PDA

View Full Version : An American in Manchester

ORAC
12th Nov 2018, 07:30
From today’s POLITICO, enjoy.......

YANKEE DOODLE: My D.C. colleague Daniel Lippman flagged this travel review (http://devonzuegel.com/post/city-review-manchester-england) of Playbook’s home (ish) city of Manchester by a city-obsessed blogger from San Francisco, who flew over for a weekend in October. “I’ve never seen such widespread, extreme public drunkenness in my life,” she begins, gobsmacked by the merry English way of life. Playbook has rarely felt so proud. She’s also shocked to see women breastfeeding in public, winces at the “strange, dirty smells” coming from the shops and falafel joints, and deems every building of the past 100 years “pretty terrible.” Terrific stuff.

Espada III
12th Nov 2018, 08:01
Well, he will go to a major British city over a weekend.. Imagine if he had been to Newcastle! His eyes would have come out on stalks.. .

There is a reason there are no breast feeding women in San Francisco. Americans are prude, and mostly gay in that city...

Krystal n chips
12th Nov 2018, 08:31
Now that's a truly "inspired " travelogue !...well done, luv, which her mandamship may well have been addressed as a few times during her minimal stay.

Loved the bit about the streets and walking being "unfriendly " and the lament about the "skeletons " of the past architecture ........otherwise known as slums.....and lets face it, if all she saw that so offended her delicate sensibilities was a standard night in Manchester or any other UK City for that matter, it's possibly a good idea if she remains in the utopia of the USA....

Thankfully, for her, it's probably just as well she didn't attend a Utd vs City match....and witnessed the camaraderie that exists between the fans......cough !

Anyway, as a Mancunian...she seemed bemused by this term....all I can say is thanks for the compliments.....luv...... now sod off back across the pond.

ORAC
12th Nov 2018, 09:18
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.......

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/736x907/088f53414eeddb5568945dda4da9b05a_5afeb50fe07199489fedaba2708 67a5e1c9a032c.jpg

meadowrun
12th Nov 2018, 09:44
My home town. Got along just fine.
I won't offer an opinion on Detroit.

WilliumMate
12th Nov 2018, 09:56
Well, I spent a day up there delivering and collecting an exhibition at a rather smart hotel in a converted warehouse next to Old Trafford. The area seemed to be booming. Clean and tidy with new apartment blocks springing up. Very pleasantly surprised as opposed to the nice couple who on being asked for £27 for two bottles of beer and two small glasses of wine in the reception bar looked less than pleasantly surprised. I stuck to the admittedly very nice coffee at £3 a pop.

Bull at a Gate
12th Nov 2018, 09:58
Seriously? One night and that’s enough to review a city? I once drove through Cardiff on my way to Swansea. I might write a review too.

wiggy
12th Nov 2018, 10:32
On my occasional forays back north to see distant relatives I'll admit there might be parts of Wythenshawe I might steer clear off on a Saturday night but if she has a problem with the city centre, well, .....politest way to put it is she really needs to get out more....

Krystal n chips
12th Nov 2018, 10:50
On my occasional forays back north to see distant relatives I'll admit there might be parts of Wythenshawe I might steer clear off on a Saturday night but if she has a problem with the city centre, well, .....politest way to put it is she really needs to get out more....

Nope, you would be quite safe(ish) on"the reservation "......but your cars chance of survival on the other hand....;)

Anyway, thankfully we have not been treated to her impressions of Longsight and Levenshulme, or Ardwick, as she was whisked back to the sanity and ambience of London

Shame she missed Gorton, Harpurhey, Newton Heath, Collyhurst (to name but a few)...which would probably have necessitated a medical evac to the USA in a state of deep shock if she had, and, such brazen culinary indifference here......she never had Hollands Steak and Kidney pudding, chips, and mushy peas !......now that speaks volumes in itself as to how much she saw of Manchester

Ancient Mariner
12th Nov 2018, 10:52
Wonder why Bourbon Street started flashing in me ol' hard disk?
Come to think of it, maybe time for a new visit to Pat O'Brien's.
Per

TURIN
12th Nov 2018, 11:12
Manchester is the most popular European destimation on the network. According to many of the cabin crew members of a certain US airline.

I kid you not, i was shocked too.

Sallyann1234
12th Nov 2018, 11:44
Perhaps Mr Lippman should have stayed in the US and visited somewhere more friendly and welcoming.

Detroit, perhaps.

Hussar 54
12th Nov 2018, 15:27
Imagine if he had been to Newcastle! His eyes would have come out on stalks.. .

