PDA

View Full Version : Farewell Danny42C

Geriaviator
13th Nov 2018, 10:09
FAREWELL, DANNY

It is with great sadness we announce that our much loved senior crewman Danny42C passed away peacefully early this morning at his home in Middlesborough, where he has been cared for by his devoted daughter Mary.

Danny began posting in 2012 with his enthralling and witty stories of training in Florida, operating the Vengeance dive bomber in Burma, and postwar life after rejoining the RAF.

Sorry I’m in Lanzarote at the moment with limited records but I shall pay full tribute to Danny when I return next week.

MPN11
13th Nov 2018, 10:27
DANNY42C

Dennis O’Leary, 10 Nov 21 - 13 Nov 18.

Flt Lt Dennis O’Leary was a wartime graduate of the Arnold Scheme, training RAF pilots in the USA, and after the War rejoined the RAF as a pilot and, subsequently, as an Air Traffic Controller.

He joined the RAF VR in December 1940, and progressed through the system to participate in the Arnold Scheme for Pilot Training in the USA in 1942. Graduating as a Sergeant Pilot, he was one of a very few who operated Vultee Vengeance dive-bombers against Japanese forces in Burma with No. 110 Sqn. RAF and, briefly, No. 8 Sqn. Indian Air Force (IAF). Eventually commissioned in 1943, he continued flying the Vengeance until VJ-Day and beyond on ’Special Tasks’, having been promoted to a/sqn ldr in May 1945

Post-War, after briefly returning to his pre-War employment in the Civil Service, he rejoined the RAF in 1949 and underwent Refresher Flying and conversion to jet aircraft. With No. 20 Sqn, he flew a variety of aircraft in various roles, adding Spitfire, Meteor, Vampire and several other types to his log-book. For a time he was Adjutant of a RAuxAF Fighter Control Unit at RAF Thornaby, before finally handing in his goggles on medical grounds and transferring to Air Traffic Control. He attended No. 42 Joint ATC Course in 1955, later serving at RAF Stations at Strubby, Thorney Island, Geilenkirchen, Linton-on-Ouse and Leeming, and including a tour as an Instructor at the Central Air Traffic Control School at Shawbury from 1964-1967. On leaving the RAF in 1972, he worked for HMRC as a VAT Inspector.

In his later years he was a major contributor to a Forum Thread on PPRuNe, starting at Post 2262 on 27 Jan 2012, and over time took an enthralled audience through his Service life. His wonderfully detailed vivid recollections, and always informative narrations, became legendary, and he remained charming, witty and lucid to the last.

https://www.pprune.org/6983102-post2262.html

Dennis O’Leary died peacefully at home, cared for by his daughter Mary, just 3 days after his 97th birthday.

MPN11
13th Nov 2018, 10:38
I had been fearing the worst for several days, in view of his prolonged [and unusual] silence on the Forum. His last post here was on 4 November 2018, as ever combining humour, politeness and positivity.
https://www.pprune.org/10301697-post12476.html Invidious to name names, so thank you all for the concern, good wishes and sympathy heaped on me and my Mary (she is, literally, my "Life Support Machine").

Must be costing the NHS an arm and a leg to keep me alive. That being so, I say again "Dum spiro, scribo", and intend to be with you a while yet.

Life in old dog yet ! ........Danny.
The lack of his acknowledgement of his 97th birthday wishes on the "Pilots Brevet" thread 3 days ago was so uncharacteristic that alarm bells were ringing loudly.

Dear Danny, you will be sorely missed. You would undoubtedly be embarrassed to be described as one of the greats, and yet in your quiet way you achieved that. Rest easy in your new basha 'up there', old chum.

My deepest sympathy and respect to his Devoted Daughter, Mary, and condolences to all Danny's family. You, like us, have lost a great character. And despite the sadness, at least God gave him 97 earthly years to be with us, which we can all treasure.

roving
13th Nov 2018, 10:47
Danny. thank you for sharing your rich and varied life with us. You will be greatly missed but never forgotten here.

John Eacott
13th Nov 2018, 10:54
My last contact with him only four days ago: I was so hoping to talk to him.

Blue skies, Dennis

:sad:

But I'm going through a bad patch now, so thank you for your concern for my wellbeing. But I cannot take any more on for the time being.

When (if ?) things get better, I'l contact you again.

Cheers ! Dennis (aka Danny42)

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
13th Nov 2018, 10:54
Vale............

junior.VH-LFA
13th Nov 2018, 10:56
I loved reading his insights into another time; a fantastic reminder of the history our organisations have and the quality of people who have made them what they are.

Blue skies sir.

Ddraig Goch
13th Nov 2018, 11:06
Can I offer my deepest condolences to Danny's family, friends and those on this thread of threads. I've followed this thread form the beginning and through it I have met many wonderful men, women and followed their stories. Danny has been one of the two cornerstones of the thread. His insight into a life many of us never experienced, thankfully, has informed and encouraged us to learn more.
The crew room will not seem the same without you Danny.

Ian Burgess-Barber
13th Nov 2018, 11:17
Sad. Sad. Inevitable - yet so sad.

Thank you Danny for your wonderful memories.
Thank you for writing so eloquently, with Hibernian literary flourish and a welcome peppering of wit.
Thank you for your service.

Daughter Mary, thank you for your care of the 'auld' warrior, we (and he) appreciated your devotion. My veteran mother passed away in April - it is still raw - so please accept sincere condolences from me.

We will remember them.

Ian BB

Treble one
13th Nov 2018, 11:29
Very Sad to hear-a fabulous man, His thread is an all time classic.

Deepest condolences to all his family and friends.

glad rag
13th Nov 2018, 11:30
How can you fully sumate a life such as that ....I certainly cannot.

Thank you Danny Rest in Peace.

NickB
13th Nov 2018, 11:53
Very sad to hear this - RIP Danny42C

Roadster280
13th Nov 2018, 11:58
A gentleman. RIP.

BEagle
13th Nov 2018, 12:17
Very sad indeed. RIP Danny42C. Your well-written posts provided immense enjoyment to many and an insight into bygone times recalled with astonishing clarity.

You will be very sadly missed.

Icare9
13th Nov 2018, 12:26
Farewell to an indomitable spirit.
Another of that remarkable generation takes to the skies.
Concern had been growing, but confirmation is the worst news for a while.
You will be missed by all and the crew room is rather subdued today.

ian16th
13th Nov 2018, 12:36
RIP Danny.

