PDA

View Full Version : Stan Lee passes

IBMJunkman
12th Nov 2018, 19:11
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/stan-lee-marvel-comics-legend-721450

Captivep
12th Nov 2018, 19:13
Passes what?

I mean no offence to anyone who might be mourning Mr Lee but why on earth can't we just say he died?

Lonewolf_50
12th Nov 2018, 19:25
Because we live in the Snowflake era, that's why Captivep.

cavortingcheetah
12th Nov 2018, 19:29
I wonder which of his super heroes he went out as......the legend begins.

G-CPTN
12th Nov 2018, 19:36
Lee's estate is estimated to be worth as much as $70 million.

Did he get to enjoy it?

DaveReidUK
12th Nov 2018, 19:40
I mean no offence to anyone who might be mourning Mr Lee but why on earth can't we just say he died?

Especially as the headline in the linked article says exactly that. Those of an easily offended disposition should avoid clicking on it.

SpringHeeledJack
12th Nov 2018, 20:24
Love the genre, or hate it, Stan Lee's influence on millions over decades has been immense. RIP Stan Lee

alfaman
12th Nov 2018, 21:09
Passes what?

Derives from "passed away" into the next life/world", if that's what people want to believe in.

Because we live in the Snowflake era
nothing to do with snowflakes, one of the oldest terms for death in existence, one my great grandma used.

seafire6b
12th Nov 2018, 21:29
So I guess that now, when a Formula One car overtakes another, it now "dies", as opposed to passes?

Newark_Anagram
12th Nov 2018, 21:38

Exactly, it really annoys me this use of the phrases; passed, passed away, passed on. They died!!

GP

cdtaylor_nats
13th Nov 2018, 07:46
We can't just say he died, it's Marvel - we have to wait to make sure he wasn't a Skrull, a clone or they forget continuity in a couple of years.

ATNotts
13th Nov 2018, 07:52
Exactly, it really annoys me this use of the phrases; passed, passed away, passed on. They died!!

GP

It's a social media / snowflake thing I think. My daughter was talking this weekend about a friend's rabbit - said it had passed, absolutely ridiculous!. I can't recall John Cleese using this term when referring to the dead parrot!!

NumptyAussie
13th Nov 2018, 08:01
It's a social media / snowflake thing I think. My daughter was talking this weekend about a friend's rabbit - said it had passed, absolutely ridiculous!. I can't recall John Cleese using this term when referring to the dead parrot!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4vuW6tQ0218

ATNotts
13th Nov 2018, 09:30
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4vuW6tQ0218

Thanks for posting that link, it's probably the first time I've watched the whole sketch in years. thoroughly un-PC - smoking behind the counter, bashing a supposed live parrot on the counter, suggesting you might put 4000 volts up it. They daren't show that in this sensitive day and age - at least not without the customary "language that may cause offence" warning.

And yes, the term "passed on" is there - I only recall the funny ones!

Dan Gerous
13th Nov 2018, 09:43
Passed, is so Passe'.

IBMJunkman
13th Nov 2018, 12:57
I take it as a personal slight to be called a snowflake. :)

Stan Lee is 6 feet under.
Stan Lee is worm food.
Stan Lee kicked the bucket
Stan Lee gave up the ghost
Stan Lee breathed his last
Stan Lee is at room temperature
Stan Lee became a root inspector
Stan Lee is taking a dirt nap
Stan Lee went to the big comic book in the sky
Stan Lee left the building
etc., etc., etc.

Saintsman
13th Nov 2018, 19:07
Stan Lee is 6 feet under.
Stan Lee is worm food.
Stan Lee kicked the bucket
Stan Lee gave up the ghost
Stan Lee breathed his last
Stan Lee is at room temperature
Stan Lee became a root inspector
Stan Lee is taking a dirt nap
Stan Lee went to the big comic book in the sky
Stan Lee left the building
etc., etc., etc.

So he died then?

IBMJunkman
13th Nov 2018, 19:30
OK, OK.

Stan Lee is dead.

Everyone happy?

DaveReidUK
13th Nov 2018, 22:16
OK, OK.

Stan Lee is dead.

Everyone happy?

No, quite sad really.

Sallyann1234
13th Nov 2018, 22:33
https://www.reddit.com/r/linguistics/comments/4af7x6/at_first_he_died_now_he_dead_an_amusing_story/

tdracer
14th Nov 2018, 01:28
No, quite sad really.

Agreed - although he apparently lived a full and long life. 5 decades ago I was completely hooked on his comics - Spider Man, Fantastic 4, Hulk, etc. I knew what day the new comic books arrived in the local store and I'd head over there that day and wait for them to be placed on the shelves :O
I wonder what effect this will have on Marvel studios - Marvel has accounted for a significant percentage of the non-garbage stuff coming out of Hollywood for years.

Rest in peace Stan, you're going to be missed.

India Four Two
14th Nov 2018, 03:49
Nothing to do with Stan Lee, but the last line of the live version of John Cleese's dead-parrot monologue (if you get my drift) was:

'e f***ing snuffed it!

eal401
14th Nov 2018, 12:20
All those "upset" by the use of the word "passes" (I read it and understood it in a moment) either get a bloody grip of yourself, or jump off a tall building. The latter could be the most productive thing you have ever done...

evansb
14th Nov 2018, 19:05
Stan Lee was instrumental in saving a dying business. It wasn't just the proposed censoring, (and censuring), of comic books in the 1950's that just about killed off the comic book business, it was the increasing popularity of television. Many T.V. programmes of the 1950's were aimed squarely at youth. A child could purchase some candy for the price of a comic book, and then watch a T.V. programme for free. Many parents encouraged their children to watch T.V. in place of reading subversive comic books, as Mom and Dad could see what junior was watching. It was hard to sneak a T.V. set into one's bedroom in the 1950's.

Captivep
15th Nov 2018, 11:31
All those "upset" by the use of the word "passes" (I read it and understood it in a moment) either get a bloody grip of yourself, or jump off a tall building. The latter could be the most productive thing you have ever done...
I don't think anybody misunderstood it, and I certainly wasn't upset by the use of the word; just wondering why people feel the need to use such a euphemism.

It's rather amusing, however, that your reaction to what you perceive to be an over reaction is quite so irritated and cross! :D

NumptyAussie
16th Nov 2018, 04:17
I don't think anybody misunderstood it, and I certainly wasn't upset by the use of the word; just wondering why people feel the need to use such a euphemism.

It's rather amusing, however, that your reaction to what you perceive to be an over reaction is quite so irritated and cross! :D
:D:D:D
I found it a little strange that his over reaction to a over reaction involved advocating suicide!

Tankertrashnav
16th Nov 2018, 17:18
Over reaction to an over reaction can have unfortunate consequences. A bit like pooh-poohing a pooh-pooh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeF1JO7Ki8E