PDA

View Full Version : Farewell thoughts to Brian

Monarch Man
16th Nov 2018, 03:34
As I sit on my DXB Layover for one of the last times I’m pausing to reflect on the overall state of the circumstances that a current EK pilot faces going forward.

It has been stated by various sources that you have voiced concerns regarding people posting on Pprune and how unhelpful it has been to your recruitment efforts. If this is truly the case that you wish to restrict individuals’ freedoms to discuss and disseminate their personal circumstances within EK you appear to be virtually indistinguishable from your predecessors.

The latest forum output is regrettably a continuation of the same narrow minded nonsense that will continue to cripple EK in terms of recruitment and more importantly retention, this despite the admission that resignations “aren’t where we’d like them to be.”

I wonder, is there a disconnect between the reality EK has to face and a decent dose of good old common sense? Our leader spoke of headwinds regarding fuel prices and you yourself seem think that a fuel table will improve the issue, yet at no stage has there been anything mentioned regarding asking the very people who burn all of the fuel for their thoughts or ideas? funnily enough many of us have faced high fuel prices on more than one occasion.

Another continued bone of contention is rostering, you steadfastly refuse to accept that this is inextricably linked to your recruitment and retention problems, simply stating that things will get better is deliberately misleading if the improvements are a mere reduction in workload given the companies history of keeping its word. Moreover there is absolutely no confidence or trust that you and those above you have any real interest or incentive to improve the package.

Over the years there have been numerous innovative and cost effective rostering, basing and operational proposals presented that have been dismissed out of hand, usually with a bogus reason e.g. reverse rostering won’t work as managing sickness is problematic, of course it’s only problematic if you have a disengaged and disenchanted workforce who are treated like children and with distain in a punitive environment. Clearly Its beyond the intellectual capacity and more likely the management philosophy that happy people do a better job and are far more willing to help out and be flexible.

All of this merely highlights to me why there is a staggering level of disengagement that exists on the line, to pretend that fiddling around the edges will resolve the deeper systemic and cultural issues within the organisation is not only fool hardly it also insults the intelligence of the individuals that you and ultimately the CEO entrust with the lions share of brand value and liability.

If EK and by inference, your good-self were truly, honestly and earnestly interested in improving the company’s bottom line the first item on the agenda would be to get the workforce engaged again, this isn’t a revolutionary idea as you know nor is the concept that employees have a better understanding of the issues day to day, minute to minute.

Sadly it appears Brian that just like your predecessors you have decided to keep the boat from rocking and to make sure those bonus payments are as large as possible.

what_goes_up
16th Nov 2018, 04:27
Monarch
Much appreciate your thought and your efforts to bring them "to paper". However, I believe it would be more efficient if you went to Brian's office and tell him face-to-face.
But maybe you still have the chance to do so in your farewell visit in the office.
All the best to you in your future occupation and always keep the blue side up (unless it is intended otherwise... ;) )

Monarch Man
16th Nov 2018, 05:58
Monarch
Much appreciate your thought and your efforts to bring them "to paper". However, I believe it would be more efficient if you went to Brian's office and tell him face-to-face.
But maybe you still have the chance to do so in your farewell visit in the office.
All the best to you in your future occupation and always keep the blue side up (unless it is intended otherwise... ;) )

My time of banging my head against a brick wall is over, besides I’m certain my thoughts are similar to others who have already expressed theirs in person. You never know, maybe Brian has a vpn as well?

donpizmeov
16th Nov 2018, 06:42
More importantly MM, publish a time place for your pre-escape beers .

Pif Paf
17th Nov 2018, 18:40
I must have a thick head, but I'll keep bashing my head, writing emails etc!
When I joined there were a few of the senior guys who stood up at the forums / wash ups / meetings and said what they thought, making the managers squirm.
They've gone, I've been here a few years so now its my turn.
If you don't tell them how it is they can always say they don't know!
Apathy is the greatest enemy !!!

MM best of luck in pastures new. Now to enjoy the post EK years!

puff m'call
18th Nov 2018, 11:06
Good speech MM I for one totally agree with your sentiments.