PDA

View Full Version : Spoken english no longer prevalent at EK

falconeasydriver
20th Nov 2018, 14:32
During my recent visitation to Dubai I was fortunate enough to catch up with a mate who is a long term EK employee who was relatively recently rehoused in Meydan South.
My first impression of the place wasn’t favourable but that wasn’t my only interesting observation.
At his insistence we went for a wander amongst the rows of Villas, and apart from the large number of empty properties I was staggered to notice the complete lack of English being spoken by the many others out and about enjoying the mild evening.
There seemed to be lots of Spanish, Portuguese and even a bit of Arabic being spoken, but literally not one word of English was spoken within earshot of me.
My question to those on here is, has the demographic at EK changed THAT much in the last 2years since I’ve left? It really did sound to me more like Madrid or Barcelona than Dubai.
Just an observation.

aeropix
20th Nov 2018, 17:47
It's always been common in any expat community for people from similar backgrounds to socialize on their own time. If they were in mixed company they would revert to English. So, nothing new to see here - just normal expat social circles.

desertcamel
21st Nov 2018, 07:00
They're not in the cockpit, so I guess they can speak whatever they want and however they want. Unless there's a big issue not conforming with the english language, while in their own backyard.

eagle21
21st Nov 2018, 11:55
What difference does it make what the demographics are? Maybe the EK management have found that the overall standard from those backgrounds is superior to other nationalities? There is no such thing as “expats” in any case, if you work and live in a different country to yours then you are an inmigrant regardless of your country of origin.

newscaster
21st Nov 2018, 12:45
What difference does it make what the demographics are? Maybe the EK management have found that the overall standard from those backgrounds is superior to other nationalities? There is no such thing as “expats” in any case, if you work and live in a different country to yours then you are an inmigrant regardless of your country of origin.

Immigrant is same as expat? expats can be expelled at any time, immigrants cannot.

givemewings
21st Nov 2018, 15:02
Expats generally go to another country with the intention to work/study/experience the culture then eventually return home.

Immigrants generally don't go back and leave their own country for any number of reasons, often not by (a lot of) choice.

they absolutely are two different things.

eagle21
21st Nov 2018, 15:17
The point is that both the Indian and Filipino workers are expats too just like you. Why most of you (UK pilots) fail to talk about EU workers in the UK as Expats? Or correctly address those retired UK citizens in the Costas in Spain as inmigrants?

nonsense
21st Nov 2018, 16:02
Having been both an ex-pat and an immigrant, the transition occurs when you decide to stay permanently.
My father emigrated from New Zealand to the UK with no plans to return in the foreseeable future (it was 1952; you couldn't hop on a 747 and go home for xmas for a week or two's wages!)).
In 1968 we came to Australia for a three year contract, extended to five in 1971, making us expatriates until in 1973 when my parents decided to stay here, transitioning from ex-pats from the UK to immigrants.

nolimitholdem
22nd Nov 2018, 03:26
I think falcon was just asking about a perceived demographic shift in the pilot hiring at EK, which seems a fair question and observation.

Not that the expat/immigrant debate isn't fascinating.

In my own time there I do recall the regular mutilation of the English language, so I can't really think that anything has changed much.

ICAO Level 6, my ass.

falconeasydriver
22nd Nov 2018, 07:45
Just to reiterate, what nolimitholdem said.

donpizmeov
22nd Nov 2018, 08:43
I know exactly what you mean. I was speaking with a fella from New Zealand the other day .He said he had an ELP 6 .or it could have been he had elf sex .it was hard to tell.

fighterkok
22nd Nov 2018, 17:19
I know exactly what you mean. I was speaking with a fella from New Zealand the other day .He said he had an ELP 6 .or it could have been he had elf sex .it was hard to tell.

Brilliant Don, for bist effict, rid out aloud

FK

Pif Paf
23rd Nov 2018, 18:34
ATC: "qatar (emirates) xxx. qatar (emirates) xxx"
No responce / Silence
ATC qatar (emirates) xxx. qatar (emirates) xxx I am calling you, and you are not responding with the necessary"
Capt: "That call was for us."
FO "Que?"
Capt:"K - no ATC?"
FO: "ATC Si."
Capt: "C - no ATC?"
FO "Si ATC'."
Capt: " What?"
FO: "Si - Que, 'what'."
Capt: "Put your headset on and answer the b*****y radio?"
- courtesy of fawlty towers!

fatbus
23rd Nov 2018, 23:32