PDA

View Full Version : The last Spitfire ace and the Gulf war veteran from The Times

Lyneham Lad
21st Nov 2018, 17:53
An interesting read in The Times today. (https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-last-spitfire-ace-and-the-gulf-war-pilot-vxtdsfwgj?shareToken=3b7449178a0073ca0a937f6b65517f11)

Tashengurt
21st Nov 2018, 18:30
I think someones recognition skills have perished if he's seeing Starlifters

MPN11
21st Nov 2018, 18:31
Nice link. At least in my case it broke The Times paywall :)

Allan Scott, DFM, squadron leader (retired), is one of the last surviving men to have flown Spitfires in anger during the Second World War. What’s more, Scott is an accredited “ace”, an accolade bestowed on those pilots who amassed five or more definite kills of enemy aircraft. Scott accumulated six kills — one over the Channel in 1941, five more during the defence of Malta in 1942. He also claims a further seven “probables”, meaning his sole responsibility for total destruction of the target cannot be confirmed. Still, whether he can claim six or thirteen victims, or some number in between, we can surely agree this particular 97-year-old gentleman is a bona fide hero.

Another of Danny42C's vintage. They're getting rarer.

treadigraph
21st Nov 2018, 23:06
I think someones recognition skills have perished if he's seeing Starlifters
I suppose a C-17 is sorta close. Love to see a Starlifter airborne again...

Tankertrashnav
22nd Nov 2018, 17:50
From yesterday's printed version "...John Nichol is a pilot shot down in the Gulf". I was going to write to the Times and inform them that Nichol was in fact a navigator, but then I thought "Oh why bother?", to journos all aircrew are pilots. Anyway, I see from the above link they got it right in the online version. Good article though, better than the rambling tripe that Crampton normally turns out.