PDA

View Full Version : Lagonda. A few surprises here.

Loose rivets
21st Nov 2018, 11:57
Well, for me anyway. From the absurd to the breathtaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NtDIEL3_Aw&fbclid=IwAR0XxrHin3ltIiMRONmdxd_SpUJsOV6IUs6VahbXAyfC0iGYdoX xW5TPt9A&app=desktop

Noah Zark.
21st Nov 2018, 23:42
An interesting film, LR. Although t is a long time since I have seen one, the Lagonda Rapide shown in the clip bore a slight resemblance to the French built Facel Vega.

JWP1938
22nd Nov 2018, 09:24
An interesting film, LR. Although t is a long time since I have seen one, the Lagonda Rapide shown in the clip bore a slight resemblance to the French built Facel Vega.
Back in 1960, when we had a quiet period at work we used to read car magazines and one had a road test of a second-hand Facel Vega (HK500?). They quoted a genuine cruising speed of 140 mph. Pretty impressive for those times.

Fareastdriver
22nd Nov 2018, 10:33
It would be pretty impressive if 1960s tyres could sustain a 140 mph. cruise.

G-CPTN
22nd Nov 2018, 10:50
It would be pretty impressive if 1960s tyres could sustain a 140 mph. cruise.
Avon Turbospeed (http://www.avonmotorsport.com/historic/road-legal/turbospeed).

cattletruck
23rd Nov 2018, 08:16
How timely. Last Saturday night when leaving after a coffee at the usual place and walking past the same old boring Lambos, Ferraris, Mopars, etc, etc was a car I actually found interesting (it was dark) - it said Rapide on the back and when I asked my mate to look at the badge at the front he said it read "Lotus".

It was pretty modern looking and something quite different from the "usual" crapola I witness on a Saturday night.

Ancient Mariner
23rd Nov 2018, 09:41
How timely. Last Saturday night when leaving after a coffee at the usual place and walking past the same old boring Lambos, Ferraris, Mopars, etc, etc was a car I actually found interesting (it was dark) - it said Rapide on the back and when I asked my mate to look at the badge at the front he said it read "Lotus".

It was pretty modern looking and something quite different from the "usual" crapola I witness on a Saturday night.
Aston Martin Rapide?
Per

Fareastdriver
23rd Nov 2018, 09:54
G-CPTN

From your link:

The Turbospeed is a very high quality crossply design for the select range of cars capable of speeds up to 130mph (210kmh). Original appearance combines with the highest quality construction for authenticity on classic high speed vehicles.

Turbospeed are old pattern tyres made TODAY with modern materials.

cattletruck
23rd Nov 2018, 10:24
Aston Martin Rapide?
Per

Dunno for sure, but it caught my eye which I thought unusual as I don't possess the car gene. I googled it later and yes it did look very much like a modern Aston Martin Rapide. Amazing styling and wished I could own it - if not for the price tag.

http://cdn.astonmartin.com/sitefinity-dealerwebsites/uk/rapide-shadow-edition---3.jpg?sfvrsn=0

Ancient Mariner
23rd Nov 2018, 12:22
Dunno for sure, but it caught my eye which I thought unusual as I don't possess the car gene. I googled it later and yes it did look very much like a modern Aston Martin Rapide. Amazing styling and wished I could own it - if not for the price tag.

Don't know where you live, but you can take comfort in the fact that it will be way more expensive here in Vikingland. Sadly.
Per

Loose rivets
23rd Nov 2018, 17:37
I get the tightest scringe of my anal sphincter when I think I pushed my first E-Type to 165 mph, the fastest I've ever driven. I had not a real detailed knowledge about tyres then, provided they looked reasonably okay, though my MkII had Pirelli Cinturatos, so I suppose I set some standards, but even one of those had a side-wall failure. Pirelli reps, four of them in their office, said it must be a cut. Lying #@$ but back to the fast run.

It must have been about 1965, and my 750 quid car was not fettled to any particular standard. For some reason it just never seemed to run out of go, much, much faster then the later 4.2 I had. I sold that for 750 as well. Both were white with chrome wires and black leather. Apart from the money, I wouldn't want one now. I view it as too narrow with wheels that were so close together I it was like a bicycle by today's standards.

The period when wheels became metric and then back to inches. Not sure when, but it was a problem on my Supra and my 7 series BMW. So hard to get tyres.

Cross ply. My Supra had the big Avons as a replacement for the Michelins. They were so poor by comparison that an Avon bod, a real gentleman, came down to Frinton and agreed to replace them.