I spent quite a few years of my childhood in Manchester after my dad died quite young and mother and myself went to live with his parents before we went back home after she remarried to another RAF flyer based in Germany. And then I went back to Manchester for a couple of years in my early 20s - woman, love, and all that - before getting my first ' proper ' flying job and settling here in France.

Nowadays, I go back to Manchester for a day or so a couple of times each year to see my cousins. The centre is certainly more ' ritzy ' than I ever thought would be possible, but as you guys above have already mentioned, leave the city centre for the suburbs and the majority of them remain just as bad as I remember from all those years ago and perhaps even worse as nowadays every house seems to have two or three tatty cars parked outside and mile after mile of takeaway food shops on the roads leading from the suburbs into the centre.. It all looks so scruffy and untidy.

On the other hand, ten years ago The Daughter gor her first job in the UK working at Newcastle University. I'd never been to Newcastle before and my only expectation when we went to see her for the first time were based on memories of old black and white photos from the Charlie Buchan Football Monthly magazines of the 1950s when, to me as an eight year old in Manachester, Newcastle seemd to be even poorer, dirtier, grittier, etc. Even the photos of footballers and football matches in Newcastle were never black and white, only ever black and grey.

Huge surprise, therefore, when Newcastle city centre turned out to be one of the best examples of modern redevelopment and general clean-up that I've seen anywhere, and so much better than the bling-bling of Manchester's revamped city centre. Horses for courses, I suppose, but no matter how much Manchester tries to impress, it certainly isn't for me.

Krystal n chips
12th Nov 2018, 16:11
" leave the city centre for the suburbs and the majority of them remain just as bad as I remember from all those years ago and perhaps even worse as nowadays every house seems to have two or three tatty cars parked outside and mile after mile of takeaway food shops on the roads leading from the suburbs into the centre.. It all looks so scruffy and untidy. "

The residents of Altrincham , Hale, Hale Barnes, Bowden, Prestwich, Didsbury and..... similar haffluhent locations would probably not be overly impressed with your observations above ......

Hussar 54
12th Nov 2018, 16:19
" leave the city centre for the suburbs and the majority of them remain just as bad as I remember from all those years ago and perhaps even worse as nowadays every house seems to have two or three tatty cars parked outside and mile after mile of takeaway food shops on the roads leading from the suburbs into the centre.. It all looks so scruffy and untidy. "

The residents of Altrincham , Hale, Hale Barnes, Bowden, Prestwich, Didsbury and..... similar haffluhent locations would probably not be overly impressed with your observations above ......

But we live in Cheshire, dahling, not Manchester....

Used to be able to say the same myself when I lived in Hyde until it became Tameside - the long-time residents of Hyde were almost suicidal to be lumped together with Ashton , Denton and Droylesden....

M.Mouse
12th Nov 2018, 16:23
One of the downsides of the internet is that every idiot and his or her dog can publish something which can, with a few exceptions, be read worldwide.

If that same person started talking to you in a pub you would probably walk away muttering........

Krystal n chips
12th Nov 2018, 17:06
But we live in Cheshire, dahling, not Manchester....

Used to be able to say the same myself when I lived in Hyde until it became Tameside - the long-time residents of Hyde were almost suicidal to be lumped together with Ashton , Denton and Droylesden....

Yep,I know, whence cometh the creation of Greater Manchester, many smelling salts were consumed over the fact Weemaserlow remained in Cheshire, but, sadly, those residents in Altrincham and suburbs thereof were downgraded to being in Manchester....terrible really...:E

But you survived Hyde ! .....and yep, the residents did have a valid view about being conjoined with those des res locations you mention......Hyde can be quite peaceful at times.......in comparison ;)

obgraham
12th Nov 2018, 18:41
This is a fascinating parallel.

An American goes for a short visit in one of the UK urban areas and comes away with the impression that the whole country is a bunch of drunks. Immediately the Brits here get their backs up, with "how dare you judge us" and "you are stupid". Meanwhile completely failing to acknowledge that the UK does indeed have a problem with public drunkenness. You'd have to be blind and olfactorily challenged not to see it.

On the other interminable threads, though, Brits read and watch the media, sometimes visit, and conclude that the whole of the US is murdering each other with guns. We, of course get our backs up with "2nd amendment" and "you're being selective". Most of us here do accept that we have a social problem with violence, marked in the inner cities and complicated by mental health issues.

