PDA

View Full Version : Singapore Airlines - Second Officer

Whatthef
23rd Nov 2018, 11:30
Hi guys,

Has any international applicant been invited to Singapore for SO assessment or are they only considering locals for SO?

I know they went to UK a couple of months ago for SO/FO recruitment but haven't heard of any other nationalities getting invited.

Cheers

cruisepower
17th Sep 2019, 18:17
I got invited for DESO any one attending soon?
Anyone passed the sim stage successfully?

please help

Vinceochoa
29th Sep 2019, 23:58
Did anyone get this position? Applied on September 15th and haven’t heard anything. Anyone know how long it takes for them to respond? Any information about the position appreciated.

mcchow
13th Nov 2019, 05:46
Hi guys
Does anyone know if SIA allows one to reapply for the DESO position again after failing at the simulator assesment? If yes,how long is the cooling off period before being able to re submit my application.Thanks

marchua14
17th Dec 2019, 05:07
Hi

Went for the SIA DESO sim assessment and passed. Sim assessment was raw data flying, 45 angle bank , maintaining speed and altitude , ILS approach, Visual Approach. Examiners are looking more to your Attitude throughout the sim sesh, how fast you pick up thing/improve, your willingness to learn,soft skills , communications etc.

gogutten
6th Jan 2020, 15:16
Hi guys.

Anyone knows if its possible to apply for DESO (Direct Entry Second Officer) without having ICAO level 6?? It only states you should be able to demonstrate it, which is still possible even if the level is lower. They dont ask if you actually have level 6..I have level 5 and are working on my CV / Cover Letter these days. Anyone knows?? Or should I wait till I get 1500 hrs and apply for the first officer programme?

Thanks.

cruisepower
21st Jan 2020, 17:28
Hi guys.

Anyone knows if its possible to apply for DESO (Direct Entry Second Officer) without having ICAO level 6?? It only states you should be able to demonstrate it, which is still possible even if the level is lower. They dont ask if you actually have level 6..I have level 5 and are working on my CV / Cover Letter these days. Anyone knows?? Or should I wait till I get 1500 hrs and apply for the first officer programme?

Thanks.

you do not need level 6. I have level 4 and attended the assessments. My advise is better apply for second officer it takes around only 6 months to be promoted to first officer.

gogutten
23rd Jan 2020, 15:54
Thanks for the answer. 6 months is not too bad but I do imagine that SIA is a very hard airline to get into and not sure what they prefer. I am better off applying anyway, at least I have a chance. No matter how slim but I might be lucky as well. I have only 200 hrs and EASA licence and Scandinavian origin. Maybe not the average SIA pilot but I believe ethnic diversity could be advantageous. But thats me.

cruisepower
25th Jan 2020, 04:36
Thanks for the answer. 6 months is not too bad but I do imagine that SIA is a very hard airline to get into and not sure what they prefer. I am better off applying anyway, at least I have a chance. No matter how slim but I might be lucky as well. I have only 200 hrs and EASA licence and Scandinavian origin. Maybe not the average SIA pilot but I believe ethnic diversity could be advantageous. But thats me.

I doubt they care about nationality but priority always goes to the locals, PR holders and Malaysians. If they need pilots they will will hire expats.

There is nothing wrong in trying, you apply and see. Either you get it or not get it you won’t lose anything.

avidflyer69
28th Jan 2020, 09:37
I doubt they care about nationality but priority always goes to the locals, PR holders and Malaysians. If they need pilots they will will hire expats.

There is nothing wrong in trying, you apply and see. Either you get it or not get it you won’t lose anything.Hi, I was just wondering how did you do in the sim stage? Was it pretty much the same with what was posted on some other thread? Did you get a job offer with SIA?

Fweinngd
29th Jan 2020, 10:46
Hi

Went for the SIA DESO sim assessment and passed. Sim assessment was raw data flying, 45 angle bank , maintaining speed and altitude , ILS approach, Visual Approach. Examiners are looking more to your Attitude throughout the sim sesh, how fast you pick up thing/improve, your willingness to learn,soft skills , communications etc.

May I know how long it took you from applying to attending the assessment?

marchua14
29th Mar 2020, 17:18
yes u can apply even without it. i did

cruisepower
30th Mar 2020, 11:59
All recruitments are suspended due to the Covid19 crisis. Those who got the offer letters recently were asked not to come until further notice.

gogutten
1st Apr 2020, 21:55
I have applied for the DESO positions in February but expects no replies in these days due to the COVID-19 crisis. But the status says: "In review", anyone knows what that means? Am I still under consideration or may I have been rejected but the status just hasn`t been updated from their point? Only shortlisted candidates are notified but no clear indications of me having been rejected so the hope is still there :O

danial2810
2nd Apr 2020, 05:21
Hello everyone,

Is there a study/info group for the interviews? If not let's start one in preparation for when recruitment opens again. My telegram is danial2810.

Thanks!

cruisepower
3rd Apr 2020, 04:05
I have applied for the DESO positions in February but expects no replies in these days due to the COVID-19 crisis. But the status says: "In review", anyone knows what that means? Am I still under consideration or may I have been rejected but the status just hasn`t been updated from their point? Only shortlisted candidates are notified but no clear indications of me having been rejected so the hope is still there :O

if it’s in review that means they are looking at it but by no any means that it’s an indication that you will be called. When I applied it was under review for a very long time and they will notify you through email.

but with the current situation I would say don’t expect anything for this whole year cause there are many those who got the offer letter got the don’t come please wait letters.

captain.weird
9th Apr 2020, 09:41
Are there actually expat DESOs hired by SIA in the last year? I also applied back in the day as DESO (fresh fATPL back then) but never heard of them.

cruisepower
9th Apr 2020, 10:19
Are there actually expat DESOs hired by SIA in the last year? I also applied back in the day as DESO (fresh fATPL back then) but never heard of them.

yes there are a few, but not fresh CPL holders. They already had some flying experience ie instructor, turboprop pilots etc. Although the min requirement is CPL they tend to hire those with some flying experience.

cruisepower
10th Apr 2020, 18:50
Hello everyone,

Is there a study/info group for the interviews? If not let's start one in preparation for when recruitment opens again. My telegram is danial2810.

Thanks!

remember the interview is the easy part! What they really look is your manual flying skills, they are very keen on it so when you get invited in the future try hiring a sim and practice manual flying of a jet aircraft.

gogutten
13th Apr 2020, 12:23
Thanks, very informative answer. I do also read that they prefer those with some experience, too bad that there is as far as I can see, not possible to update the existing application as I am gaining flight experience. But due to the crisis even my local flying club is closed for recreational flights so its not easy nowadays..
And since I lack sufficient experience, I consider my chances of getting invited for selection are rather low..but noone knows. Time will tell.

cruisepower
15th Apr 2020, 06:36
Thanks, very informative answer. I do also read that they prefer those with some experience, too bad that there is as far as I can see, not possible to update the existing application as I am gaining flight experience. But due to the crisis even my local flying club is closed for recreational flights so its not easy nowadays..
And since I lack sufficient experience, I consider my chances of getting invited for selection are rather low..but noone knows. Time will tell.

i understand, nothing is uncertain in the current situation. If they do hire for some reason I assume they will call those who already passed the assessment but again it’s very unlikely they will hire anytime soon. For the time being we just have to be stay safe, positive, prepare for a worst case scenario eg having a backup job or studies and just go with the flow. Good luck!