PDA

View Full Version : Pay pal new debit card number request

Krystal n chips
11th Nov 2018, 05:54
This seems genuine enough, albeit I'm always suspicious, because my card does expire shortly but I do wonder as to why Pay pal should send a reminder to update my new card details with them.

Is this a standard policy to request this information by Pay pal please .

Eddie Dean
11th Nov 2018, 06:22
This seems genuine enough, albeit I'm always suspicious, because my card does expire shortly but I do wonder as to why Pay pal should send a reminder to update my new card details with them.

Is this a standard policy to request this information by Pay pal please .Have a Paypal account using debit card same as you, never been asked for an update. Was this when you attempted to buy or by random email?

tescoapp
11th Nov 2018, 06:57
even if you do get requests like this its relatively simple to get round safely.

Just don't use any links in the email. Go directly to the site using a manual input of the web address and then go and have a look and update the card if required.

Krystal n chips
11th Nov 2018, 07:12
Have a Paypal account using debit card same as you, never been asked for an update. Was this when you attempted to buy or by random email?

It was a random email. Coincidentally, or otherwise, I also got an email from "McAfee" saying my subscription had expired which was interesting as I haven't used McAfee for about 8 years, but I am aware of this scam plus another from Norton, who I do use, asking me to confirm my email address.

I get little or no spam and am ultra cautious when it comes to seemingly "legitimate " emails asking for information which the source should already have. And I never open attachments or click on reply.

A lot like "Dr Google ", there's plenty of information available, in theory, about various scams but even so, I am wary.

tescoapp.....thanks for that advice, I admit I hadn't considered this option which makes perfect sense.

tescoapp
11th Nov 2018, 08:19
To be honest I never ever use links in emails. Be it from credit cards saying the bank statement is available through to power company's asking for meter readings.

Even had discussions at work because I won't click on the ones they send me either on my company email account. If they want me to click on them they can provide me with a computer to click on them.
And the IT manager when he got involved confirmed sending out links to people to files is unsecure and open for abuse so blocked it. Which wasn't the outcome that the HR person who had the issue with me about it was expecting.

longer ron
11th Nov 2018, 08:24
To be honest I never ever use links in emails.

Yup - neither do I - I always do a manual input look at the official website and at my personal account if required.

finncapt
11th Nov 2018, 19:35
I wouldn't go anywhere near it.

If you need to use paypal, then is the time to update your no. if the old card has expired.

Ancient Observer
11th Nov 2018, 21:00
Have been with Paypal for years, with various cards. They have never asked me to update a card, even though they have run out.
Yours sounds like a scam.

FullOppositeRudder
11th Nov 2018, 22:13
I've had this request - it co-incided with the issue of a new credit card, same number, new expiry date. The previous card date was about to expire.

The credit card detail is simply a fall back for them if my nominated bank account has insufficient funds for a payment. I'm a little nervous about this arrangement; the credit card has a very useful limit if it were to be illegally exploited, but there is that risk wherever and whenever it is used.

ShyTorque
11th Nov 2018, 23:29
I had a similar email a few weeks back. I binned the email without replying; I reckoned it was a phishing attempt because there was nothing to confirm the request on the official site. Never heard any more and my PayPal account still works fine.

Krystal n chips
12th Nov 2018, 05:29
Thanks for the replies and personal experiences.

I have followed tescoapps advice and updated my details directly on their website.

I did some searching and seemingly the scam that was highlighted was the one that begins with "Dear Customer "....mine commenced with my full name and included the last four numbers of my expired card and please bear in mind I only rarely use the card for on line transactions hence my suspicions and query on here.

FullOppositeRudder
12th Nov 2018, 09:41
It always pays to err on the safe side.

I chased up the parallel communication from Paypal which I received twenty months ago, and to which I referred above. That email offered the same information to me, and action required updating the details on the Paypal site which I duly did - as you have.

Credit card debits have been widely accepted here in Australia. Our monthly mobile phone accounts are debited automatically by the company - if I recall correctly, they also required an update of details similar to that requested by Paypal at the time the old card expired.

Almost all other our other accounts are paid by credit card and come to me for authorization before that can happen. The system has worked well. I only write out one cheque a month these days - that's for our daily paper and its delivery.