I know, I know: "guns and murder are worse than booze and barfing". My point, rather, is the lack of awareness, and the predictable reaction to an outsider critiquing one's culture.

bafanguy
12th Nov 2018, 18:55
This is a fascinating parallel.

My point, rather, is the lack of awareness, and the predictable reaction to an outsider critiquing one's culture.

It appears our British colleagues are a bit ruffled at someone who knows nothing about their culture trashing it publicly.

Imagine that...:rolleyes:

Pontius Navigator
12th Nov 2018, 18:56
Wry smile :D

Espada III
12th Nov 2018, 19:19
And Prestwich is the new Didsbury....

Both in Manchester. As is Chorlton. Expensive to live in all those areas. Three bed semis over £300,000.

​​​​​​At least we didn't get any football comments from the 'correspondent'.

Blue moon.....

MCDU2
12th Nov 2018, 19:50
We had to change crew hotels in SFO as you ran the risk of being mugged if you turned the wrong way out of the lobby. Homeless people openly doing number twos in daylight between parked cars as well as popping needles into themselves. Chicago did a great job of getting rid of them on a one way bus trip to the West Coast. I suspect she doesn't spend much time in central SFO....Perhaps hangs out in the cafes and gastro pubs in Marina with a very blinkered view of her own city/country.

WingNut60
12th Nov 2018, 21:02
One of the downsides of the internet is that every idiot and his or her dog can publish something which can, with a few exceptions, be read worldwide.

If that same person started talking to you in a pub you would probably walk away muttering........

I am intrigued by the concept, and keen to know how to gain accreditation, as a "Social Media Influencer", a phrase that is being encountered more frequently of late.
Or, as with gender, can I just accredit myself?

Pontius Navigator
12th Nov 2018, 21:06
MCDU2, you remind me of something at a car hire depot. There was a notice telling staff not to put their hands into car door pockets o r under seats and to call the fire department of they needed to probe hidden areas. Drug needles.

West Coast
12th Nov 2018, 21:26
Limeys like dishing out the criticism, dont seem to accept incoming nearly as well though.

meadowrun
12th Nov 2018, 21:55
Think it's the old "fly-in, stay a day and know everything about the place.
If it's Tuesday, it must be Manchester, type tripping.

And we invented self-depreciating humour.
What roles did Manchester play in the development of the American nation?

Gertrude the Wombat
12th Nov 2018, 21:59
Anyway, thankfully we have not been treated to her impressions of ... Levenshulme ...
... where I will be spending this coming weekend - picked up my train tickets today.

Um... lifting...
12th Nov 2018, 23:09
Have not been to SFO in quite some time, but reports are not good. For many years, the area around the Market Street BART Station was quite unpleasant, but one gathers that now that most blocks in the vicinity of Union Square are often littered with syringes and human waste and most BART stations are filled with homeless people. Don't take my word for it. Plenty of San Franciscans have weighed in on the matter. There was a time when I would visit the city regularly for a few days, walk for hours daily visiting Nob Hill, Chinatown, Telegraph Hill, The Filbert Steps, North Beach, The Marina, The Embarcadero, the odd-numbered piers, the Ferry Terminal Market and on and on. I'm sure there are still delightful enclaves, but the getting between them on foot is becoming more difficult.

San Francisco (https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2018/04/25/drug-users-san-francisco-civic-center-bart/)

Have never been to Manchester, but my septuagenarian neighbors next door sold out of Manchester to come to the U.S. Granted, they have no family tying them to the UK and a pair of daughters here. But they said "it's changed".

obgraham
12th Nov 2018, 23:43
What roles did Manchester play in the development of the American nation? As you likely know, Meadow, and is not widely known in the US, Abraham Lincoln felt that the "Men of Manchester" did as much or more than anyone else to ensure the Union victory in the Civil War.

That, however, is not what this issue is about!

meadowrun
13th Nov 2018, 01:31
This is true but I wondered how the tiny artlcle might have read had the author been cognizant of the historical connections and interplay, not just the superficiality of what her eyes could see today, the problems many modern cities, in many places, are dealing with.
But then, good travel writers are hard to find.

Prawn2king4
13th Nov 2018, 02:19
Imagine if he had been to Newcastle! His eyes would have come out on stalks.. .

Huge surprise, therefore, when Newcastle city centre turned out to be one of the best examples of modern redevelopment and general clean-up that I've seen anywhere, and so much better than the bling-bling of Manchester's revamped city centre. Horses for courses, I suppose, but no matter how much Manchester tries to impress, it certainly isn't for me.

