View Full Version : ATC English Language

19th Nov 2018, 01:39
If i was an ATC, i would have at least ICAO4 english level.
So,how can i know if i have the ICAO4 level?
Where can i test my english language and get the certification?
How do i apply the english test?

19th Nov 2018, 09:32
Whatever the English requirements for controllers might be in law, they should be level 6, otherwise pilots will be forever replying "say again." If it is level 4, then they'll be forever saying "words twice slowly."

It may be best to enquire of your own authority for the answer to your question.

19th Nov 2018, 11:44
Really thank you so much for your answer,,,
and would you like to answer my these questions :

I want to ask that how does a controller in faa to certificate his english?

Where should he test his english proficiency and what's the test name?

19th Nov 2018, 15:18
It might help you to consult ICAO Doc 9835 (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwjpysGR7eDeAhXhJsAKHXQzAggQFjAAegQICBAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww4.icao.int%2Faelts%2Fuploads%2Ficao%252 0doc9835%25202nd%2520edition.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0om-zTweKfuyKpZygABUCY)

21st Nov 2018, 01:22
If i was an American,how many test should i take to become a controller?
And what's the test name?

22nd Nov 2018, 00:03
In the FAA system there is no official test for English proficiency. The regulations require ATC controllers to be able to "read, write and understand the English language and speak it without accent or impediment of speech that would interfere with two way radio conversation." The person conducting the examination of the controller for their certification would talk with the controller and determine they are able to speak and understand English. The reality is the instruction for FAA ATC personal is a 3 month training program. There are requirements that must be met to enroll in the training program, either college or work experience. If a person was not able to read, write, understand and speak English they would not be able to enter the training program.

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Nov 2018, 15:43
Here in Britain classification is by a suitably qualified examiner. Level 4 is a minimum standard, 5 is high proficiency but not native, 6 is native standard. It's pretty obvious to a native English speaking examiner if their candidate is at level 5 or 6. 4 is more ambiguous, but can be awarded and tends to be to minimum standard candidates from non English speaking countries.

There are plenty of online services for training and testing - just search online. I would suggest looking to Europe, not the USA - Americans speak a dialect of English that can be somewhat different to ICAO standards. In Europe people like the French or Germans will be working in a second language, so tend to be much more careful about their adherence to ICAO language standards.


23rd Nov 2018, 14:18
Here in Britain classification is by a suitably qualified examiner. At a suitably qualified English Language Assessment Centre approved by the UK CAA. There are only 4 such centres in the UK one of whom only offers this service to their own students.
The organisations are:
Anglo-Continental Educational Group Limited Bournemouth
Language Testing and Assessment Services Ltd Bournemouth
Mayflower College of English Ltd Plymouth
CAE Oxford Aviation Academy Oxford

As ELP assessments only appeared to be recognised by the state that issued it, any ELP testing should be combined with the relevant licence training.

26th Nov 2018, 09:48
Very appreciate to your answers!