Fareastdriver
13th Nov 2018, 12:54
You know it has to come to pass but when it does it hurts even more.

Save a place for me.

RIP Danny

ORAC
13th Nov 2018, 13:00
Now cracks a noble heart.
Good night, sweet prince,
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest!

Archimedes
13th Nov 2018, 13:08
Although what my late uncle called ‘departure for Angels unspecified’ is inevitable for us all, it doesn’t make the news any less sad.

And while Danny may have been, in his own words, costing the NHS an arm and a leg, in the great balance sheet, he was still massively in credit.

Ad Astra, Danny. Rest well.

ivor toolbox
13th Nov 2018, 13:24
This was his recent post in the Caption Competition thread.

https://www.pprune.org/10299967-post51363.html

Only ever knew him from his posts :(
another of the greatest generation gone.

Ttfn
​​

Vzlet
13th Nov 2018, 13:28
Danny was quite uncommonly generous in sharing his life experiences, wisdom, and wit with us. A rare soul indeed, and I'm grateful that he chose to spend time in this forum. I hope that as a group, we provided him with even a small fraction of the enjoyment and camaraderie he brought to us.
Farewell, Danny.

Null Orifice
13th Nov 2018, 13:53
Farewell Danny. Thanks for your entertaining and informative posts.
Blue skies, Sir.

Shack37
13th Nov 2018, 14:03
Farewell Danny42, thank you, have a much deserved Rest in Peace..
One can only imagine the reunión up there.
Per Ardua

pzu
13th Nov 2018, 14:20
Farewell Danny - RIP, condolences to Mary and family

PZU - Out of Africa (Retired)

My late father, Ken Crossley (1921 - 2001) was on 608 Squadron as ATCO then SATCO 1950 - 1953, checked with Danny but asadly he couldn’t recall him

Pontius Navigator
13th Nov 2018, 14:28
Danny, this place will be poorer without your presence. Thank you for all you have done. Now you join your wife, please rest in peace.

ExAscoteer
13th Nov 2018, 14:31
Farewell Danny. RIP.

Kiltrash
13th Nov 2018, 14:48
Farewell Danny. Never knew you but feel I have lost a true friend and gent
k

langleybaston
13th Nov 2018, 15:09
A good reputation endureth for ever.

RIP

Brian 48nav
13th Nov 2018, 15:14
Danny

Several of my friends and both of my sons who are in the 'business', one as a former RAF pilot and now with Airbus the other as a NATS ATCO, have questioned why I have visited PPRuNe most days. I tell them it is because of people like you, from whom I have learnt so much - both the wisdom you always displayed and the tales of your interesting life and career.

Thank you so much Danny for the pleasure you have given so many of us, who read your posts.

RIP

B48N

Onceapilot
13th Nov 2018, 15:25
Very sad news. I have read Danny's posts and recollections with great pleasure. His contribution to the RAF and his country was considerable. Well done Sir!

OAP

PPRuNe Towers
13th Nov 2018, 15:26
One of the most treasured posters in the history of this site. I truly hope Mary can get to see the appreciation and respect we held for her father.

Rob

JAVELINBOY
13th Nov 2018, 15:33
Sad news indeed, thanks for the many interesting posts you made Sir, you will be missed by all who frequent this place and remembered forever.
Condolences to all of your family.

denachtenmai
13th Nov 2018, 15:45
RIP Danny, thankyou for everything that you did for us, we are truly grateful.

ValMORNA
13th Nov 2018, 15:45
In common with every other member I feel I have lost a friend as well as a sublime raconteur with Danny's passing.

RIP, Sir.

RFCC
13th Nov 2018, 16:58
RIP Danny. Farewell.

ACW342
13th Nov 2018, 17:03
Danny, I took your advice.

R.I.P.

A342

T28B
13th Nov 2018, 17:04
Thank you Danny, and farewell.
Where shall we find such men?

Chugalug2
13th Nov 2018, 17:48
Such sad news. My condolences to his family, to his much loved and loving daughter Mary who was his comfort to the end. To say that Danny will be missed is a massive understatement, he was an inspiration to all who read his posts; witty and authoritative yet always self effacing as befitted his generation. He took to this medium as a duck to water, though more than once at the start he complained that the PPRuNe dog ate his posts, forcing him to start over! He knew that if he didn't tell his story here it would be lost to us. Now we are the better informed about the OP; from initial jabs at Lords, via Pilot Training in the USA, to dive bombing in Burma, but we are still all the poorer for his passing. His memorial on PPRuNe will be the WWII Pilot Brevet thread started over 10 years ago by cliffnemo, the mantle being handed on in turn by others until passed to Danny. Now they are all gone, but their stories remain with us. We will remember them.
Fly safe dear Danny, we salute you.

cngaero
13th Nov 2018, 17:59
I'm so sad to hear the news of Danny's passing.
God speed on your final sortie and Thank You for sharing your wonderful stories with us.
RIP.

Art E. Fischler-Reisen
13th Nov 2018, 18:27
RIP Danny. I feel like I've lost an old friend, although we never met.

goofer3
13th Nov 2018, 18:35
A very sad day for us all. A very fine gentleman when posting or replying to PM's. Sincere condolences to Mary and family.

MPN11
13th Nov 2018, 18:49
A frantic trawl though old posts has led to a small Obit which I have taken the liberty of adding at Post #2 (E&OE).

Also going out to the ATC Old & Bold fraternity.

pulse1
13th Nov 2018, 19:06
How do you take something that is already brilliant and then make it better still. By stamping his modest and fun loving personality on the original Cliff Memo thread, he made it his own and made it even better.He made his creation of the virtual crew room a place to welcome new posters with his friendly banter. I will miss him.a lot.

MightyGem
13th Nov 2018, 19:16
Sad news. RIP Danny. Enjoy your new home:

They came in the evening, then, and found Jonathan gliding peaceful and alone through his beloved sky. The two gulls that appeared at his wings were pure as starlight, and the glow from them was gentle and friendly in the high night air. But most lovely of all was the skill with which they flew, their wingtips moving a precise and constant inch from his own.

Without a word, Jonathan put them to his test, a test that no gull had ever passed. He twisted his wings, slowed to a single mile per hour above stall. The two radiant birds slowed with him, smoothly, locked in position. They knew about slow flying.