H54 .... well said. Couldn't agree more.

Krystal n chips
13th Nov 2018, 06:53
Limeys like dishing out the criticism, dont seem to accept incoming nearly as well though.

Aye up West Coast.....!

Has your sense of humour mode been placarded "INOP " then ?....

Anyway, lets have a thunk here. Strangely, for a travelogue, no mention of the hotel that was clearly privileged to have her patronage but it was in the City centre and she did manage to find her way to St Johns gardens...not that difficult really....but she then says she ate at an Ethiopian restaurant of which there are two one of which is near Ancoats so that was probably a walk too far for her. Also, what time did she arrive in Manchester, what time did she depart and, in the interim, how long was she sleeping for......all of which have a relevance as to how long she actually spent being traumatised you understand

On the subject of walking she offers a heartfelt lament as to the time it takes for the pedestrian crossings to change priority. Her astute observational prowess must have missed the fact, that, unlike the USA where crossing on a red light renders you liable to 150 yrs ( without parole ) here in the UK people happily dodge the traffic

And an honourable mention for her gracing the Museum of Science and Industry for.......a mere 15 mins ! ....maybe this is a derivative of "speed dating " ?
Anyway, she finally made it to the sanctuary of Manchester Piccadilly Shopping Emporium ( formerly a railway station ) from whence she could be conveyed in the opulence of, presumably, "Virgin Rail First Class "......you get the impression travelling Virgin Cattle wouldn't have even been considered by her, back through leafy Cheshire and thence to the epicentre of the known, and BBC, world.....London.

" where I will be spending this coming weekend - picked up my train tickets today"

Hey Gertie, I know Levenshulme is now being gentrified....love that term....but wasn't aware it now featured as a "weekend break " destination :D
You going to Picc and coming back so to speak, or changing at Stockport and going forward.....being sensible enough to avoid the A6 of course.
Shame Levenshulme had one notorious resident really......enter "Honest Ernie " in this respect.

Anyway, as you bimble across Stockport viaduct and look down, or look up from the ground, try to imagine the sight of not one, but two F-!04's heading East and at a suitably low level altitude one day......gave a whole new meaning to that well known expression "temporarily uncertain of my position "......Luftwaffe to save anybody wondering.

ian16th
13th Nov 2018, 08:27
What roles did Manchester play in the development of the American nation?

Bought their slave grown cotton.

ORAC
13th Nov 2018, 09:24
https://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/from-the-archive-blog/2013/feb/04/lincoln-oscars-manchester-cotton-abraham

When cotton was king, Manchester's busy textile mills dressed the world. Because of this, great fortunes were made and ordinary families were fed. But in 1862, Lancashire mill workers, at great personal sacrifice, took a principled stand by refusing to touch raw cotton picked by US slaves.........

Pontius Navigator
13th Nov 2018, 09:58
When it comes to an instant opinion you don't have to be a Yank in Manchester or a Brit in SFO, we can make an instant judgement anywhere at home too.

Just about any large town or city can be the pits. We used to go to a particular hotel in one large city in England and it was not a place we would have chosen to go. OTOH, night stopped in the centre of Cardiff during very hot weather; it was wonderful.

obgraham
13th Nov 2018, 15:26
Bought their slave grown cotton.

You might want to look into the totality of this matter, Ian16th, and learn the difference between the actions of the governing class versus the actions of the workers. Start by googling "Lancashire Cotton Famine".

ExRAFRadar
13th Nov 2018, 15:31
I loved the line "British women love leopard print.".

That's quite correct, all of them love leopard print. All of them.

I understand all Americans are fat, redneck, gun carrying lunatics.

However when I think about it I may just be generalising a tad.

Ancient Observer
13th Nov 2018, 17:12
As a Brit, I like visiting US cities.

I have been killed by gun fire in NYC, Cleveland, Pittswhatever, that drunken street in Old Orleans, Wilmington Delaware, and that place in the Wire

I have been run over and killed on the I95, the route 1 road on the left of USA, and might not go back again as that is 8 of my 9 lives.

Austin was nicer. They drive slowly there and do not get their guns out so much.

chopper2004
13th Nov 2018, 19:52
She should have tried Leeds instead :mad: :E

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/07/23/disaster-day-one-end-britains-first-legal-red-light-district/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6382047/Sick-pervert-asks-grandmother-hour-four-month-old-baby.html

wiggy
13th Nov 2018, 20:24
On the subject of walking she offers a heartfelt lament as to the time it takes for the pedestrian crossings to change priority. Her astute observational prowess must have missed the fact, that, unlike the USA where crossing on a red light renders you liable to 150 yrs ( without parole ) here in the UK people happily dodge the traffic

:D :D :ok: oh so true....

