PDA

View Full Version : Children in Need

BehindBlueEyes
16th Nov 2018, 12:47
Am I a real mizzog? Fed up to the back teeth already and the eveningís TV Ďentertainmentí hasnít even started. Already had it all over the morning news, been accosted at the supermarket by giant yellow people waving a bucket under my nose and witnessed grown adults wearing false spotted ears.

Have now turned off all external electronic devices (except iPad) and selected a good paperback to settle down with tonight.

G-CPTN
16th Nov 2018, 14:29
I went into town today and visited the main supermarkets - not a sign of any yellow animals or bucket rattlers.
As I don't currently listen to the Beeb (or watch television) I am devoid of any CIN stimuli.

treadigraph
16th Nov 2018, 14:51
It's a very good reason to go out to the pub this evening. Not that I wouldn't go there anyway...

sitigeltfel
16th Nov 2018, 15:24
During one TV commercial break earlier in the week, three out of the four adverts were charities wanting donations, and peak compassion fatigue has now set in. Hearing that their chief execs are trousering upwards of £250K doesnt help either. They obviously believe the old saying that charity begins at home.

Andy_S
16th Nov 2018, 15:39
Why does Children In Need, specifically, justify such a high profile campaign? Why not one of many other worthy charities?

KelvinD
16th Nov 2018, 16:25
There appears to be some sort of official bias toward Children in Need. When I was "flogging" poppies for the RBL some years ago, it was explained to me how we were under strict orders not to start the collecting/selling until 2 weeks before Remembrance Day. Children in Need, on the other hand, seem to have a special dispensation to begin their activities more or less when they like. I remember they used to begin before we in the RBL were allowed to and that caused to have a down on C.I.N. I shall be avoiding anything on the telly to do with them this evening (and probably tomorrow too).

RedhillPhil
16th Nov 2018, 16:45
Ah, children in need. The annual shindig when publicity hungry rich "celebs" start telling the less well-off to part with their cash.

The Nip
16th Nov 2018, 17:24
Whilst it might not be about CIN, but other children's charities seem to be flush with money.

David Miliband’s American charity pay deal is worth £680,000.

This headline was in the Times recently. My wife is the chairperson of a national girls charity. She has been involved in said charity for over 40 years. This is just something she does in her free time. No pay, no expenses. It costs us money. That is a charity. These big, national charities are businesses and should be re-categorised as such.

Tankertrashnav
16th Nov 2018, 17:56
Glad I'm not the only one - I have my own favourite charities which I give to (one involves children) so I refuse to be blackmailed into contributing to this one. By the way, whatever happened to Red Nose Day? Didn't that used to alternate with CIN, year on year off? Not that I ever donated to that one either!

G-CPTN
16th Nov 2018, 18:00
From Wiki:-
Red Nose Day, a biennial telethon held in March, alternating with its sister project Sport Relief.
A prominent biennial event in British popular culture, Comic Relief is one of the two high-profile telethon events held in the United Kingdom, the other being Children in Need, held annually in November.

BehindBlueEyes
16th Nov 2018, 18:08
There appears to be some sort of official bias toward Children in Need. When I was "flogging" poppies for the RBL some years ago, it was explained to me how we were under strict orders not to start the collecting/selling until 2 weeks before Remembrance Day. Children in Need, on the other hand, seem to have a special dispensation to begin their activities more or less when they like. I remember they used to begin before we in the RBL were allowed to and that caused to have a down on C.I.N. I shall be avoiding anything on the telly to do with them this evening (and probably tomorrow too).

i have all the time in the world for the RBL (unlike CIN) Their fundraising is dignified - every poppy seller is respectful and never shoves their tin under your nose - and correct me if Iím wrong, but Iíve never seen any celebs doing their ra-ra bit for for Poppy Day. We have a lovely senior gentleman that collects door to door in my area who is immaculate in his suit, wearing his medals with pride, whom Iím more than happy to donate to.

When the list of BBC salaries was published, it further hardened my heart to CIN too.

Dan Gerous
16th Nov 2018, 19:30
Bummer, I went and bought a wee red flower with my annual charity contribution last week, when I could have had a whole evening of top quality comedy instead.

flash8
16th Nov 2018, 19:38
It's a very good reason to go out to the pub this evening. Not that I wouldn't go there anyway...
Ahaaa. but expect them to tour the pubs with their buckets! Nowt so generous as inebriated folk!

oldairphot
16th Nov 2018, 22:24
Am I a real mizzog? Fed up to the back teeth already and the eveningís TV Ďentertainmentí hasnít even started. Already had it all over the morning news, been accosted at the supermarket by giant yellow people waving a bucket under my nose and witnessed grown adults wearing false spotted ears.

Have now turned off all external electronic devices (except iPad) and selected a good paperback to settle down with tonight.
Could not agree more, the fact that the Been Rams it down our throats a week before remembrance tide is finished does it for me

treadigraph
17th Nov 2018, 00:53
Ahaaa. but expect them to tour the pubs with their buckets! Nowt so generous as inebriated folk!
Nope. Two pubs and nary a bucket collector...!

neila83
17th Nov 2018, 03:44
People helping those less fortunate than themselves, nothing like that to get PPRUNE frothing!

Out of interest, how many of those boasting about how they don't care consider themselves followers of Christ?

