of getting caught and the possibility of getting hurt increasing massively. The potential trouble for the police drivers doing this is that they are held to the sames standards as every other driver on the road so if a member of the public deliberately knocked a moped rider from his bike they would be charged with dangerous driving then a police driver is likely to find themselves in the same position. The only way that I can see that being any different is if the CPS had been consulted before the policy was instigated meaning that there are some guidelines in place but even then I can see defence solicitors licking their lips in anticipation of some big pay outs for their misunderstood clients as soon as one of them gets a serious injury.

It would also be interesting to know who has approved of the tactic at the MPS and to see if they have given some sort of undertaking to their officers about what will happen when the inevitable investigations start.

The Nip
24th Nov 2018, 14:48
Who are these people who will complain that one of these scum has been hurt? I guessing they would not have been the victims of acid and knife attacks that these people commit on others.
These are not vigilantes, they are Police officers with (hopefully) ROE which has been approved all the way to the top.
Why are so many concerned with the criminals well being rather than the victims?

skydiver69
24th Nov 2018, 14:51
Who are these people who will complain that one of these sum has been hurt? I guessing they would not have been the victims of acid and knife attacks that these people commit on others.
These are not vigilantes, they are Police officers with (hopefully) ROE which has been approved all the way to the top.
Why are so many concerned with the criminals well being rather than the victims?
Solicitors and family members. Unfortunately we have got to a situation where offenders seem to have more rights and entitlements than victims of crime.

TURIN
24th Nov 2018, 15:38
Solicitors and family members. Unfortunately we have got to a situation where offenders seem to have more rights and entitlements than victims of crime.

Only for those who read (and accept as fact) the right wing press EG Daily Hate, Sexpress, Sun etc

skydiver69
24th Nov 2018, 16:49
Only for those who read (and accept as fact) the right wing press EG Daily Hate, Sexpress, Sun etc
Baroness Newlove seems to disagree. https://www.policeoracle.com/news/police_staff/2018/Nov/17/Rights-of-victims-must-be-given-greater-focus,-says-campaigner-turned-commissioner_99592.html/features

Tech Guy
24th Nov 2018, 16:56
Excellent news and about time too.

Someone needs to instigate a quick law change transferring legal responsibility for injury and damage to the escapee, rather than the pursuer.

Simplythebeast
24th Nov 2018, 17:14
Law enforcement agencies (Police) seem to be able to use lethal force under certain circumstances (eg when the suspect is wielding a deadly weapon).
Is there, perhaps, a written 'rules of engagement' document?

Who judges whether the 'scorpion' actions were intentional - or merely careless driving?

From:- https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44204844 (22 May 2018)

Fairly simple really....any pursuit will be subject to control via radio link between vehicle and control supervisor (as in normal vehicle pursuits) where driver relays a full commentary. He/she will state that they are going to initiate tactical contact prior to knocking said worthless scrote from their machine.

zed3
24th Nov 2018, 17:52
What are the insurance consequences of this? If this happens on a regular basis, as these low life idiots seem to operate, then there will be quite a few police cars out of service. The police seem to like pristine BMWs and other high end marques. The insurance companies will love this... up go the premiums... and who pays for that... we the taxpayer. There will also be fewer or no mobile units.

meadowrun
24th Nov 2018, 18:04
Hmmm, big old police car vs. wobbly 140lb tinker toy.
Might scratch a bit of paint. Maybe some bubble wrap taped on in selective places?

"Damn.....missed."
"S'ok, I got him with the door."

skydiver69
24th Nov 2018, 18:26
What are the insurance consequences of this? If this happens on a regular basis, as these low life idiots seem to operate, then there will be quite a few police cars out of service. The police seem to like pristine BMWs and other high end marques. The insurance companies will love this... up go the premiums... and who pays for that... we the taxpayer. There will also be fewer or no mobile units.

The police self insure.