ExSp33db1rd
13th Nov 2018, 21:37
We had to change crew hotels in SFO as you ran the risk of being mugged if you turned the wrong way out of the lobby.

Came out of the Captain Cook hotel in Anchorage, to go for breakfast ( remember, it was a point of honour never to eat in the hotel that one slept in ! ) A very smartly dressed young woman stepped on to the sidewalk ( see how US I am becoming ! ) from between two parked cars and said " have you any change ? " I immediately assumed that she needed coins for a parking meter, fetched all the loose change out of my pocket and started to sort through it.
She scooped the lot up and said "thanks, I've just arrived in town and need a coffee" and walked off ! What could I have done ? Had I chased after her I would have been accused of "Sexual Harrassment " ( though the term hadn't been invented in those days )

WingNut60
13th Nov 2018, 22:33
Came out of the Captain Cook hotel in Anchorage, to go for breakfast .......

Aah, lovely downtown Anchorage, where the street signs have bullet holes.

tdracer
14th Nov 2018, 01:57
It does take a special kind of clueless for someone from San Francisco to criticize pretty much any other city for smelling bad. I haven't been to SF for a couple years, but last time I was there (and staying in a fancy hotel in a 'nice' part of town), stepping outside the smell of human waste was almost overwhelming. All indications are that it has gotten infinitely worse since. Beautiful city, but unless they can do something about the toxic combination of homelessness and substance abuse that has become rampant, I don't think I'll be going back.
Sadly, I'm watching the same thing happen in Seattle, where the politicians seem to think that they are being 'compassionate' by enabling and even subsidizing self destructive behavior.

Agreed - occasionally curiosity gets the better of me and make the mistake of clicking on one of those links - and nearly always end up regretting the waste of time.

ORAC
14th Nov 2018, 03:43
There seems to be a lot of outraged “butwhataboutery” being demonstrated.

Doubtless there are are many cities both in the USA and elsewhere which have equal problems, but does that gainsay here comments concerning Manchester?

double_barrel
14th Nov 2018, 03:57
Any Brit town centre on a Friday or Saturday night is a pretty disgusting experience. I don't think many Brits would argue with that. There is definitely a problem with a segment of people who think it is normal and acceptable to get totally sh!tfaced on a regular basis.

BTW. She definitely 'lied' (or misremembered) her encounter where she quotes a Manc saying::

Can you help? Hello, miss... erm... is this my Can you help? Hello, miss... erm... is this my cellphone?" ?"

No way a random Manc (or any Brit) would use the word cellphone, or indeed say Hello, miss. Or, if she is reporting accurately she must have bumped into an American!

meadowrun
14th Nov 2018, 06:12
in Seattle, where the politicians seem to think that they are being 'compassionate' by enabling and even subsidizing self destructive behavior

Taking this to be about opioid use. Many councils are taking this tack, treating the mass of hard-drug users as walking wounded in need of coddling - and supplying - and reviving - often multiple times. This problem does indeed go beyond the down and outers either too damaged to even contemplate a semblance of a normal life or have selected these drugs as their focal point over everything else in life or the suburban recreational users when mummy and daddy aren't home.
It is all enabling. any other possible solutions have been discarded by politicians. Heroin - you poor boy! Weed? Let's lock you up.....still. Or, in this country, remove the 95 year old vastly unjust law criminalizing it, enacted by the cloth-headed, stuffed shirt politicians of the era yet feel obligated to surround its legality with more laws, controlled distribution by government and opened wide big business access. No thought to the gentle culture it has mostly been surrounded by in those 95 illegal years (Mexican brick excluded)
Fentanyl will get them all in the end - a long end admittedly. The Chinese are doing nothing to crack down on the manufacturers (vast majority comes from China) and the crims are shipping the stuff out in micro-shipments in the mail that are nearly impossible to detect. Some of the exporters guarantee a refund if the stuff is intercepted by customs and a replacement shipment.
This works because of the tiny amounts of Fentanyl needed for cutting. Again, amounts of fentanyl less than the size of a grain of sand can and likely will kill you.

