PDA

View Full Version : Vulcan sorties over Norway between 1965-66

TormodC
15th Nov 2018, 16:15
Anyone here with detailed information regarding Vulcan sorties over Norway around 1965-67?

I'm Searching for a incident where a Vulcan according to a eyewitness had a low-level flight over the Brevik-Porsgrunn-Skien area (South-Eastern part of Norway and about 110 km south of Oslo)

regards,
Tormod

DaveReidUK
15th Nov 2018, 17:34
Do you mean an incident that occurred while low-flying (and if so, what sort), or do you mean that the low-flying was the incident ?

TormodC
16th Nov 2018, 00:17
Sorry, I was a bit unclear in my original post, I meant the low flying as the main incident. The Plane did not crash, but the somewhat special flight pattern could not have been authorized by the Norwegian Avation Authorities.

Pontius Navigator
1st Dec 2018, 15:11
I am not aware of any such flight from the Cottesmore Wing. We made one high level flight as far as Oerland before landing at Gardermoen. We were not allowed to declare that we had made a simulated attack on Oerland.
​​​​​

Yellow Sun
1st Dec 2018, 17:31
A little later than the time frame you specified, but in about 1971 (can’t remember exactly) my crew was briefed for a Taceval sortie with Andoya as the target. What was unusual, was that we were to drop an inert 28lb practice bomb specially provided for the purpose. The aiming point was a pile of old cars on the eastern side of the airfield, just short of the shoreline. Unfortunately the weather was below the required minima and we never got to do it. Unusual to say the least and the only time I ever heard of anything like this being attempted.

YS

Barksdale Boy
2nd Dec 2018, 06:08
YS

Des Hall asked for it specially - to add interest! '71 sounds about right.