Gertrude the Wombat
24th Nov 2018, 19:11
The police seem to like pristine BMWs and other high end marques.
ROFLMAO

How many times have you been out for a shift in a police car?

Particularly with a pair of specials who are last to the car park on a Friday night?

Linedog
24th Nov 2018, 19:55
This was earlier this summer in Manchester. Near to what was BAe Chadderton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hg-YJ7t5BY

Saintsman
24th Nov 2018, 20:02

Perhaps fitting Bull Bars to the front of the BMWs would prevent most of the damage?

andytug
24th Nov 2018, 20:06
ROFLMAO

How many times have you been out for a shift in a police car?

Particularly with a pair of specials who are last to the car park on a Friday night?

Traffic cops seem to get BMWs - most of the panda cars seem to be Hyundais. They used to vary manufacturers regularly so any recalls didn't decimate the fleet, but no doubt cost cutting has more to do with it now.

Mechta
24th Nov 2018, 22:58

The police just need a vehicle that's tailored to the job. This Land Cruiser water buffalo catcher in a Canberra museum wouldn't be out of service very often:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/640x480/78629d1060502936_fj40_buffalo_catcher_buff2_0f6ddcff2c2c8181 1a96db575c4c655be3696536.jpg

currawong
25th Nov 2018, 03:23
Happy hunting, gentlemen.

StAn gelo
25th Nov 2018, 06:10
Who are these people who will complain that one of these scum has been hurt? I guessing they would not have been the victims of acid and knife attacks that these people commit on others.
Exactly!! There are far too many whiners concerned about potential injury to criminals.Burglars and thieves deserve no sympathy if they get hurt during the course of their actions.

Nomad2
25th Nov 2018, 06:46
Moped gangs? Must have started after I moved away, as I've never heard of them, but their existence here would be as brief as it was painful.
The UK is quite right to deal with these piss takers violently. Personally, I'd fire at them.

Pontius Navigator
25th Nov 2018, 08:33
Perhaps fitting Bull Bars to the front of the BMWs would prevent most of the damage?

Rather than bull bars, how about shooting a net out over the scroat and lassoing them?

And those Aston Martin hub caps the pop out.

747 jock
25th Nov 2018, 08:55
The police self insure.
Some might do but not all.
I know for a fact that Surrey police don't self insure as my car was hit by a police car from Guildford and I had to claim from their insurers.

G-CPTN
25th Nov 2018, 15:09
Some might do but not all.
I know for a fact that Surrey police don't self insure as my car was hit by a police car from Guildford and I had to claim from their insurers.
You would be dealing with their 'third party' insurance.
Damage to the police vehicle would be covered 'in house' (unless there was a realistic claim against the driver of the non-police vehicle).

fitliker
25th Nov 2018, 19:30
Jasper Carrot would never done moped violence on his funky moped :)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKnoffPV8m0

India Four Two
25th Nov 2018, 20:53
Motorbikes being used for thefts has been quite common in Saigon for a long time. Tourists standing on the curb, holding up their phones to take photos, are quite vulnerable but even some of my Vietnamese friends have lost their phones, when they let their guard down. One friend had her phone snatched through the open window of a taxi!

If I have to use my phone on the street when I'm there, I back up to a wall or a shop window, so that I can see everyone around me. It looks like I should start doing that in the UK now!

747 jock
25th Nov 2018, 22:29
You would be dealing with their 'third party' insurance.
Damage to the police vehicle would be covered 'in house' (unless there was a realistic claim against the driver of the non-police vehicle).
Not according to this:
https://surrey.police.uk/policies-and-procedures/insurance-motor-vehicle-cover-procedure/
which clearly states that damage to police vehicles is covered by their insurance policy.

Introduction
Comprehensive motor insurance is purchased for Insured Vehicles used by Surrey and Sussex Police. The policy and claims are administered by the Joint Insurance Service team based at Horsham Police Station. An Insured Vehicle is a vehicle owned, leased, hired, sponsored or loaned to Surrey or Sussex Police which has been declared for insurance purposes.