Want to enable useless, homeless, jobless, often all criminal lifestyles of hard drug users? - keep buying needles and safe sites facilitate the injection of toxins into their blood streams as if it was a normal part of society, something you have to deal with in modern life, can't fix it, the price you have to pay, like the risks of terrorism in the cities of the 21st century, just live with it.
We've got a lot of politicians as screwed up as the users.

ian16th
14th Nov 2018, 07:33
You might want to look into the totality of this matter, Ian16th, and learn the difference between the actions of the governing class versus the actions of the workers. Start by googling "Lancashire Cotton Famine".

Manchester's purchasing of American cotton still had a a significant affect on the US development.

evansb
14th Nov 2018, 18:33
Anchorage is a very safe city for it's size. The traveler should rarely have a problem with crime while visiting. ... Areas around Spenard have a higher crime rate than other neighborhoods in Anchorage as well as some sections of Mountain View. These areas aren't violent, there is just more open drug use in these areas.

In the U.S.A., The State of Alaska has the highest rate of fire arm deaths. Death by firearm per 100,000 population: 19.8

Probably the primary factor is: No permit required for purchase of a firearm.

In Alaska, suicide was the leading cause of gun deaths, with it being the main factor in more than 80% of all firearm deaths. John Roman, senior fellow at the Urban Institute, an economic and social policy think tank told USA Today that states with the highest rates of suicide also usually had the strongest culture of gun ownership. "There are many more suicides in places where it's easy to get a gun," he said.

Number of homicides in London, England this year? (2018): 121. Population: 8 million.
Number of homicides in peaceful Toronto, Canada this year? (2018): 89. Population: 6 million.

Gertrude the Wombat
14th Nov 2018, 19:12
In the U.S.A., The State of Alaska has the highest rate of fire arm deaths. Death by firearm per 100,000 population: 19.8
Walking along a boardwalk into a forest.

Got to the end of the boardwalk where there we a couple of guys working on building the next bit.

There was a rifle leaning against a tree. "You're lucky we didn't shoot you," they say, "we thought you were a bear at first when we heard you coming".

OK, so having a rifle whilst doing that job in that part of the world is fair enough if you don't believe in bear spray, a necessary tool of the trade. But we really didn't think their "joke" (if indeed it was) was funny.

Sallyann1234
14th Nov 2018, 19:38
If you build a boardwalk into a forest, it seems pretty obvious that you'll encounter wild creatures. If you kill them it will no longer be the forest that you wanted to visit.

Wouldn't it be better to stay at home and leave the forest's inhabitants to theirs' ?

Gertrude the Wombat
14th Nov 2018, 20:26
If you build a boardwalk into a forest, it seems pretty obvious that you'll encounter wild creatures. If you kill them it will no longer be the forest that you wanted to visit.
This was some decades ago. On this year's visit to Canada the message was very much "that's bear country, you wanna go there you play by their rules".

obgraham
14th Nov 2018, 22:01
I quite enjoy how you all manage to deflect a thread that dealt with Manchester and its possible social problems into yet another anti-American gun rant!

Introspection does not appear to be your strong point.

Gertrude the Wombat
14th Nov 2018, 22:41
I quite enjoy how you all manage to deflect a thread that dealt with Manchester and its possible social problems into yet another anti-American gun rant!
There is a connection - there are guns in Manchester. My lad has one of them.

Loose rivets
15th Nov 2018, 00:58
I'm still wanting to go to Manchester and Warrington to research my granddad. It seems I'm running out of time so it has to be this coming year. I'm saddened to hear about the prices of houses as I'd wondered if it would be cheaper to move to the area for a while. Got to go to Cambridge to pop off as they've agreed to take me mortal coil but I've got this irrational need to go and look at a grave - and then go out to Holywell to get the look and feel of where so many of me rellies started out. Denton. The pub there looks much the same, or it did until recently, but the highway is a bit of a clue that things might be different.

Newcastle??!! You let your daughter go to Newcastle? She'll come back case-hardened. Minus 40 degrees, with na' but mini skirt and blouse, and the girls'll still stand outside with their pints and ciggies. Actually, I did like my 'retirement job' with Gill. Smashing bunch.

Krystal n chips
15th Nov 2018, 04:54

Introspection does not appear to be your strong point.

The only social problems Manchester has reside in the area around Altrincham, Bowden, Hale and Hale Barnes.......now that's been clarified, lets go back to this years Booker Prize contender.

You have to wonder quiet what, and why, a visit to Manchester was induced in the first place.....was this planned in advance...thus saving a few quid ( bucks ) on the rail fare, or, was she passing the concrete façade of London Euston one day, popped inside, saw a destination board ( if working that is ) and thought "Gee, sounds cool, I'll jump on board ! "..this act of spontaneity costing her a mortgage irrespective of whether she chose First or Cattle and as Virgin's "off peak " services are only available between 11.59.59hrs and 12.01 hrs, she would have been ripped of by Bearded Rail just like the rest of us anyway.

