PDA

View Full Version : Age Discrimination

Thomas coupling
9th Nov 2018, 15:42
Does this mean I can be an old disabled woman when I'm travelling on public transport to baggsie the best seats and at a 30% discount?
Or go on Tinder as a young male student?.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/pensioner-who-identifies-as-49-wants-age-legally-changed-to-improve-chances-on-tinder-a3984086.html

G-CPTN
9th Nov 2018, 15:57
Can't he just 'lie'?

Pontius Navigator
9th Nov 2018, 17:22
Can't he just 'lie'?
Like everyone else, but fraud which ever way you look at it.

Once he is 49 he can get life insurance at a discount.

flash8
9th Nov 2018, 17:39
Actually he raises an extremely good point in a wider context.

Perhaps it should be made illegal to state your age unless absolutely necessary and instead simply use a social security number in its place, this means only the government (and Health facilities) would truly know your age. It could revolutionise a lot of discrimination and also make people think differently about their lives. Would take decades to permeate fully, but once it did probably would be something that people would then wonder about the "old days" when age was used as some sort of marker, it would require a paradigm shift in thought.

On my CV though no age, however all they have to do is look back to the first job/University and make an educated guess. I still think he makes a valid observation.

Tankertrashnav
9th Nov 2018, 18:25
I think there is some serious self delusion going on if that bloke thinks he looks 49! I might give him 60, but no younger.

Pontius Navigator
9th Nov 2018, 22:20
Flash, the idea that only a Government Agenc y will decode is easily debunked as someone demonstrated with a decode of driving licences. Similarly your NI number can be decoded.
​​​

tdracer
9th Nov 2018, 22:38
Well, if you can legally change your gender, why shouldn't you legally be able to change your age? They are both dependent on your birth...:*

WingNut60
9th Nov 2018, 22:46
Every trait or characteristic that you have is dependent on your birth.
No birth? No characteristic!

Thomas coupling
9th Nov 2018, 23:53
So you can ignore the rules for age limits for flying single pilot or twin pilot commercial flying and continue to reduce your age below these limits and fly forever, even though you are ageing physiologically.
Hi I want my license renewed please. I was 93 but I have been told by my doc that I have the physique of a 50 year old and so I am 50.

Great lets all vote for it?

tdracer
10th Nov 2018, 04:54
Well, if someone born male can have it legally changed to female, then compete against other females in all-female sporting events (yes, it's happened), it seems only fair that someone can legally change their age to avoid the limitations of their age. I can see it now, some 25 year old gets his age changed to 15 and dominates prep school athletic events.

(Yes, I'm being sarcastic - I think legally changing sex and age is similarly daft.)

charliegolf
10th Nov 2018, 11:29
I believe that many convicted criminals self-identify as innocent. :E

CG

sitigeltfel
10th Nov 2018, 11:49
Well, if you can legally change your gender, why shouldn't you legally be able to change your age? They are both dependent on your birth...:*

And why not if 35yo immigrants can claim to be fifteen to get access to young schoolgirls?

Mr Optimistic
10th Nov 2018, 15:33
I presume he is just taking the p*ss. Using the law to change a lie into a truth? Perhaps he should declare himself disabled at the same time so he can access benefits.

VP959
10th Nov 2018, 15:45
Flash, the idea that only a Government Agenc y will decode is easily debunked as someone demonstrated with a decode of driving licences. Similarly your NI number can be decoded.
​​​

This is the decode to derive date of birth, all or part of your surname and up to two initials, from your driving licence number (taken from this link: http://ukdriving.org.uk/licencenumber.html):

Digit 15: The first five characters of the surname (extra 9's added for names shorter than 5 letters)
Digit 6: The decade digit from the year of birth (e.g. for 1977 it would be 7)
Digit 78: The month of birth (+5 for the first character if female)
Digit 910: The day in the month of birth
Digit 11: The year digit from the year of birth (e.g. for 1977 it would be 7)
Digit 1213: The first two initials of the first names, (9 if no middle name)
Digit 14: Arbitrary digit - often 9
Digit 1516: Two computer digit

Not sure about being able to work out age from an NI number, although I think you may be able to derive year of birth from the first two letters for some NI numbers, from a quick search of the web.

Thomas coupling
10th Nov 2018, 17:29
His birth certificate date can't be changed whatever the outcome - otherwise the repurcussions would be mind boggling.
[I believe the same goes for transgenders - their birth certificate MUST show their sex at birth].

My niggle is that the hearing will be in a dutch court and we all know how airy fairy they are.

I mean - howe would your CV look :ugh:

Tankertrashnav
10th Nov 2018, 18:06
My niggle is that the hearing will be in a dutch court and we all know how airy fairy they are.

Not any more. The image of laid back cloggies, with long haired police smoking dope in their patrol car is a thing of the past. The realities of living in a society where East European criminal gangs are an easy drive across NW Europe has hardened their attitudes and things are a lot tougher now. No 1 son is in the process of applying for Dutch nationality (he has settled there) and it is by no means a formality, with lots of hoops to jump through, quite rightly. I'm guessing their courts would take a similar tough line with this old codger trying things on.

racedo
10th Nov 2018, 22:50
And why not if 35yo immigrants can claim to be fifteen to get access to young schoolgirls?

Why can't they just became Taxi drivers in Rotherham, Telford, Oxford or loads of other places like others have done.

(Bad taste ?)

racedo
10th Nov 2018, 22:54
Not any more. The image of laid back cloggies, with long haired police smoking dope in their patrol car is a thing of the past. The realities of living in a society where East European criminal gangs are an easy drive across NW Europe has hardened their attitudes and things are a lot tougher now. No 1 son is in the process of applying for Dutch nationality (he has settled there) and it is by no means a formality, with lots of hoops to jump through, quite rightly. I'm guessing their courts would take a similar tough line with this old codger trying things on.

Think it may have more to do with this than going onto dating sites......
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6372385/Dutch-euthanasia-doctor-accused-drugging-elderly-woman-injecting-Hague.html

WingNut60
10th Nov 2018, 23:13
His birth certificate date can't be changed whatever the outcome - otherwise the repurcussions would be mind boggling.
[I believe the same goes for transgenders - their birth certificate MUST show their sex at birth].

I mean - howe would your CV look :ugh:

About ten years ago, my wife (Indonesian), having traveled internationally extensively on a series of passports which had been issued originally with an incorrect DOB, decided to address the problem.
There is an obvious downside to having mis-matching DOB on your passport and birth certificate.

The answer, which was a mere formality in Indonesia, was to have her birth certificate changed.
Small fee, all fixed.

Her current passport and birth certificate birthday is tomorrow, We'll celebrate. modestly, on Thursday - her real birthday.

radeng
11th Nov 2018, 15:27
Nothing new......

D. L. Smith told the tale of an old driver called Will Ross on the Glasgow and South Western Railway at Ayr who was given one of the first eyesight tests, probably in the 1890s.. The driver in front of him gave his age correctly as 39. Then the clerk asked now "Will Ross, what age are you?" "I think" said Old Willie "I'll be much aboot the same!".

He had to have been over 70 then!