The main features of the motor insurance policy are:
Damage to Insured Vehicles
The cost of recovery, repair or market value of any Insured Vehicle which sustains bodily damage or loss due to fire, theft, accidental or criminal damage.

krismiler
25th Nov 2018, 23:30
Motorbikes being used for thefts has been quite common in Saigon for a long time.

https://youtu.be/9EKqDCFcIck

eal401
26th Nov 2018, 09:41

Nice bigotry there.

ShyTorque
26th Nov 2018, 12:34
Jasper Carrot would never done moped violence on his funky moped :)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKnoffPV8m0

That song was violence itself - it could make ears bleed.

wiggy
26th Nov 2018, 12:46
That song was violence itself - it could make ears bleed.

Ah, Funky Moped..UK top 5 hit, produced by Jeffe Lynne of ELO fame.......and as connoisseurs of West Midlands music know the reason why Funky Moped did so well in the charts, having been released as the A side of a vinyl EP (remember them?), was what was on the B side......boinnnnng! :8

(warning NSFW etc...)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fCaeCPpsXV8

Deep and fast
27th Nov 2018, 12:51
If the IOPC stop this, then they aren't serving the public welfare and should be educated as such. These scum are carrying weapons and are using violence against the general public.
Smash the ****ers off and lock them up. We've been a pussy state for too long.

Pontius Navigator
27th Nov 2018, 15:30
If they break the law, and caught in the act and hot pursuit, they are outlaws. They have breached their victim's human rights; they have abrogated their rights to a human rights defence.

India Four Two
27th Nov 2018, 16:12
krismiler,

I had forgotten about that FMJ scene. These days, the thieves don't get off their bikes; they ride on the pavement/sidewalk if required!

Super VC-10
27th Nov 2018, 18:01
Ah, Funky Moped..UK top 5 hit, produced by Jeffe Lynne of ELO fame.......and as connoisseurs of West Midlands music know the reason why Funky Moped did so well in the charts, having been released as the A side of a vinyl EP (remember them?), was what was on the B side......boinnnnng! :8

(warning NSFW etc...)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fCaeCPpsXV8

Errm Wiggy, didn't you used to work with Jasper?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_ve63ToN_E

sitigeltfel
27th Nov 2018, 18:12
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/600x956/80-7e5f9009e8b84b1488c8351cda19d0b3ec657d3cf09ed61243e5147f5a5c 257e_6eda49a6c4515fb4282d5ec9955c90794be06293.jpg

Bee Rexit
27th Nov 2018, 22:01
"Diane Abbott‏Verified account @HackneyAbbott 12h12 hours ago

Knocking people off bikes is potentially very dangerous. It shouldn't be legal for anyone. Police are not above the law"

What an idiot this person is.

Lantern10
27th Nov 2018, 23:20
^ A Muppet of the highest order.

Tashengurt
28th Nov 2018, 09:48
Problem is, however much of an arse Ms Abbott may be she's right. Police can't be above the law and that means that there may be any number of policies in place saying "knock 'em off" but if one of them comes to harm then the Police drivers actions will be reviewed in a microscopic detail not available to them at the time of the pursuit. Any slight deviation from training or policy or anything deemed dangerous may see them incarcerated.
That's why we need a change in the law to remove culpability in criminal cases from those exercising lawful powers.

Krystal n chips
28th Nov 2018, 10:09
Problem is, however much of an arse Ms Abbott may be she's right. Police can't be above the law and that means that there may be any number of policies in place saying "knock 'em off" but if one of them comes to harm then the Police drivers actions will be reviewed in a microscopic detail not available to them at the time of the pursuit. Any slight deviation from training or policy or anything deemed dangerous may see them incarcerated.
That's why we need a change in the law to remove culpability in criminal cases from those exercising lawful powers.