He folded his wings, rolled and dropped in a dive to a hundred ninety miles per hour. They dropped with him, streaking down in flawless formation. At last he turned that speed straight up into a long vertical slow-roll. They rolled with him, smiling. He recovered to level flight and was quiet for a time before he spoke.
"Very well," he said, "who are you?"
"We're from your Flock, Jonathan. We are your brothers."
The words were strong and calm.
"We've come to take you higher, to take you home."
"Home I have none. Flock I have none. I am Outcast. And we fly now at the peak of the Great Mountain Wind. Beyond a few hundred feet, I can lift this old body no higher."
"But you can Jonathan. For you have learned. One school is finished, and the time has come for another to begin."

As it had shined across him all his life, so understanding lighted that moment for Jonathan Seagull. They were right. He could fly higher, and it was time to go home.
He gave one last look across the sky, across that magnificent silver land where he had learned so much.
"I'm ready " he said at last.
And Jonathan Livingston Seagull rose with the two starbright gulls to disappear into a perfect dark sky.

longer ron
13th Nov 2018, 19:17
We will miss him - he was a really really nice genuine guy.
I enjoyed his book immensely,written in his easy going style with a great sense of humour.

Geordie_Expat
13th Nov 2018, 19:39
Such sad news. He will indeed be sadly missed.

Tashengurt
13th Nov 2018, 19:46
Farewell Danny. Thankyou for sharing your experiences with us.

Bill Macgillivray
13th Nov 2018, 19:58
Danny, RIP Sir. Sorely missed!

Bill

Jobza Guddun
13th Nov 2018, 20:12
RIP Danny. Wise and witty, you made an impact here that most of us can only aspire to.

wiggy
13th Nov 2018, 20:15
RIP Danny, you’ll be missed.

treadigraph
13th Nov 2018, 20:15
Bugger! On a train back from a few beers in Lowestoft. I'd have raised a glass and I will later in a week when I've read this thread properly. Farewell and blue skies Danny!

ricardian
13th Nov 2018, 20:20
God bless you sir, thank you for sharing your memories and your experiences

Dougie M
13th Nov 2018, 20:49
Sorely missed Danny. I loved your stories. RIP

Hydromet
13th Nov 2018, 20:54
Thank you Danny for you service, and for sharing them in the most entertaining way.

BVRAAM
13th Nov 2018, 20:58
R.I.P, Sir. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your stories.

I hope the flying is good, wherever you may be now. Thank you for your Service.

tartare
13th Nov 2018, 21:00
Rest in peace Danny.

Karearea
13th Nov 2018, 21:01
Much respect always, Sir - rest in peace.

OvertHawk
13th Nov 2018, 21:09
With the most sincerest of respect Sir...

Godspeed and Blue Skies.

Dsrsia
13th Nov 2018, 21:09
Thank you for sharing so many years in such illuminating detail. RIP Danny

Tay Cough
13th Nov 2018, 21:21
I’ve been following this thread for a number of years without posting. It turns out Tay Cough Senior, who died a year and a day ago, was an ATC student at Shawbury during Danny’s tenure (and also from Middlesbrough) so their paths may well have crossed. After he passed the course, he was posted to Scampton, met my mother and ultimately Big Airways got a Captain out of it...

RIP Danny.

tbwtg
13th Nov 2018, 21:23
Danny, like others, I only knew you through your stories and comments here, thank you for them.

Fly on ... from this dark world of strife, on to the promised land, to eternal life. RIP, Sir.

Topcliffe Kid
13th Nov 2018, 21:40
Genuinely saddened by the news of Danny's passing. RIP.

cynicalint
13th Nov 2018, 22:22
These were the words left by those brothers-in-arms you supported in Burma, the forgotten army. My dad was there with you though you never met and flew different aircraft, but they had a profound effect on him.

"When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

You more than kept your side of the bargain, keeping their stories alive as well. You were modest in your telling of your story, but it was a most powerful one. A mind once stretched by reading or hearing your tales will never return to its original size

RIP Sir

Buster11
13th Nov 2018, 22:27
Thank you, Danny, for sharing so much of your fascinating life with us, leavened with a spot of Hibernian wit, and reminding us what a very special generation you were a part of.

Blue skies, sir.

Stuff
13th Nov 2018, 22:27
I was only ever a thread lurker for Danny's posts, eagerly awaiting the latest instalment to his enthralling dits. Thank you for bringing your history to life for a new generation, you may be gone but you are not forgotten.

Clear skies Sir.

ICM
13th Nov 2018, 22:32
Something of a shock to come home to this news. Requiescat in pace.

In Paradisum deducant te angeli, In tuo adventu suscipiant te martyres ...

NutLoose
13th Nov 2018, 22:42
I saw this at lunchtime but was lost for words, one had a nagging feeling that the end was drawing close, and I feel even Danny did with his poignant epitaph he wrote in one of the threads.
Though I never met Danny personally, one felt he was like an old friend, my sincere condolences to Mary and the family who must be in a place few like to visit right now, but please be assured he is reunited with his loving wife and friends lost along the way, I raised a glass to him tonight and he will be sorely missed, rarely do you meet such unassuming and genuinely warm people who are happy to share their lifes experiences with you, Danny was one of those rare characters and the world is a poorer place for his passing.

Blue Skies Danny and thank you for all you have blessed us with, you will be remembered.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1966/44954957445_91f54ac34d_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2buvUDc)
Danny 42 (https://flic.kr/p/2buvUDc) by Tony Taylor (https://www.flickr.com/photos/142550108@N08/), on Flickr

peppermint_jam
13th Nov 2018, 22:48
Sad news, I've enjoyed reading his stories and anecdotes over the last few years. Rest a while Danny, hope the boys have got you a beer waiting.

parabellum
13th Nov 2018, 22:54
ORAC put it here first and I hope he won't mind me repeating it for Danny, God bless him.
"Now cracks a noble heart.
Good night, sweet prince,
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest!"

Art Smass
14th Nov 2018, 00:11
Rest in Peace Danny... thankyou for the fascinating insights and anecdotes from a time before I was born. You will be missed, and remembered fondly

NutLoose
14th Nov 2018, 02:34
Danny (still warm and breathing, but little else) If I suddenly disappear from PPRuNe, you know what has happened ("Goodbye, Goodbye, I wish you all a last "Goodbye").

https://youtu.be/xVxvYsBq7GI

India Four Two
14th Nov 2018, 03:14
I enjoyed Danny's posts and had a brief, entertaining email correspondence with him earlier this year.

I will miss him.

Buster Hyman
14th Nov 2018, 04:16
I think we're all a little wiser thanks to what he shared.