Does she have any previous insights as to cities gained from a cursory amble around, or was Manchester her first venture.....sorry luv, you've failed..in this respect.

Hopefully however, she will condescend to grace the sun kissed....albeit possibly infused with the delicate aroma of stale kebabs, the fragrance of au du human bodily functions and the ever gracious Mancunian residents......boulevards of Deansgate, Whitworth Street, Oxford Road, Oldham Street London Road...and Portland Street....to name but a few to reprise her visit, this time announced in advance.

To appease our Americun contributors however, I have actually been shot at in Manchester...not with a real.375 Magnum I hasten to add, it was actually an air gun pellet in Heaton Chapel on the A6 one day and it wasn't personal...just your everyday nutter who decided to entertain itself by randomly aiming at the passing traffic from its bedroom window....as you do.....the two bottles of lemonade that transited through a closed window, and thence to the A6 near" McVities" in Levenshulme were just a shade more disconcerting however.....

Espada III
15th Nov 2018, 06:00
Being a city break lover, I would normally do some of the more usual touristy things such a walking tour, visit a museum, find some decent restaurants etc etc. Yes, I would spot some of the less savoury residents going about their weekend entertainment, but unless I was assaulted in some way I would ignore it.

Paris, Barcelona, Berlin etc all have less salubrious districts which one might stumble into but no-one would say they are cities not worth visiting due to the antics of some citizens. To visit Manchester and only report on the drunkenness that one can find regretfully throughout the UK is objectionable and lazy. In Manchester there is great history, wonderful football and a thriving arts scene, both formal and alternative. How she missed any of this is beyond me. Strikes me she did not venture more than 20 yards from the door of the hotel.

eal401
15th Nov 2018, 07:20

People OK with their citizens having their "brains" blown out by guns on a regular basis are upset by natural feeding of a baby or someone who has enjoyed a few drinks.

I can certainly spot the idiots in this piece....

tremblerman
16th Nov 2018, 19:35
Krystal, have you ever been to the towns you claim to have a social problem?
As a resident of Hale for the past 30+ years, the only social problem I have encountered is the exorbitant price charged for mediocre ales in the local hostelries.

Krystal n chips
17th Nov 2018, 07:21
Krystal, have you ever been to the towns you claim to have a social problem?
As a resident of Hale for the past 30+ years, the only social problem I have encountered is the exorbitant price charged for mediocre ales in the local hostelries.

Ah, a newcomer them...presumably you passed the vetting procedure without too much difficulty ?

Anyway, to answer your question, and it's possible you may have missed my references to various locations in Manchester have been based on actually knowing the City, and residents, rather than a cursory 360deg swivel of the head as performed by the author of the travelogue in question,.....do the letters A,G.S mean anything to you?...located very near to Hale station, perhaps ?

I can assure, that, the residents of those twee locations mentioned have long been a social problem.....

You weren't one of those who signed a petition a few years ago demanding the freight trains stop running at night cos they were interfering with their embraces with Ms Morpheous by any chance, this inconvenience being presumably not mentioned when purchasing their"des res " home and postcode......and the fact the railway has been there since 18 summat or other.....

Ogre
17th Nov 2018, 08:56
Could have been worse, she could have gone to 'ull...... (talking to the locals I was under the impressions that was the correct name and the "H" was silent).

IFMU
17th Nov 2018, 12:05
Excellent article, thanks for the link.

sitigeltfel
17th Nov 2018, 12:24
There is a thread running in a similar vein over at ARRse..

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/taboo-subjects-in-brit-culture-that-most-americans-dont-grasp.288376/

They get a bit more animated over there...;)

West Coast
17th Nov 2018, 12:45
People OK with their citizens having their "brains" blown out by guns on a regular basis are upset by natural feeding of a baby or someone who has enjoyed a few drinks.

I can certainly spot the idiots in this piece....

Who says I'm ok with it? You do make it easy to point out the idiots by assuming something as bloody stupid as that. Anyway, Brits are thin skinned when it comes to incoming, this thread an example of that.

G-CPTN
17th Nov 2018, 12:48
'ull, 'ell and 'alifax were what I was taught as a child.

ian16th
17th Nov 2018, 13:35
Could have been worse, she could have gone to 'ull...... (talking to the locals I was under the impressions that was the correct name and the "H" was silent).