That's a very good analysis of the policy .....however, and I will say openly in the context of the tactic, this is purely being a "devils advocate " and certainly not to be contentious, suppose, that, now the policy has received enough publicity and the recipients are aware of the Met's stated intent, after a period of time, and hopefully no fatalities( this potential probably having been covered with some interesting risk assessment statistics to justify the tactic) it gets quietly dropped as a standard response other than when it may be deemed operationally essential or words to that effect.

The above on the basis the Met have been seen to have acted, justifiably, and therefore can't subsequently be castigated for doing nothing.

Although from what I know, second hand obviously, from both Bil's who were former officers, police "management " are just like any other top layer when it comes to defending and protecting themselves by finding a convenient scapegoat to take the blame should fatalities result.

Pontius Navigator
28th Nov 2018, 10:11
Tash, same as for FAO's? The difference though, one presumes, is in the degree of crash/injury as it would not be feasible to suspend the driver after every controlled collision.

Gertrude the Wombat
28th Nov 2018, 13:16
Like in the US? Where policeman knows he will get away with shooting a child dead for "looking a bit black in a public place"? No thanks.

Tashengurt
28th Nov 2018, 15:53
Gertrude,
I meant no responsibility for the suspects actions rather than their own.

Meldrew
28th Nov 2018, 15:54
There has been an incident reported today about an act of “bullying” involving a kid attacking with a water bottle another kid reported as being of Iranian origin at a school. The offending child has been interviewed by police, presumambly with a potential intended prosecution. I guess this will be promalgated on “racial”grounds”
In my day, bullying would be dealt with by the Headmaster with a suitable thrashing. I know we are supposed to be very “PC” these days, but I think the police should have more important things to do than this.

Tashengurt
28th Nov 2018, 16:21
Meldrew, the sum of things that the Police deal with that you wouldn't think they would may surprise you.
Here's a few;
"There's a petrol can by the roadside. It's been there five days but I'm worried about it."
" My cupboard shelves are squeaking. I'm scared"
"Someone's letting off fireworks " (0005hrs 01/01/14)
"She called me a slag on Facey"
"I've taken an overdose."
"I feel like taking an overdose."
"There's a car I don't recognise in my street."
"There's a disruptive pupil in the school."
"I can't cope with my child. Take them away."

None of those were made up.

Meldrew
28th Nov 2018, 16:49
Tashengurt. I know what you mean. I am also aware that when other social services shut down for the night at around 5pm, the police have to take on those duties as well. Operating as a kind of taxi service!

NutLoose
28th Nov 2018, 16:53
There has been an incident reported today about an act of “bullying” involving a kid attacking with a water bottle another kid reported as being of Iranian origin at a school. The offending child has been interviewed by police, presumambly with a potential intended prosecution. I guess this will be promalgated on “racial”grounds”
In my day, bullying would be dealt with by the Headmaster with a suitable thrashing. I know we are supposed to be very “PC” these days, but I think the police should have more important things to do than this.

Agreed

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-46369501
Huddersfield school refugee 'attack' video: Boy, 16, to be charged

A 16-year-old boy is to be charged with assault after a video showing a 15-year-old Syrian refugee being attacked was shared on social media.

An online fundraising page set up to help the 15-year-old boy and his family has so far raised more than £50,000.

The last quote is probably coincidental in helping them settle in the UK and absolutely nothing to do with the above, however the BBC have added it which makes it read as if it does, which is bad form and just drives another wedge in society.

Pontius Navigator
28th Nov 2018, 16:55
Tashen, regarding the strange car in the street: daughter was dating a youth from the city. He visited and parked his rust heap, held together with paint, in the road outside our house. The police stopped and called and asked if we had seen anyone suspicious on account of the car.

On another occasion I found a petrol can in the street. It clearly belonged to a groundsman but had been there for a few days. I took it to one of the two police houses in the village, I think they had closed the office. His wife took it and it remained in their garden until they moved out.

