PDA

View Full Version : Icelands banned Christmas advert......... Why?

NutLoose
10th Nov 2018, 20:34
Finally a thought provoking advert.... And it gets banned.

https://youtube.com/watch?t=21s&v=JdpspllWI2o

Gertrude the Wombat
10th Nov 2018, 20:42
Yes, well, I tried to track down evidence of it being banned via Twitter and wasn't given any.

The thought has occurred to me that if you make such an ad and then claim it has been banned you'll get lots of views on social media without all the expense of actually paying a telly company to broadcast it.

NutLoose
10th Nov 2018, 21:05
https://www.euronews.com/2018/11/10/iceland-palm-oil-advert-petition-launched-for-ban-to-be-overturned

flash8
10th Nov 2018, 22:16
The thought has occurred to me that if you make such an ad and then claim it has been banned you'll get lots of views on social media without all the expense of actually paying a telly company to broadcast it.Indeed that also occurred to me, they have not only got more than their moneys worth many, many times over, but it is immortalised on the net for eternity... somebody deserves a promotion!

wowzz
10th Nov 2018, 22:27
Regardless of the why's and wherefores, hopefully the message will slowly start getting through that using palm oil has an impact on all of us, and not in a good way.

sitigeltfel
11th Nov 2018, 05:03
All Christmas advertising should be banned until the 1st of December, two months of hysterical propaganda is beyond endurance.

Bah, humbug!

oldpax
11th Nov 2018, 06:06
Malaysia ,Indonesia just miles and miles of the damn stuff!Even here in Thailand people are starting to plant plantations of them .

Pontius Navigator
11th Nov 2018, 07:20
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/132x264/images_28571423be5aaea29c49087d7140d7f219c9e12e.jpg

DaveReidUK
11th Nov 2018, 08:32
Yes, well, I tried to track down evidence of it being banned via Twitter and wasn't given any.

The thought has occurred to me that if you make such an ad and then claim it has been banned you'll get lots of views on social media without all the expense of actually paying a telly company to broadcast it.

A couple of minutes with Google sufficed:

Iceland was set for one of the most striking Christmas campaigns among UK retailers with a plan to air a version of Greenpeace animation "Rang-tan", created by Mother – but was forced to change course after Clearcast said it would be in breach of the BCAP Code.

The supermarket had been working with Greenpeace on plans to remove palm oil from its own-label products by the end of this year. The environmental impact of palm oil, which threatens orangutan habitats, is the subject of the film, which has provoked huge public interest since its launch in August.

According to a spokeswoman for Clearcast, it had been unable to clear the ad because it was "concerned that it doesn’t comply with the political rules of the BCAP Code". She added: "The creative submitted to us is linked to another organisation who have not yet been able to demonstrate compliance in this area."

Clearcast halted Iceland's plans to re-use Greenpeace 'Rang-taan' film (https://www.prweek.com/article/1498526/clearcast-halted-icelands-plans-reuse-greenpeace-rang-tan-film)

treadigraph
11th Nov 2018, 08:35
All Christmas advertising should be banned until the 1st of December, two months of hysterical propaganda is beyond endurance.

Bah, humbug!
In a pub last night which had its Christmas trees up...

Tankertrashnav
11th Nov 2018, 08:50
Speaking as someone who like many just whizzes through the ads on pre-recorded stuff at least I got a chance to see this in full. If banning the ad gets the campaign (and Iceland) more publicity then that's just fine by me. As for palm oil plantations - where's a couple of napalm equipped F4 squadrons when you need them?

Super VC-10
11th Nov 2018, 10:21

Bah, humbug!

I'm with Sitigeltfel, except that St. Nicholas's day is the 6th December.

Krystal n chips
11th Nov 2018, 10:46
" Finally a thought provoking advert "
But nowhere near as thought provoking as a recent documentary showing their handling, of chilled and frozen produce being simply left outside chillers and freezers due to lack of space at some stores and "management " policy in this respect.......

Gives a whole new meaning to those "BOGOF " promotions really....Buy one product and get a ( select preference here ) choice of food poisoning free !

Pontius Navigator
11th Nov 2018, 12:09
And I thought Christmas and Iceland meant the country