And noone is blackmailing you. If you don't want to contribute you can not contribute very quietly. It's a bit snowflakey to go round whinging about it. Actually this thread would do well in snowflakes of the year.

pulse1
17th Nov 2018, 09:40
If you don't want to contribute you can not contribute very quietly.
That's all very well if the means of collection allow one to not contribute quietly. This afternoon, my local tennis club, which only operates three times a week, has devoted the whole session to Children in Need. For the last couple of weeks members have been bombarded with e mails urging us to support it by wearing something appropriate, whatever that might be. So, I am expecting considerable peer pressure to support, not only by giving, but by showing my support by some mysterious clothing. So, I have to choose between not going at all and missing out on my tennis, or going along and being considered to be mean, regardless of how much I may give to charity the whole year round. I hate all kinds of group pressure to conform.

Tankertrashnav
17th Nov 2018, 10:19
Out of interest, how many of those boasting about how they don't care consider themselves followers of Christ?

Well go on then. Tell us how many you think are followers of Christ? The subtext of your post is that Christians who dont support CIN are hypocrites, I assume. Any substance to that allegation (if allegation it is)? Anyway, I don't contribute to this charity and I'm an atheist, but I fail to see how adherence to any religion or none has any relevance to what you think about this annual pain in the neck. I dont know, of course, but I suspect many of us who are "frothing" are quite happy to help those who are less fortunate than themselves, but as there are literally thousands of charities in this country alone, refusal to be railroaded into supporting this one does not mean we dont care about others, we just wish to make our own choice who we will help out of our limited resources (and in this context even Bill Gates's resources are limited).

VP959
17th Nov 2018, 10:30
The reason that Comic Relief and Children in Need have a high media profile seems pretty simple. They were both created by the media themselves!

The same doesn't apply to any other, equally worthy, charities that I can think of, so none of the others get the same degree of free media coverage. My personal view is that this biases charity giving to the detriment of other worthy causes, and there should be a level playing field, where all charities get equal free coverage from the media, irrespective of who actually founded them.

Mr Optimistic
17th Nov 2018, 10:36
Well unlike Christmas this can be ignored. Problem is, having turned it into an institution, the BBC can not walk away from it. Stuck with it I am afraid as no- one will want to deal with the outrage cancellation would cause.

Chuck Glider
17th Nov 2018, 11:24
Am I a real mizzog?
Not at all. Mind you BBC 1 has such rubbish on these days it was no great loss to see last night's listings.

Highly suspicious of charities when their senior staff are so well paid and such a small portion of their income goes to the actual cause. Doesn't help to know that institutions like Eton school have charitable status.

racedo
17th Nov 2018, 12:21

I don't consider myself a follower of Christ, I am a follower of Christ............. very clear difference.

In relation to CIN and Red nose day, I contribute zilch and do not watch their evenings either. I am more than happy to contribute to charities I wish to contribute to but like I indicated to a Chugger this week................. when your charity is contributing 98% of what is collected for charity rather than admin expenses then I will consider donating.

Pontius Navigator
17th Nov 2018, 15:44
If you pay tax at over 20%, the last thing you should do is throw cash at a charity. Gift Aid it. As well as they getting a 25% uplift (which they can get without gift aid,) you get a further tax relief around 18%.

You can either keep it or increase your initial gift aid amount.

radeng
17th Nov 2018, 16:03
The CIN Rickshaw Challenge is leading to the closure of Royal Wootton Bassett High Street from around 1500 to 1900 on Monday. (Nov 19) You can bet your bottom dollar that there will be no compensation to the businesses who will lose custom as a result. At least the Remembrance Day closure is always on a Sunday, thus minimising the business losses.

I'm very much against events that cause vast inconvenience to many people as well as costing the community at a time when councils have little or no cash to spare. That includes marathons and the like through towns.

BehindBlueEyes
17th Nov 2018, 18:36
I’m probably pretty cynical because I worked for a while at a high street bank. It was expected, without exception, that the staff would be actively involved during their work day in CIN. The bank considered it excellent marketing and publicity to have us pictured in the local press and media doing our bit. There was no choice to opt out and I was never convinced that customers appreciated the rather frivolous antics when they came into the branch to conduct business.

GLIDER 90
24th Nov 2018, 19:38
What about the Elderly In Need for a change, I think theirs enough children's charities out their without sounding to be mean, but I think the BBC need to take their blinkers off and look to the elderly for once!!

funfly
24th Nov 2018, 20:26
The government has seen fit to send me £200 towards the cost of my winter fuel! redirected straight away to Sally Ann’s to help the homeless this Christmas.

Tankertrashnav
24th Nov 2018, 23:35
Bugger, too late. Can I put in a request for next year's two hundred quid then funfly? ;)

flash8
25th Nov 2018, 01:49
One thanksgiving in Victoria (BC, Canada) my girlfriend twisted my arm into driving around the poorer areas of the city (and there aren't that many...) and knocking on random folks doors and handing them food hampers... that she'd made up.. cost a bloody fortune.... I thought it was a crap idea and told her.. but what the heck I went along.

The looks folk gave us when we knocked on the doors varied between "are you crazy?" to... "are you crazy?"... my god I swore never, ever to follow her "great ideas" again. I was assuming it was some Canadian Christian "custom", might well be, never tried it again.

Did watch Children in need as a kid... think I even saw Jimmy Saville once make an appearance!

Pontius Navigator
25th Nov 2018, 17:18
The whole thing is mad, TV adverts from educating a child in Africa to adopting a donkey.

I suppose the results prove cost effective.

Then there are the charity clothing bags dropped off every week. Must admit I get odd looks in Waitrose loading my groceries into one.

eal401
26th Nov 2018, 08:48
those boasting about how they don't care

Point out where anyone "boasted that they don't care?" Because what I saw was commentary on how senior execs get very rich working for charities and how celebs use them for their own personal promotion.

Perhaps engage a few more brain cells before typing next time.

radeng
26th Nov 2018, 10:09
Then there are the charity clothing bags dropped off every week.

But certainly around here, NEVER collected!