Cheers Danny :ok:

FantomZorbin
14th Nov 2018, 06:59
My very sincere condolences to all of Danny's family and especially a Mention In Dispatches to Danny's Mary who has enabled him to keep the crewroom enlivened with his wit and wisdom.
May Danny requiescat in pace, I will miss him very much.
FZ, (one of your old students)

Glevum
14th Nov 2018, 07:55
RIP Danny.

I enjoyed reading your posts. You will be missed.

DirtyProp
14th Nov 2018, 08:29
Thank you, Danny.
Thank you for sharing your memories with us. We'll miss you.

mmitch
14th Nov 2018, 09:21
Perhaps this forum gave him a few more years so he could share his memories and his humour with us.
Thank you Danny.
mmitch.

dww
14th Nov 2018, 10:26
Requiescet in pace

Tankertrashnav
14th Nov 2018, 11:06
I think it has all been said, so I will just add my thanks and say

RIP Danny

Lyneham Lad
14th Nov 2018, 12:13
I think it has all been said, so I will just add my thanks and say

RIP Danny

Indeed - so many posts and so many fine words are a reflection on what Danny gave to his country and to all of us who followed his posts. A highlight of my summer reading was his wonderful e-book.

Condolences to his daughter Mary and to wider family. RIP Sir - you will be sorely missed.

NutLoose
14th Nov 2018, 12:14
Crews of 8 Sqn, I wonder

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1024x687/8sqn_pilots_crew_1c9d6da3d4b1e8eca4e3b6b304f9bcf146727d93.jp g

Memories Of No.8 Squadron, IAF - Bharat Rakshak:Indian Air Force (http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/history/ww2/veterans/1192-t-j-thomas.html)

mini
14th Nov 2018, 13:09
RIP Danny.

Thank you for sharing your memories, this place will be poorer without you.

Condolences to Mary and his family & friends.

mini

PS Nutty, your pic in post #68 is a fabulous tribute to a truly great guy.

skua
14th Nov 2018, 14:21
I hope Danny knows how much he was loved here. I can think of few others whom one meets online whose human warmth glows from the screen. And what a memory he had!
Irreplaceable. RIP Danny.

Ormeside28
14th Nov 2018, 18:32
Thank you Danny for welcoming me on YOUR programme so many years ago. I wish you a safe voyage and a welcome reunion in the Crewroom which we all ( hopefully ) aspire to. My condolences to your dear daughter and comfort from her friends. From North Wales, adios!

TEEEJ
14th Nov 2018, 18:33
RIP Danny. Always a pleasure to read your posts. Blue skies!

Marcantilan
14th Nov 2018, 18:35
RIP Danny.

Icare9
14th Nov 2018, 19:16
Danny was a worthy successor to Cliff Nemo and the legendary Reg Levy, all cast from the same mould - which seems to have gone missing since 1945.....

Taphappy
14th Nov 2018, 19:50
So another great warrier has moved to that great crew room in the sky.
Danny will be greatly missed and we will no longer read these great pearls of wisdom and wit contained in his many posts.
A long life, well lived and deserving of his final reward.
Condolences to daughter Mary at this sad time.
requiescant in pace. Danny.

Roland Pulfrew
14th Nov 2018, 21:57
Goodbye Danny. I have enjoyed your witty, insightful and interesting contributions to the site over recent years. I wish I’d had the opportunity to meet you in person. Rest in peace or soar with the angels.

Franek Grabowski
14th Nov 2018, 23:43
Human body has a limited life cycle. Some things are inevitable, nonetheless I think every one is sad that Danny lived just only 97 years. That said we all should be happy, that he lived as much as 97. Now the body is gone, but the soul is eternal. We all shall see together, sooner or later, hopefully later, somewhere there. Until then, RIP Danny.

johnfairr
15th Nov 2018, 11:47
RIP Danny. Honoured to learn from you. Thank you.

eko4me
15th Nov 2018, 11:59
This time for you Danny

Ave Maria, gratia plena, Dominus tecum.
Benedicta tu in mulieribus,
et benedictus fructus ventris tui, Iesus.
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei,
ora pro nobis peccatoribus,
nunc et in hora mortis nostrae. Amen

God's speed ...

50+Ray
15th Nov 2018, 13:36
Late as usual! I concur with all the other Thread fans. Danny was an absolute treasure. RIP.
Ray

Fly26
15th Nov 2018, 17:02
Godspeed Danny, it was his humour that drew me to the capcom......blue skies and happy landings.

Wander00
15th Nov 2018, 18:20
I have been off grid for a few days, what with Armistice Day and in the throes of moving house, I am unbelievably sad at reading of Danny's death. I have enjoyed his posts, learned a lot and he genuinely is someone I wish I had met. Nevertheless, I count him as a friend. Farewell Danny, blue skies. DCO. RIP

Strumble Head
15th Nov 2018, 18:31
Along with so many I mourn the loss of Danny. Someone who maintained gentle wit and robust recollection until the very end. His posts often felt close to home, as my father was trained as a Fleet Air Arm pilot by the US Navy in the US during WW2 and I served in operations roles with the Royal Auxiliary Air Force. I was in quiet awe of the contributions that he had made to the Royal and Royal Auxiliary Air Forces. I hope that his family and close friends gain some comfort from the tributes on this site.

We do and will remember them.

SATCOS WHIPPING BOY
15th Nov 2018, 21:10
It really is the saddest of news to read today. Danny was a true gentleman, with wise words and wit in abundance.

When I say that you will be sorely missed is an understatement. My thoughts and love are with your family and friends.

Rest in Peace

flyinkiwi
15th Nov 2018, 22:08
Nothing beats hearing the story from someone who was there. Farewell Danny, RIP.

cattletruck
16th Nov 2018, 07:17
An incredibly knowledgeable chap willing to share it all on this great forum, and with a great sense of humour to boot. Danny, you will be missed but not forgotten. You touched us all.

Clear skies my friend.

5aday
16th Nov 2018, 08:15
In total awe Danny. Rest in Peace.

Cloudee
16th Nov 2018, 08:54
Thanks so much Danny for the pleasure you gave to so many of us with your wonderful posts. I’ll be thinking of you when I fly the Stearman next. RIP.

