PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone fly my dog to Australia?

Mrsnowy
9th Nov 2018, 19:24
My dog is 16 and whilst fit would not cope in the cargo hold now, is there anywhere else he can fly on a plane? My family and I are moving back to Australia however we don’t fly and we’re booked on a cruise next week but have had to cancel now. Snowy has all permits. I have a job waiting for me which I now can’t take. Any pilots want to take him to Melbourne for me?? I know, long shot.

parabellum
9th Nov 2018, 21:21
At 16 I would have thought he would settle down nicely in the cargo hold? I have moved both dogs and cats around, fingers crossed, so far no problems. I believe KLM let you take a small dog in the cabin, not sure about long haul though, that may get you as far as Malaysia, then Malaysian airlines takes over the route to Australia, don't know their policy on pet travel. Company here in Oz called Jetpets, may be worth talking to them, or their UK equivalent.

rjtjrt
9th Nov 2018, 21:54
I would agree with suggestion to contact Jetpets here in Australia.
I have never used Jetpets, but they are used by dog rescue services here and are well regarded.
Good luck. Senior dogs are generally such beautiful souls.
One really long shot maybe a cargo airline crew taking your dog in cabin with them. I would be surprised if this were practical but maybe.
Or possibly instead of your planned cruise, you take a passenger carrying cargo ship with your dog?

The Green Goblin
9th Nov 2018, 23:35
Johnny Depp May have a few tips for you? :P

lc_461
10th Nov 2018, 00:08
Not sure of the size of your dog, but I believe Korean Air allow small dogs in the cabin. It might be worth investigating...

The Bullwinkle
10th Nov 2018, 00:30
Korean Air allow small dogs in the cabin.
Is that as in-flight catering?

NOSIGN
10th Nov 2018, 01:03
MrSnowy, unlikely but on the off-chance, how big is Snowy and where is he based?

pjac
10th Nov 2018, 01:14
In 1994-when the quarantine laws were changing, here in Australia-I was faced with moving my two Ridgebacks back home after a 6 year stint in Hong Kong. Though the laws had changed -I had written to the then Minister for Agriculture for assistance (Simon Crean) and he could not be bothered to attempt any reply. To this end, I had to send my two (desexed female Ridgebacks to the U.K. for 8 months-they were both 11 years old, at the time. When they had completed their stay in kennels at Horsham, they were put on a British Airways flight to Sydney which landed on a Saturday morning and spent the three days in a crate, in the Cargo Terminus before being sent to Eastern Creek Quarantine station where they spent a further 3months and then they were released to me, to bring them home to Queensland. For me, it was heartbreaking-but they both lived for a further 5 years. For any animal (despite what some people think)-LIFE is the key to their desire-every hour/day is precious. To a domesticated pet, life with the family they have adopted, becomes part of that and my two (and I) had five more years of the pleasure of their company. If there is no other answer-give it a go/pjac

harrryw
10th Nov 2018, 05:14
have you checked this
https://www.petairuk.com/taking-pets-to-australia/dogs-australia
1. Confirm eligibility before starting the process - Dogs must not be under quarantine restrictions or be more than 30 days pregnant or suckling young at the time of export. Some dog breeds, including pit bull terriers, are banned from Australia – check up on this.
2. Make sure your dog is microchipped
3. Check rabies vaccination - Your dog will need to have a valid rabies vaccination (when it was at least 90 days old).
4. Rabies Neutralising Antibody Titre (RNAT) test – This must be done between 180 days and 24 months before the export. Following the rabies vaccination, a vet must scan your dog’s microchip and collect a blood sample for the RNAT test. Your dog must have a valid RNAT test at the time of export.
5. An Official Government Vet must complete the rabies vaccination and RNAT test declaration – Must be done before applying for the import permit. The vets at PetAir UK can do this for you if you choose for us to get your dog’s import permit
6. Apply for an import permit – This should be done after you’ve received the declaration, and at least 42 days before the time of export. You can apply for the import permit on the http://www.agriculture.gov.au (http://www.agriculture.gov.au/) website.

tail wheel
10th Nov 2018, 22:21
https://www.petex-srp.com.au/international-transport/