Would that be 'ull on't 'umber?

Used to drive through it.

Onto a North Sea Ferry for Euro-port.

Never set foot in 'ull!

treadigraph
17th Nov 2018, 13:36
I 'ave. 'Eaven it ain't.

tremblerman
18th Nov 2018, 19:29
Sorry to dissapoint, I cannot hear the railway from my hallowed halls so would have no reason to complain.
Why do you have a downer on A.G.S?

gileraguy
19th Nov 2018, 04:51
The best thing i remember visiting Manchester at Xmas, as an Aussie, was the number of people who would ask me for directions when i was walking down to the pub! It happened every time!!!

I just said "I'm not from 'round here mate..."

The pubs were nice, the people were nice, but the beer was shite...
Fosters or that swill they tip back into the keg... I ended up drinking Bud...
No one in Australia (that I know) has EVER drunk Fosters...

meadowrun
19th Nov 2018, 05:01
Yes, I remember scrambling to the local corner pub after work in Sydney in time to get a schooner, maybe two, of Tooheys Old, before closing time.

Krystal n chips
19th Nov 2018, 05:35
Sorry to dissapoint, I cannot hear the railway from my hallowed halls so would have no reason to complain.
Why do you have a downer on A.G.S?

Some time ago, on here, there was a longish thread about somebody called Fred and his interpretation of "extra curricular activities " which prompted quite a few comments about AGS most of which were far from complimentary.

This hallowed hall of learning was overseen for many years by an individual who was autocratic enough to make Saddam look benevolent and , ably supported by many members of his staff, combined the traits of socio / psychopath in equal measure. On arrival at said institution, you were streamed, unless you had obvious academic ability...which lets me out of course.....according to which side of Altrincham you came from. Assuming you survived your incarceration, the next step was a career....for said sociopath, the options were these......Oxbridge . Darters or Sanders.....Cranners was never even considered as it was the RAF and he loathed the RAF....Halton ?...some place for low grade engineers and totally disregarded but, strangely, Hamble was acceptable to him. No others possible careers were considered suitable although medicine was tolerated.

Rugby posts were banned on the playing fields, you had a compulsory 10 15 mins walk to their location because he felt they ruined the aesthetics of the playing fields.! When he left, after being there for some considerable time, the collection amounted to a mere £67 or thereabouts, such was his immense popularity.

The local population however were, and always have been, those who adore themselves, dedicated Tories and convinced of their own social superiority. Next time you venture to Sainsbury's, take a walk to Goose Green and ask yourself, who, apart form the desperate for a post code, would choose to live in the flats that are deprived of light for most of the day, or further afield, those flats facing Canal road leading down from Timperley station.....as wuz, now a Metrolink minimal shelter stop.

"the beer was shite " ...

Ah, a jaded Aussie palate then !......actually, had you been offered a product from a now defunct brewery called "Wilsons" you would have a valid point. Wilsons was very good, assuming the landlord knew what they were doing, but didn't, as they say, " travel well " and what emerged at the pump tended to reflect this.....however, there was an alternative, well two actually, in order of priority....the first being Boddingtons. formerly located conveniently for Strangeways nick, or, Robinsons from Stockport.....both were acceptable and still are, albeit even these have, sadly, fallen victim in part to modern tastes.....the best thing that can be said about a rival, "Hydes" is that it made the R.Irwell look, and probably taste, palatable in comparison .

Wodrick
19th Nov 2018, 16:08
What about Holts Nectar ?

Hussar 54
19th Nov 2018, 17:40
Yes, I remember scrambling to the local corner pub after work in Sydney in time to get a schooner, maybe two, of Tooheys Old, before closing time.

Some of the best times of my life were warm summer evenings in Freemantle with seemingly endless quantities of ice cold draft Swan.

Arthur Bellcrank
19th Nov 2018, 17:45
JW Lees for proper beer, it has been brewing Bitter for almost 200 years, started brewing new fangled lager in 1995, lots of modern craft beers, but no need really, the proper stuff is available from the haunted brewery in Middleton.

tremblerman
19th Nov 2018, 19:32
JW Lees Manchester Craft Lager is an excellent brew though a tad expensive, even for a Hale resident.
I quite enjoy the Original Lager, better price as well.

Espada III
19th Nov 2018, 22:36
John Willie Lee's beer is an acquired taste and most people don't.

Holts is far superior, has better establishments and actually comes from Manchester not a small town in Rochdale.