SATCOS WHIPPING BOY
16th Nov 2018, 10:07
During my many PM chats with Dennis I managed to find this image for him which I tidied up. One thing that sticks out was his reply when I sent it to him. Post war ATC was made up of now-redundant aircrew; there wasn't a tower in the land that couldn't muster a full bomber crew if the need arose. He was over the moon that I found it and I am glad I managed to give him something.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/800x623/for_danny42c_90d660f4c51c9607caeca632dc1af4627796390d.jpg

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/800x657/for_danny42b_a3f41e8ec29619af1570bedeae67228d6c32fb26.jpg

andytug
16th Nov 2018, 10:10
People might think it's kind of strange to be so upset to hear of the passing of someone who I never actually met in person, but I think that just shows the mark of the man, after reading his posts and even just having a couple of minutes direct conversation on the forum you felt like you really had met him.

RIP Danny, I shall raise a glass of Scotland's finest to you later tonight.

As he said himself..... 'Ordinary people who did extraordinary things'

PeregrineW
16th Nov 2018, 10:39
I'll miss your wit and humour, Danny. RIP.

polyglory
16th Nov 2018, 16:22
Rest In peace Danny, you will be sorely missed

Blue Skies.

MPN11
16th Nov 2018, 19:08
Thanks for the pics, SWB ... Dennis in the 'flesh' for the first time for most of us. I wish I'd thought of posting that Course photo. From 42C Arnold Scheme to 42 JATCC - what a coincidence!

He greatly valued his personal privacy here on PPRuNe, as some of us know. Modest to the last ... he was just 'one of us'.

Goe4
16th Nov 2018, 19:55
What a huge loss.
My condolences to Mary and family and friends.
We have lost a very distinguished member of the crew room who was highly respected by all.
I have spent hours reading through this thread. You could always wait for a reply from Danny no matter what subject. He always knew something to add. How he patiently replied to everyone, filling in with additional information.
Dear Mary, thank you for enabling it all to happen. I hope you can take some comfort in knowing that he was one of the very best and will be sorely missed.
May the love of those around you help you in the days to come.

Willi B
17th Nov 2018, 21:09
I also enjoyed an email correspondence with him earlier this year which covered not only his distinguished RAF flying/ATC career but his post service experiences as a 'VAT Man'. He had a unique sense of humour which he maintained to the end, notwithstanding his physical decline. Vale, Denis and fly free.

Lima Juliet
17th Nov 2018, 23:16
If he won’t allow me in, in years to come, then please give St Peter hell for me old chap. RIP, Danny42

Tengah Type
18th Nov 2018, 07:39
It was always a pleasure to be entertained and educated by Danny 42C.
My condolences go to Mary, family and friends.
RIP.

OffshoreSLF
18th Nov 2018, 14:54
Having been born with defective eyesight, flying, and many other careers, were never going to be open to me, but I have had a lifetime interest in all things aeronautical, and have read and re-read anything I could get my hands on. Danny’s writings are in my opinion, one of the best. I will miss his posts, and will miss reading all his musings.

Sincere condolences to Mary and all his family. RIP Danny42C

Cows getting bigger
18th Nov 2018, 15:17
What a life.

Thank you and adieu.

tow1709
18th Nov 2018, 19:37
RIP and thank you so much.

mopardave
18th Nov 2018, 21:54
Thankyou SATCOS WHIPPING BOY for enabling me to put a face to the name! Dennis was a true gentleman....and he was able to pin down where I live from my intentionally vague description! He hadn't "lost it"! When your country called, you were ready and willing. His last post said all I needed to know about the man! Thankyou and godspeed Dennis, you are a legend and we're so much the poorer for your passing. RIP.

jaganpvs
19th Nov 2018, 00:30
Farewell Danny . the passage of WW2 veterans will always be a bittersweet momemt. Sad, but we will always remember and commemorate you.

DODGYOLDFART
19th Nov 2018, 05:38
RIP Danny. Many thanks for the huge contribution that you have made to this site.

jaganpvs
19th Nov 2018, 12:29
Danny didnt want to be 'named' on the forum. but for those who would like to know about his London Gazette references..
RAF and Commonwealth Air Forces London Gazette Index Search (http://www.rafcommands.com/database/lgindex/index.php?qname=&qnum=156066&cur=0)

MPN11
19th Nov 2018, 13:21
Danny didnt want to be 'named' on the forum. but for those who would like to know about his London Gazette references..
RAF and Commonwealth Air Forces London Gazette Index Search (http://www.rafcommands.com/database/lgindex/index.php?qname=&qnum=156066&cur=0)
Thank you very much! Post #2 amended for accuracy :ok:

S'land
20th Nov 2018, 11:47
It is said that the good die young. A lot of spherical objects that bounce in my opinion. Danny was one the proofs of how untrue this was. His contribution to this forum will be sadly missed, he was usually informative, often humorous and above all interesting.

Icare9
21st Nov 2018, 11:06
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7gQjNbbh5E

Hektor057
22nd Nov 2018, 08:03
My sincere condolences to the family.

Geriaviator
23rd Nov 2018, 16:25
Hello again Dennis, my dear old friend,

Can it really be six years since you first cast your spell on us Ppruners? Already enthralled by the long-running Brevet thread for World War II aircrew, we logged in every day to read your latest instalment. In your time foreign travel was undreamed of for most people, let alone flying, yet your 18-year-old self, yearning to fly a Spitfire, joined the RAF and was sent off to learn to fly in Florida.

Through your writings, a rich mix of humour, knowledge, and vivid memories of times long gone, we followed your shaky steps into the air and your sense of wonder at this strange land where everything was plentiful. We shared your delight when you returned to England and your dream came true with training on Spitfires and posting to a new Spitfire Wing in India.

Four years later I would follow in your footsteps when as a child my mother took me to rejoin my father in RAF Poona. Long before Bombay came into view we too picked up the exotic smells, from spices to sewers as you described them. From the deck of HMT Strathnaver we too goggled at the Victorians' vast Gateway to India, wondered at the teeming humanity, picked our way through the seething platforms of Victoria Station to our reserved carriage. At Poona, the aviation bug infected me for life the instant my father lowered me into the cockpit of a Vengeance, perhaps one that you had flown.

That was when our electronic friendship began with your first greeting Namaste, chota-sahib! An address I had not heard for 70 years, and the once-familiar terms of the Raj that my father used until he died 22 years ago: memsahib, chai, jeldi-jeldi, dhobi, tiffin, charpoy. We shared memories of basha and bearer, of cobra and Kipling, of monkeys and monsoons. We even enjoyed a few phone calls despite your deafness, which had started with many hours behind a thundering Wright Cyclone.

