PDA

View Full Version : EU Captain to US Captain

Breakthesilence
23rd Nov 2018, 12:05
Hi guys,

I'm here to ask for some suggestions. I'm a B737 Captain in my 30s in Europe and my father is a US Citizen so I wouldn't have difficulties in having a green card sponsored by him.
I'm considering to get a FAA ATP to expand my chances of moving somewhere out of Europe to make new experiences and discover a different area of the world.

What I need to know is if, in your honest opinion, considering the T&C in the US and the current situation there regarding seniority, it would be wise to have a try or not. I'm attracted by Hawaii but other places would be ok, especially if able to fly some old airliners that will be soon retired (757, md11 etc.)

Thank you for your kind help.

Regards
BTS

bafanguy
23rd Nov 2018, 12:35
Bts,

Your thread title says captain to captain so I assume that's the plan about which you're asking. Unless you have previous FAA Part 121 experience, you'd be unable to slide in here as a captain straight away...regardless of your experience. It's a government thing.

Read this FAR with attention to section (a)(3):

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/121.436#

You've got the legal ability to work solved via your dad's citizenship.

As far as T & C, only you can answer that. There are some outfits with fabulous deals...and probably more with terrible deals.

With your experience and a green card you might just be legacy airline bait once you've got an FAA ATP (the seniority structure just is what it is). Do you have a 4-year college degree ?

Breakthesilence
23rd Nov 2018, 13:42
Bts,

Your thread title says captain to captain so I assume that's the plan about which you're asking. Unless you have previous FAA Part 121 experience, you'd be unable to slide in here as a captain straight away...regardless of your experience. It's a government thing.

Read this FAR with attention to section (a)(3):

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/121.436#

You've got the legal ability to work solved via your dad's citizenship.

As far as T & C, only you can answer that. There are some outfits with fabulous deals...and probably more with terrible deals.

With your experience and a green card you might just be legacy airline bait once you've got an FAA ATP (the seniority structure just is what it is). Do you have a 4-year college degree ?

The plan was that, to move as a Captain. I didn't know it was like that...sorry to say that but in my opinion is a bit stupid. As far as company policies are concerned I can understand, but by the government...seriously!?

Regarding the college degree, if you mean the University degree, I don't have it; I have the High School Diploma.

Many thanks for your help!

MarkerInbound
23rd Nov 2018, 14:27
In addition to the 1000 hour 121 time requirement any of the airlines you could name in the USA have a strict seniority system. EVERYTHING is based on date of hire. Choice of type, schedule, rate of pay, vacation, everything. When you get hired you are the bottom of the list so you get what no one else wants. The 1000 hours is not a problem at the major airlines because you will sit right seat for a few years. I did hear Delta was close to a one year upgrade for New York based MD-80 Captains a while back but that's not normal. Probably because no one wanted to sit reserve in NY. Some of the regional airlines are having the opposite problem. They are bleeding Captains to the majors so fast that their upgrade is less than a year and they have pilots who could hold the upgrade by seniority but don't have the time. So a pilot junior to them on the seniority list is upgraded. However that pilot is stuck at the bottom of the Captains list longer because when the first pilot finally gets their 1000 hours PIC and upgrades they move back ahead of them on the Captains list.

The 1000 hour 121 time requirement is fallout from a crash in 2009. While both pilots had more than 1500 hours TT there were several changes made to ATP training requirements and airline operations.

bafanguy
23rd Nov 2018, 21:13
The plan was that, to move as a Captain. I didn't know it was like that...
Regarding the college degree, if you mean the University degree, I don't have it; I have the High School Diploma.

Bts,

Your plan may not suit you due to circumstances here but you're wise to inquire about options. With a green card and your experience, you certainly appear to have options here but not quite under the idea you had in mind.

The university degree matter has been extensively debated. But the opinion of applicants doesn't count; the opinion of those doing the hiring matters. There are airlines here where it wouldn't be a deal breaker but you may not want to abandon your current gig and work for these companies.

You do have options which gives you a leg up on things. Good luck to you.

havick
23rd Nov 2018, 23:27
Double check your green card eligibility. If you’re over 21 and married that complicates things, and slows your green card app down to years from only 6-9 months.

fuelsurvey
24th Nov 2018, 00:19
Definitely double check the green card process. You may already be a US citizen depending on how much time your dad spent in the U.S as a child.

If you don't qualify for citizenship the wait can be very long. My mom is a US citizen and sponsored me in 2001. It took 12 years to get my green card!

Squawk7777
24th Nov 2018, 15:42
Whatever your odds are in obtaining your Green Card, double or triple check your option to obtain US citizenship. MAKE SURE you are aware of the intrusive US tax laws even if you have dual citizenship.

I used to be a big advocate of obtaining the US citizenship, now with a better understanding of tax laws, CRS etc. keep your green card!

misd-agin
24th Nov 2018, 16:07
You're in your 30's. Take a long term, and not short term, view of the future. Are you better off staying overseas? Or would getting your 4 yr degree in the U.S. while you're at a regional airline flying 121 flying be a better long term option? With no four year degree, no 121 time, and thinking that you could go from Captain overseas to Captain in the U.S., you need to research what the criteria and typical resume of U.S. new hires are.

zondaracer
24th Nov 2018, 16:58
Whatever your odds are in obtaining your Green Card, double or triple check your option to obtain US citizenship. MAKE SURE you are aware of the intrusive US tax laws even if you have dual citizenship.

I used to be a big advocate of obtaining the US citizenship, now with a better understanding of tax laws, CRS etc. keep your green card!
This is a valid point. Also, green card holders are subject to the same tax laws. If you hold a green card for 8 years in the prior 15 years, and you renounce your green card, your are subject to the same exit tax as a US Citizen renouncing their citizenship.

Squawk7777
24th Nov 2018, 19:01
This is a valid point. Also, green card holders are subject to the same tax laws. If you hold a green card for 8 years in the prior 15 years, and you renounce your green card, your are subject to the same exit tax as a US Citizen renouncing their citizenship.

Interesting. I wonder if from a tax perspective there's any difference now between a GC holder and a US citizen.

zondaracer
24th Nov 2018, 19:22
Yes, green card holders are treated the same as US citizens for tax purposes. The only difference is that if a green card holder, who does not meet the 8 years in past 15, renounces their residency, they do not have to pay the exit tax. This exit tax applied to citizens and long term green card holders alike and they are taxed on their entire net worth and treated as income in the event they renounce citizenship/permanent residency. There is a threshold ($2 million USD) for the exit tax which is pretty high, but well within reach of an airline pilot in the US.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2017/02/27/renounce-u-s-heres-how-irs-computes-exit-tax/amp/

Also, all green card holders are taxed on their worldwide income, same as a US citizen.

fuelsurvey
24th Nov 2018, 23:05
Additionally, your dad will need to be domiciled in the U.S at the time of the visa interview. If he's not living in the U.S now and has no plans to do so in the future you won't be eligible.
The I-864, Affidavit of Support is the part of the application that requires this.
You can file the i-130 and start the application without meeting the domicile requirements.

Breakthesilence
26th Nov 2018, 17:56
Great help and support guys, I really appreciate your messages and time spent to give me your suggestions and infos.

Sometimes it's easy to imagine a different life, different airplane (I'm an old romantic in aviation and one of the things I like of US aviation is the chances to fly old airliners) etc.
I admit, my job here in Europe is very good, working 15-17 days per month on a fixed roster, every day at home and money is like the EU average (getting a bit better slowly).
Maybe it's the will to find new adventures and the fear of routine that makes me, and a lot of people, dreaming of something different :)