PDA

View Full Version : The Honourable Company of Air Pilots Aptitude Assessments

MrOrange
23rd Nov 2018, 13:33
I'm hoping to embark on a modular course in the near future to earn my ATPL. Before I start, I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to try one of the Honourable Company of Air Pilots aptitude assessments.

Has anyone got any experience with these and was it worthwhile?

Does anyone have any tips on how to prepare?

Thank you in advance!

jez d
23rd Nov 2018, 14:48
HCAP's aptitude tests have been around for a long time and are based on those used by the RAF (the tests take place at RAF Cranwell). They used to be the only independent tests available (i.e. not affiliated with a school so no commercial imperative to pass you if you're below standard). I would certainly recommend taking one. As the test is designed to gauge your ability to learn to become a pilot, rather than assessing how good a pilot you already are, you probably shouldn't do too much prep ahead of undertaking one (they are assessing your potential not your current knowledge level). That said, brushing up on your mental arithmetic wouldn't hurt and there's a handy book you could purchase called Mental Math for Pilots, available from most online pilot shops.

para_trooper
23rd Nov 2018, 15:16
I attended the aptitude test at RAF Cranwell organised by The Honourable Company... in October. I did it primarily as an assurance as I embark on ATPLs and would highly recommend it along with all of the advice from Jez d. As Jez D mentioned, ensure your basic mental maths is at top form before you attend, otherwise there's nothing else you can really do apart from make sure you turn up in plenty of time and not stressed or tired.

MrOrange
23rd Nov 2018, 15:24
Spot on, thank you. In terms of mental arithmetic, is it just read a problem and apply the appropriate maths to resolve it?

Addition, subtraction, multiplication, percentages and fractions are definitely no issue, but I should probably refresh myself on long and short division. Is there anything else to consider?

para_trooper
23rd Nov 2018, 19:00
Yes, that's it, just simple addition, subtraction, multiplication and maybe division. Very simple sums you'll just be managing three other tasks at the same time.

MrOrange
24th Nov 2018, 09:32
That sounds fine; I should have no problem with that. Thank you!