Back on Pprune you kept us spellbound with your rail journey across India and our hearts sank with yours when you eventually reached Madhaiganj and spotted a line of big ugly things on the apron.
What on earth is THAT? — That's a Vultee Vengeance, Sarge, they're dive bombers! We knew nothing about dive bombers and clung to our last faint hope.

What about the Spitfires we're supposed to be getting? — You've had it, Sarge, there aren't any out here!

Oh, Noooo …. Oh, Yesss! Not for the first or last time in the RAF, we'd been sold a pup.

Soon a thousand PPruners per day were following your love-hate relationship with the Vengeance and your description of its two-mile vertical dive had us on the edge of our seats; in between came your witty and colourful mix of reflections on India and the life of its European exiles. Then a Japanese bullet severed an oil line and you were badly injured in the ensuing forced landing, thankfully to recover and to command a special Flight carrying out gas spray trials until the war ended.

In your 90th year, you wrote all your stories on an elderly laptop with touchpad, a laptop which became increasingly unreliable as the years went by — just like ourselves, we laughed. So we decided to produce your story as an e-book and all through last winter we exchanged drafts and yet more memories, leading to In with a Vengeance in April this year.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/950x544/danny_ghats_and_wedding_11729af1ab4ce3569c3b04534a8246bfa977 f502.jpg

This first book was so well received that my wife and I began work on your second volume, Danny and the Cold War, for which with great effort you transcribed the first 22,000 words. Once again we hung on every word as you rejoined the RAF, converted from Spitfires to jets, only to be grounded by your lung problem in 1954. Then you regaled us with life as an air traffic controller on airfields around England and even to Berlin during the Cold War. All the while you watched the RAF and its personnel change from a wartime to a peacetime and different Service.

But despite the loving care of your devoted daughter Mary, your responses became slower and I detected a faint note of resignation. We're pals for life, you told me, and said you would like the book produced even though you might never see it, and I promised I would see it to completion.

It was a poignant moment when we read of your loving care for your little daughter in her playpen, and we thought how your lives had turned full circle as little daughter Mary was now caring for her dear Dad. As your bad days increased, we worked flat-out to finish your book at the end of last month, and we are so glad we did as you were alert to the end and able to see the first proof copy. Thank you, thank you, thank you, you wrote, and it gladdened our hearts to know you were pleased.

But at 4am on November 12, Mary told me, you became restless, you asked for your laptop, and you called on your last reserves for a brief mail which brought tears to my eyes:
Well, Doc says my life span is a week or a fortnight: it had to come sooner or later, I suppose, but I had hoped for a bit more ... Now, I would wish you to offer the book on Pprune as we agreed ... My favourite charities would be the RAF Memorial Fund and Marie Curie ...
Heart too full now,must break off now.

A few hours later, you 'slipped the surly bonds of earth and soared the skies' for the last time, leaving a void that can never be filled. But now, far beyond the sparkling clouds with their towering castles and sunlit canyons, you have joined your beautiful Iris once again. May you have eternal happiness together.

Ever your pal,
Michael

artee
23rd Nov 2018, 17:08

It's wonderful that you were able to get the first proof to Danny in time.

Danny will be missed. RIP.

NutLoose
23rd Nov 2018, 22:00
Geriaviator, thank you ever so much for that thoughtful and moving obituary, you have done Danny proud and have kept his memory alive, I am ever so glad his story has been told and his memories live on, I feel that it was important both historically, but also for future generations so that they would be able to learn from it, i never realised you have done some Ebooks with Danny, where can one access them?

I too was saddened at his loss as was everyone else on here, one felt like one had lost a close friend.

TT

India Four Two
23rd Nov 2018, 23:22
Geriaviator,

That is the most moving post I have ever read on PPRuNe. Thanks for taking the time to write it.

Like Nut Loose, I would also like to obtain a copy of the books, with appropriate donation.

I probably met Dennis when he was at Shawbury and I was a newly minted UBAS Cadet.

Fantome
24th Nov 2018, 06:02
Geriaviator - "A last letter to our dear friend Danny" . . .. . . The perfect tribute. I dips me lid.

August last , Danny responded thus to some RAAF Vengeance material I sent him by snail mail, -

"It is a very detailed pic of a standard VV bomb-load: noted the two (500 lb) are fitted with "trunnion bands", the trunnions can be seen sticking out, ready to engage the bomb bay "forks", which threw them clear of the prop disc on release. The two 250 lbs went on the wing racks.

"Dive attacks on shipping at night ? Don't be silly !

"Will comment further when I have a chance to study them, things a bit hectic here, seems I have diastolic heart failure. Do not know what Cardiologist can do about it, save probably: "Give the old bugger some more pills and let him die in peace !" Might not be with you for long."

As a certain Chilean reporter put it, broadcasting from his over-flying aircraft as Chichester went through the Straits of Magelllan -

" Qué hombre! " (For Danny, ditto - doubly.)

FantomZorbin
24th Nov 2018, 06:55
Geriaviator. Thank you. FZ

Geriaviator
24th Nov 2018, 12:55
#NutLoose and India Four Two --
If you PM your email addys to me I can send you Danny's first e-book, In with a Vengeance. Nutloose, your address does not accept PMs, just in case you did not know this.
Please note I cannot send the book unless you supply an email address to send it to!
We're still checking and finishing the second book, Danny and the Cold War, and we shall announce it on the Brevet thread within the next few days. No requests before then, please, we don't work as fast as we once did.

Willi B
24th Nov 2018, 22:38
Geriaviator,
Well said.

Brian 48nav
25th Nov 2018, 08:52
Geriaviator

Michael, Thank you, a wonderful tribute to our dear departed friend.

Chugalug2
25th Nov 2018, 10:43
Geriaviator,

A truly moving post. That you and your wife should have striven so hard and so successfully to achieve Danny's wish before he died is a wonderful thing. We could not wish for more assiduous and attentive personal ambassadors representing us to our dear friend and Chief Pilot. Well done both of you, and I too would like to obtain the fruits of your labour if possible.

This thread is unique, the only sticky PPRuNe tribute thread to my knowledge. It is a measure of the esteem in which Danny is and will be forever held by all here on PPRuNe.

MPN11
25th Nov 2018, 12:31
I hope Dennis has a decent internet connection up there, above the clouds, so that he can read the amazing tributes being paid here.