Meldrew
28th Nov 2018, 17:06
I stand corrected. The kid was Syrian, not Iranian. However, my comments still apply.
Just to add, £50,000 In crowd funding so far? Thats well worth undergoing a bit if bulkying for!

Hydromet
28th Nov 2018, 20:57

Certainly, at my school. But it would probably the Iranian/Syrian kit that was thrashed by the racist bigot of a headmaster we had.

sitigeltfel
29th Nov 2018, 07:55
For Sale: Moped.

Has seen better days and may need a new seat. Steers to the left. Bargain at £25,000. No £2,500. Contact D. Abbott, Hackney.

( That should say £250.)

Pontius Navigator
29th Nov 2018, 08:38
Certainly, at my school. But it would probably the Iranian/Syrian kit that was thrashed by the racist bigot of a headmaster we had.
Or thrash both on the grounds that the victim caused the bully to retaliate, or even just the victim of the bully was a good liar.

Bee Rexit
29th Nov 2018, 13:29
I stand corrected. The kid was Syrian, not Iranian. However, my comments still apply.
Just to add, £50,000 In crowd funding so far? Thats well worth undergoing a bit if bulkying for!
Currently £130,000 !

golfbananajam
4th Dec 2018, 16:29
Met police officer could be charged for ramming moped

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-46440172
extracts from the article
A Met Police officer who knocked a teenager off a moped while employing a new ramming tactic could face criminal charges.
A file of evidence gathered by the police watchdog is to be passed to prosecutors and Scotland Yard.
If he is prosecuted, the officer could be charged with actual bodily harm or grievous bodily harm.
The Met could also decide if there is a case to answer for misconduct, which could result in dismissal
An IOPC spokesman said: "Ultimately no police tactic can ever be used with impunity in a country where we police by consent - be that tactical contact, the use of firearms or the use of restraint
Senior officers have defended the use of tactical contact, saying it was needed to stop dangerous chases and has helped reduce moped crime in London by more than a third.
The manoeuvre has also been backed by Prime Minister Theresa May, who said a "robust" response was needed from police to what she described as a growing problem of people using mopeds to commit crimes such as bag and phone-snatching.
But Labour has raised concerns about the approach, which shadow home secretary Diane Abbott said was "potentially very dangerous"

Personally, I think most people would consent tot he tactic if it stops the scroats

4th Dec 2018, 16:42
If the officer concerned does face charges then even if cleared, I can see that the use of mopeds in crime will increase drastically as no sane copper would want to risk their livelihood attempting to stop an offender.

Katamarino
4th Dec 2018, 17:23
Dianne Abbot's concern probably stems from the fact that those who carry out or support moped crime undoubtedly vote for her party.

Gertrude the Wombat
4th Dec 2018, 17:57
Personally, I think most people would consent tot he tactic if it stops the scroats
Maybe as far as a broken arm, but maybe not as far as brain damage or death.

Gertrude the Wombat
4th Dec 2018, 17:58
Dianne Abbot's concern probably stems from the fact that those who carry out or support moped crime undoubtedly vote for her party.
I'd think it's odds on they don't vote.

BirdmanBerry
4th Dec 2018, 19:13
Maybe as far as a broken arm, but maybe not as far as brain damage or death.

Those that commit the crimes couldn't give a shit about the damage they cause to their victims so why should any sane person give a damn about them? As soon as they pull a knife or gun they get everything they deserve IMHO.

DaveReidUK
4th Dec 2018, 20:18
Those that commit the crimes couldn't give a shit about the damage they cause to their victims so why should any sane person give a damn about them? As soon as they pull a knife or gun they get everything they deserve IMHO.

Bring back hanging, eh ?

