PDA

View Full Version : EDI closure

Deeko01
30th Jul 2002, 18:54
Hi,

Believe there may have been 1 or 2 lightning strikes affecting the runway approach lights and airport is closed, some are in the hold at tweed and some have alreadydiverted to glasgow and prestwick, any more info anyone?

Believe ABZ weather is also not good at all also, possible divertions there too I know there were some earlier in the day.

Cheers

machone
30th Jul 2002, 19:01
surely your workmate could tell you what is going on!!!!!
regards;) ;) ;)

FlyboyUK
30th Jul 2002, 19:06
Just come back from a lovely EDI trip...having spent two hours delayed sitting on the apron.

EDI was initially closed to all departures because Scottish control closed the airspace for departures due to all the storms around the area causing a backlog in the system.

There was also a small fire in one of the substations near the 06 threshold. ATC stated that this was the reason for closing the airfield completely due to the fact that LVP's were in force and with the vehicles attending the substation being in the protected area, no take-offs or landings were permitted.

Eventually we were able to depart, but we did hear on departure that 25% of the 06 approach lights were out. I guess this was probably due to the fire as there was no lightning close to the airfield whilst i was there. Although plenty was showing up on the detector within 25 miles of the field!

Occording to our ops the airfield was closed again, not long after we departed and was still closed at 1800Z

Deeko01
30th Jul 2002, 19:39
Just heard the earliest edi will be open 2100z not a good night up here, roads are flooded, railway is out, a lot of stranded pax around central scotland tonight.

Machone........don I know you???? :)

ajamieson
30th Jul 2002, 19:43
BAA told me the outage of the runway lights was because of a fault which wasn't fixed during a quick attempt in mid-afternoon. The engineers needed longer to make another attempt, hence the closure; most flights diverted to EGPF. No mention of a fire or lightning (despite the atrocious wx). :confused:

FLYto410
30th Jul 2002, 21:25
Just got back from Leeds. Heard an a/c on the radio who was told he was no17 into Edi!!! The storms were plentiful out there. Leeds primary and secondary radar were U/S, aswell as the DME!!!! I would have thought this was due to lightning as the DME/primary radar were servicable second time round. Maybe EDI was the same???

batty_boy
30th Jul 2002, 21:42
Just got back from edi. didnt have a problem but then again i was in my car on the m8 after a splendid day out, but thats another story.
some serious rain tho, never seen anythin like it out of the tropics.

NudgingSteel
30th Jul 2002, 21:45
Witnessed the earlier "scenario" at EDI when an intense thunderstorm sat on the 5 mile final to 06 and nobody wanted to fly through it....opposite direction operations for quite a while, with all arrivals on rwy24 and all deps off rwy06 (all of which were then weather avoiding). Nice work by those involved!
Subsequent airport closure was (I believe) as stated above....essential maintainance work preventing the ILS being safeguarded in cr*p weather. Welcome to summer.

EGPFlyer
30th Jul 2002, 23:20
machone,

would that be me? ;) ;) ;)

P.S.

deeko01, we are very damp!

Blue Boy
30th Jul 2002, 23:57
Sorry that I've not posted for a while. Sorry to those who I have offended......raspberry.

However, thank god for Scotland International, otherwise known as EGPF, or GLA. Bad day weather wise. Did you get wet Joe? Did you seee through the mist? Any photo's or Reg. No's to share?

Doesn't really matter IF you've got dual taxiaways, or a castle. The west still has the best.:p

Loadsa luv from the sandpit, TTFN

Bally Heck
31st Jul 2002, 00:54
Had to abandon the golf at the eighth at Silverknowes due weather. Anything else happening?

Blue Boy
31st Jul 2002, 01:00
Yes, Bally Heck it did.

Bought another pair of Timberlands from Sun & Sand. Didn't last long in Scarlets, thanks to Jennifer Paige......

Still, better than the rain. Welcome to the Sun, AOG 007. No **** from you, 3 of the tee, or whatever G W wants to call himself these days.

BB

Bally Heck
31st Jul 2002, 01:10
And confused he was:confused:

On the bright side, I was three holes up on a chap from the desert.

(When it started raining in Edinburgh, in case anyone thinks I've gone off topic)

touchedrunway?
31st Jul 2002, 14:25
Apparentley EDI was closed yesterday due to a lightening strike taking out the approach lights and runway lights. It was also in LVP's pretty much all day so no lights no approaches!!

ABZ was fluctuating between 300m and 450m RVR all day, so after an hour in the hold, it was off to GLA along with thirty-some others!! (spbrd's, British's, ezy's, eastflites decided to plumpt for Dundee).

Once at GLA. tho it was 1hr 30 waiting for transport for the pax! Equiped...I think not!

NOT A GOOD DAY!!:(

Luke341
31st Jul 2002, 17:35
I was there on monday (29th) and lots of planes were delayed (not including mine;) ) thank god.
It was very very foggy and wet. there were also bad thunderstorms at Luton, Stansted, Bristol and East Midlands which further delayed aircraft. BA and BMI were badly affected, but GO wasn't really.

Capt Homesick
31st Jul 2002, 17:39
A usually reliable source told me that the second closure was due to a fire in, errr..... the fire station. :rolleyes:
This caused enough havoc to the AFS' ability to respond that the airport was without fire cover- and should provide material for windups for some months to come! :p

ATCbabe
31st Jul 2002, 21:32
Sorry to dissapoint you all but the fire station on fire rumour is just that........ a rumour!!!!!!:eek: :eek:

canberra
3rd Aug 2002, 12:25
leuchars fire section kitchen was burnt out a few years back. would you believe a chip pan fire. of course no one gave the firemen any $hit over it!!