I can add nothing to what has been said before, apart from adding my thanks to Geriaviator for his words above and for his efforts in consolidating Dennis’ writings.

roving
26th Nov 2018, 01:34
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1173x396/screenshot_2018_11_26_at_04_30_08_ad50b681ac18ac83300fc04bcd 003a919d3fdd88.png

RAF Commands website.

Danny made mention of this incident in his post here.

https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/578425-wg-cdr-arthur-gill-obe-dfc-3.html#post9371767

Fantome
26th Nov 2018, 06:50
This thread is unique, the only sticky PPRuNe tribute thread to my knowledge. It is a measure of the esteem in which Danny is and will be forever held by all here on PPRuNe.

Of that there can be no doubt at all. When we pause to reflect upon the attributes, the qualities , of men and women we have had the good fortune to have known, whether in a cursory way or well, we usually form a picture in our minds' eye of
that person's essence, for want of a better word. True empathy is not qualified but is instilled from birth (or before). Those who have been born of empathetic parents will themselves endow their own children. And so on and so on. Dennis O'Leary certainly showed his kindly, empathetic nature often, with modesty, humility and humour. He sought no fanfares. Were one to inscribe two words only upon a hypothetical head-stone, it would be hard to come up with anything more true or succinct than 'HE CARED'.

ricardian
26th Nov 2018, 14:49
Ever your pal,
Michael

Thank you so much for putting into words what we were all thinking.

FantomZorbin
27th Nov 2018, 08:21
Geriaviator Many thanks for the book … donation sent DCO
As it is that time of year, a glass of port and a comfortable chair call … now where are my glasses?!
FZ

TYTOENG232
27th Nov 2018, 09:55
Geriaviator that was a most poinant and moving tribute to Danny, thank you.
It was Danny's musings and most informative recollections that brought me to this thread. He generously accepted me on board when I joined this wonderful forum.
It took me 2 months to read all his experiences and all the associated replies, comments.
As someone said " where do we get these men?"

Blue skies and RIP Dennis.

Out Of Trim
27th Nov 2018, 20:51
Danny,

So sorry that you have finally departed to the heavens on your final sortie!
I loved reading of your exploits with such precise prose and punctuation.

I will miss your contributions!

RIP Sir.

Geriaviator
28th Nov 2018, 11:02
Dennis's daughter Mary says she has been very touched by this PPrune memorial and thanks everyone for the many tributes contained herein.

On this, the day of his funeral in Nunthorpe, Middlesbrough, we are pleased to announce his new e-book Danny and the Cold War, which we hope will form a lasting tribute to his Service and his long and happy life. My thanks again to the Mods, and hope they won’t mind this double post: to obtain a copy, please refer to the long-running ‘RAF Brevet’ thread on which he gave us such pleasure over the past six years.
https://www.pprune.org/10322511-post12532.html

Chugalug2
28th Nov 2018, 11:15
Thank you for the update Geriaviator. Along with many other PPRuNers around the world I'm sure I now stand in silent homage to our departed and much loved Chief Pilot, Dennis O'Leary, aka Danny 42C. A cyber crew-room at attention.

Rest in Peace, dear friend.

Chug

NutLoose
28th Nov 2018, 11:21
Geriaviator,

Also from me, many thanks for the book as well, I'm on chapter 4 and loving it, an excellent read … donation has also been sent to the RAFBF

mikehallam
28th Nov 2018, 14:26
Goodbye Danny,
So nice to have known of your times on the forum.
Rest in Peace

MPN11
28th Nov 2018, 14:42
A glass of wine is raised yet again to dear Dennis ... and Mary.

Today may be the funeral of the earthly Dennis O'Leary, but Danny42C will live on for many years to come. Farewell again, old chum.

radar101
29th Nov 2018, 18:08
Yes, DCO Danny - RIP

strake
30th Nov 2018, 20:10
Were I ever to be a tenth of the man he was, I would be proud. RIP.

Fantome
2nd Dec 2018, 02:49
Don't think Danny had an excess of pride. He was always a modest man, it seems. "Pride comes before a fall". If I had a tenth of his humour and humanity, I would be pleased. At any age, in any age, we can look to role models. Not obsessively - just in passing. And extract a mickle here, and a muckle there. He had a profoundly contemplative streak. Truly mindful people usually do.

harrym
5th Dec 2018, 17:08
Yet another of our generation gone, and one of the best. Sadly our service paths never crossed, but then the RAF was (just a bit) larger in those days!

harrym

Ian Burgess-Barber
5th Dec 2018, 21:08
harrym - you got here in the end for Danny......
So good to hear that you are still listening out on this frequency. It is a nagging worry whenever our vets. go quiet for a period of time. Please keep checking in - strength five, harry.

Ian BB

Pilot DAR
6th Dec 2018, 14:26
97 years old, that's so great! I appreciated Danny's posts, it is nice that the people with so much piloting history, and so far back in Danny's case, contribute to the present piloting wisdom. You'll be missed Danny!

ex_matelot
7th Dec 2018, 06:57
Bit dusty in here...

Followed the Brevet thread from the start but I'm not up-to-date on it. The bit I'm up to, Danny is still posting. Going to seem horrible reading his words knowing now what is.

What a guy.

Niceredtrousers
7th Dec 2018, 14:24
Never posted, but lurked for many years, hanging onto the words of Cliff, Reg, Danny et al.

Farewell Danny, you were an absolute star.

And thanks, Geriaviator, for your fantastic work.

NRT

Bucc Man
8th Dec 2018, 15:50
Well said NRT, same here.

Bucc

Fantome
10th Dec 2018, 01:47
It was his time. He knew that clearly and went out like a candle. A good friend once quoted his old dad who said, late in life, "Here today. Here tomorrow. Bejessus it drags on."

My dad used to glance at the obits in the newspaper. One morning he said - "Will you look at this ? - They're still dying in alphabetical order."

We need to remember something about the nature of grieving. For a start, it is does not bear too much analysis. And because it is so personal no one should presume to know what another is going through, regardless of whether the griever and the deceased are family or next of kin, or merely acquaintances. If someone does not want to articulate his or her loss, but prefers to internalise it in his or her own way, that is tantamount to a cry for "leaving it alone".

reefrat
13th Dec 2018, 06:02
Thank you so much for putting into words what we were all thinking.