BirdmanBerry
4th Dec 2018, 21:25
Did I say that? However if you pull a gun or a knife on someone you should expect to get hurt by the police.

the violence they use against people is disgusting and they do not give one hoot about their victims, therefore they should expect to be knocked off their (stolen) bikes and be made to realise they are not actually untouchable.

denachtenmai
4th Dec 2018, 21:58
Bring back hanging, eh ?

And why not?

gemma10
4th Dec 2018, 21:58
I'd think it's odds on they don't vote.

I`d think it`s odds on they can`t write.

Gertrude the Wombat
4th Dec 2018, 22:09
I`d think it`s odds on they can`t write.
When I've run polling stations in Eastern Europe it's always been part of the training what the rules are for illiterate voters (who is allowed to go into the polling booth with them to read them the ballot paper, that sort of thing).

I just realise that I have no knowledge at all of what the equivalent rules in the UK. Maybe the assumption is just that illiterate people don't vote.

Edit to add:

And a Google for "uk illiterate voters" doesn't find the rules, it just finds pages and pages about #brexit.

gemma10
4th Dec 2018, 22:14
Wish I had added the word- either.

skydiver69
4th Dec 2018, 22:35
In recent days both Theresa May and Sajid Javid have backed the tactic but neither of them will be in court facing assault charges should the IOPC or CPS decide that it was unlawful. I'd therefore like to know if they will back up their fine words with actions and do something which will protect the officers involved, otherwise their fine words will be worth nothing.

redsnail
4th Dec 2018, 22:48
I think it's just procedure. Someone's been injured by police action. Set up the enquiry and ensure proper process was carried out. Just like if someone is shot by police. Simple accountability so the police don't go too far.
The perpetrator concerned was discharged from hospital with no significant injury and plead guilty to 3 crimes.

DaveReidUK
5th Dec 2018, 08:42
I think it's just procedure. Someone's been injured by police action. Set up the enquiry and ensure proper process was carried out. Just like if someone is shot by police. Simple accountability so the police don't go too far.

Exactly. As the BBC article makes clear, in fact.

Pontius Navigator
5th Dec 2018, 09:04
GTW, I would apply the same rules as for someone with disabilities. A carer could assist.

Magnifers are provided for the poor sighted and templates for the blind and low booths for wheelchairs . Still there are those that need a carer.

One who can't read could have a carer. I shall make a point if asking at our next training session.

Gertrude the Wombat
5th Dec 2018, 18:58
GTW, I would apply the same rules as for someone with disabilities. A carer could assist.

Magnifers are provided for the poor sighted and templates for the blind and low booths for wheelchairs . Still there are those that need a carer.

One who can't read could have a carer. I shall make a point if asking at our next training session.
On one occasion a slightly bemused presiding officer came out of a polling station where I and representatives of the other parties were sitting in a row telling. "There's an elderly disabled woman in a car outside," he said, "who says she can't easily walk into the polling station, but is keen on voting in person which is why she hasn't asked for a postal vote, and she is asking if I can take a ballot paper out to the car for her to fill in. Is this OK with you?"

Totally illegal of course. But naturally we all said "yes, that's fine by us" and he went ahead. The traditional pragmatic British approach to rules.

An approach used for disabled voters that I've seen elsewhere is that the staff drive round to these people's houses, with a ballot box, during the few days before the election, so that they can vote at home.

Pontius Navigator
5th Dec 2018, 19:15
An approach used for disabled voters that I've seen elsewhere is that the staff drive round to these people's houses, with a ballot box, during the few days before the election, so that they can vote at home.
Never heard of that as we don't meet until polling day and the ballot box is demonstrably empty and only sealed at 7am.

Gertrude the Wombat
5th Dec 2018, 19:34
Never heard of that as we don't meet until polling day and the ballot box is demonstrably empty and only sealed at 7am.
I don't know how the reconciliation worked in that case either, I was only involved with the polling stations. This was a country where ballot boxes were transparent - I haven't thought how that changes things, except obviously that they can be both sealed and seen to be empty at the same time.