PDA

View Full Version : PF/PM vs PF/PNF

busav8r
10th Nov 2018, 19:06
I would like to hear what is the task sharing definition for the aircraft makers other than Airbus.
The Airbus uses PF/PM (Pilot Flying / Pilot Monitoring) philosophy, but what about Boeing, Embraer, Bombardier, ATR, Cessna, Dassault, Gulfstream, etc?
Is the old philosophy PF/PNF (Pilot Flying / Pilot Non Flying) still in use?

gearlever
10th Nov 2018, 19:11
PF/PM may sound obvious.
Task sharing isn't.

For example in my outfit PF doesn't do the radio calls, in other outfits he/she does.

Banana Joe
10th Nov 2018, 19:12
On 737 on the ground the philosophy is Captain and First Officer probably due to the fact the tiller is only available on the captain's side (customer option to have it on both sides), in flight it's PF and PM.

PF/PM may sound obvious.
Task sharing isn't.

For example in my outfit PF doesn't do the radio calls, in other outfits he/she does.

Usually during abnormals, the PM carries out the NNC and the PF takes over radio communication. At least this is so at my outfit.

Check Airman
10th Nov 2018, 20:28
In substance, what's the difference between PM and PNF?

Uplinker
10th Nov 2018, 21:07
The substance of the role will vary from airline to airline. In airlines I have been in, the Pilot Monitoring does everything except flying; So the walk-around, fuelling and loading supervision, radio, certain selections such as gear and flaps, certain FMGC in-flight programming and changes, flight paperwork, obtaining weather, making position reports etc.

One reason for specifying “Pilot Monitoring”, is probably to reinforce their important role. “Pilot not flying” has negative connotations - suggesting a pilot not doing very much.

Intruder
10th Nov 2018, 23:48
PM is a newer term for EXACTLY the same role as PNF. My airline changed about 5 years ago.

Airmann
11th Nov 2018, 00:09
The change was done as pilot NOT FLYING was considered to be the wrong way to describe the guy who wasn't actively manipulating the flight path. Pilot Monitoring was considered to be more accurate and reinforced the idea that the pilot not actively manipulating the controls still had an active part in ensuring flight parameters were where they should be. My company simply changed the nomenclature in the books, nothing else changed. More psychological than anything else.

FlightDetent
11th Nov 2018, 16:18
I understand that Airbus was actually one of the last large A/C manufacturers to adopt the change PNF ->> PM. When they did there was no change to the suggested SOP's because of this. The explanation being the term PM better reflects what to task are anyway.

Nowadays well reflected in the FCTM. I.e. during the ABNORMAL procedures, the primary role of the PM is to ..
.. monitor the PF job. (my wording, their meaning. Airmanship 101).