And deepest condolences to the family and huge thank you Geriaviator

A very sad Reefrat

ElectroVlasic
26th Dec 2018, 12:57
Sad, indeed. I just loved his honest forthright writing style, his willingness to share every memory he had, his willingness to serve as a bridge between generations. I loved his big stories about his time in combat, and his smaller stories about day to day life afterwords. For instance, I found his stories about motoring in the 40s and 50s to be fascinating! I feel blessed to have learned so much from such a great man. RIP, Danny, the world is smaller place without you!

Morris Oxford
2nd Jan 2019, 15:08
Farewell and thank you Danny42C from me too.
Just read this moving thread.
Although I have posted little on Pprune I have read a great deal, and am grateful to all those who contribute for us to read, but especially to Danny42C and his generation.
I was first directed towards the RAF Brevet thread in 2015 when researching the WW2 history of my late father (Sept '21 to Dec '99) , and was immediately hooked.
Dad served from April '41 to June '46 in 82 Squadron, posted to India from March '42 with Vengeances and Mosquitos, shared bases with Danny42C's 110 Squadron at Karachi, Madhaiganj, Kumbhirgram and Joari at various times. This made Dennis's story resonate with me greatly and his passing all the more moving.
Andy

MPN11
2nd Jan 2019, 18:45
Dad served from April '41 to June '46 in 82 Squadron, posted to India from March '42 with Vengeances and Mosquitos, shared bases with Danny42C's 110 Squadron at Karachi, Madhaiganj, Kumbhirgram and Joari at various times. This made Dennis's story resonate with me greatly and his passing all the more moving.
Andy
A timely, if sad, coincidence. The Vengeance fraternity was a small band of warriors.

Walking Ballast
3rd Jan 2019, 02:29
Stand down soldier,
Your mission is done,
The danger over
There's no need to run,
You were trained well,
To obey each demand,
So take this and heed,
This final command,
Rest your body,
close your eyes,
As we weep the loss,
When a good soldier dies,
Bask in peace,
that you can enjoy,
Embrace it for us,
Let it too be our joy,
The life you have lived,
will constantly remind,
And bring on a smile,
to those you leave behind,
We thank you for your serving,
Your loyalty stood true,
And hope someday,
we will meet up with you.

Toby Dewick 2013

RIP Danny. ...... Thank you.

Fantome
3rd Jan 2019, 02:46
Another snippet of verse that Dennis said echoed with him -

Measure not with words the immeasurable .. .
Sink not the string of thought into the fathomless . . .
Who asks does err . ..
Who answers errs . . .
Say nought!

(Anon.)

Fareastdriver
25th Jan 2019, 18:56
I'll bring this on to Page one just so those that missed it can have a look see..

NutLoose
4th Feb 2019, 22:53
Saddened to find another fine pilot has departed and what makes it sadder is it has come to light he was another Vultee Vengeance pilot in India,

https://forum.keypublishing.com/forum/historic-aviation/3849010-tim-elkington-rip

Tim was a veteran of No 1 squadron in the Battle of Britain and, even for someone in the RAF in wartime, he did a truly astonishing amount of things.
He flew Hurricanes catapulted off merchant ships, with no hope of landing once they'd dealt with a convoy raider. He flew Hurricanes alongside an aircraft armed with a huge searchlight in the hope of illuminating enemy raiders (it didn't work very well). He flew in Russia alongside the Red Air Force in the Russian winter.
He met his wife first when she was helping people shoot at him (he was flying an aircraft towing a drogue for target practice for ground gunners, she was on the ground with the gunners). Later, in India, he flew a captured Japanese A6M5 "Zero", and the Vultee Vengeance divebomber.

I find it heartbreaking that these true gents may well have known each other and but for a few scant months we were unable to possibly put them back in contact with one another.... Blue Skies to you all and one hopes you are now meeting up in the bar in the sky .
Additionally we recently lost an Engineer from the squadron too :(

https://forum.keypublishing.com/forum/general-discussion/3842246-obitury-for-one-of-the-many

Navaleye
5th Feb 2019, 03:19
I remember him. Very sorry to hear the news. Blue skies Sir.

MPN11
9th Nov 2021, 18:07
If the Moderators will excuse me, 10 Nov would have been Danny42C's 100th birthday.

Still missing you, and hoping you're behaving up there. Raising a glass, with thanks for all you have done and said.

NutLoose
9th Nov 2021, 18:25
Well said, one hopes he’s soaring high free from the effects of ageing….
one of a kind and sorely missed.

SLXOwft
9th Nov 2021, 19:04
I too shall be raising a glass.

Not only were his posts entertaining and informative, his behaviour towards others on this forum remains an example to us all.

I was also very pleased to see Geriaviator, who has done so much to preserve Dennis's memory and memories, posting today for the first time in ages - it has allayed my concerns as to his welfare.

cavuman1
9th Nov 2021, 19:23
Coincidentally, I just finished a re-read of Danny and the Cold War. A gentleman, scholar, and gifted storyteller. I, too, shall raise a glass in his memory on the 'morrow.

- Ed

skua
10th Nov 2021, 07:32
Happy Birthday Danny - once read, never forgotten.

treadigraph
10th Nov 2021, 09:46
In a pub later for another friend's birthday and will raise a pint to Danny - Happy Birthday and thank you!

Chugalug2
10th Nov 2021, 11:31
Surely our most celebrated and revered member ever! His memory will last as long as we, and PPRuNe, are still around and then some. A most remarkable member of a very special generation.

A glass raised to your century, Danny. Thank you for the pleasure and wisdom you brought to we all who followed you in this forum.

andytug
10th Nov 2021, 11:54
Happy heavenly birthday Danny, I shall raise a glass to you later and as always remember you and other ex-military friends no longer with us when I play the "Last Post" on Sunday morning.

Union Jack
10th Nov 2021, 18:08
Well remembered in every sense, Gentlemen - great tributes to a great man.

Jack

Geriaviator
11th Nov 2021, 10:54
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1000x750/front_cover_postimage_b5ca065f3eee591169268fa1634f84ad527eaa 95.jpg

In joining in the tributes above I am so pleased to see new interest in Danny's e-books as a result of this and the Vampire thread elsewhere, with gratifying results for the RAF Benevolent Fund, Danny's favourite charity. Our thanks to recent donors, the books are still available but please note that you must PM me with your email address so I can send you copy or copies as Prune does not permit attachments.

All we ask is a donation to the Fund, in accordance with his last wishes. Perhaps particularly appropriate this Remembrance Day.

MPN11
11th Nov 2021, 14:28
Well said, Geriaviator.... a rare document that deserves wide circulation!

(Actually, that's not quite what I meant. Not rare, but rather special!)