PDA

View Full Version : Green cards for Canadian pilots

B737NOTGOOD
21st Nov 2018, 09:52
Hello, OK, please don't yell at me. I heard recently from a 767 Air Canada Captain that due to the shortage of pilot in the US and the fact that A/C are parked instead of flying, congress was considering allowing Canadian pilots green cards. There was also discussion around this fits Mr. Trumps immigration policies better. AKA. educated professionals. :)

bafanguy
21st Nov 2018, 10:39
B737NOTGOOD,

I suppose lots of ideas get kicked around in government but I haven't heard of anything as specific (Canadian pilots) as you describe. Lots of scuttlebutt available but I don't think the situation here is as dire as what your Air Canada source describes. A US regional or two has taken a handful of Canadians but it's hardly enough to indicate a wave of desperation here.

There's this arrangement already on the books...certainly subject to change I suppose:

“You must have a U.S. company sponsor you for a green card. With the exception of the EB-1 (extraordinary ability), you cannot get a green card without a sponsor.”

“The EB-1 category is reserved for an exclusive group of people, and it likely will not apply to 99% of all applicants.”

Canadians in U.S.A. - Getting a Green Card (http://canadiansinusa.com/Getting-a-Green-Card/employment-based-green-cards.html)

Octane
22nd Nov 2018, 04:45
"With the exception of the EB-1 (extraordinary ability), you cannot get a green card without a sponsor.”

“The EB-1 category is reserved for an exclusive group of people, and it likely will not apply to 99% of all applicants.”

Melania got one no problem. I suppose you'd have to be extraordinary to put up with... :}

bafanguy
22nd Nov 2018, 10:04

Melania got one no problem.

No surprise there.