PDA

View Full Version : The Guardian Letters Page

BAengineer
9th Nov 2018, 13:48
The letters to the Guardian are always fun but this one really stood out.In September, AAT published a short report highlighting 27bn of annual savings that could be made without raising taxes or increasing borrowing – by scrapping car tax and fuel duty and replacing it with a pay-as-you-drive system, by simplifying inheritance tax, and removing higher rate tax relief for pension contributions, to name just three of our proposals. Such changes might require politicians to tell some uncomfortable truths but, given that the outcome would be a simpler, fairer alternative to raising revenue, they are truths the electorate would be more likely to accept.
Phil Hall Head of public affairs and public policy, Association of Accounting Technicians

So we have an Accountant suggesting that removing tax relief and therefore increasing the amount paid in tax is not 'raising taxes'. I'm glad he isnt doing my bookeeping..:uhoh:

horatio_b
9th Nov 2018, 15:27
If you look up Phil Hall's profile you will see him described as " A communications and policy professional with fifteen years experience in developing and implementing effective public affairs, marketing and media relations strategies in the public, not-for-profit and private sectors". He appears to be someone with no accounting qualifications but clearly well qualified to write puff pieces for the media.
(N.B. Accounting technicians are not accountants, more like accounts clerks)

racedo
9th Nov 2018, 15:54
If you look up Phil Hall's profile you will see him described as " A communications and policy professional with fifteen years experience in developing and implementing effective public affairs, marketing and media relations strategies in the public, not-for-profit and private sectors". He appears to be someone with no accounting qualifications but clearly well qualified to write puff pieces for the media.
(N.B. Accounting technicians are not accountants, more like accounts clerks)

He is a Public Relations or Advocacy person required to be the focal point of contact from the organisation in dealing with Public, Press, Government and other stakeholders.

The work published was done within his organisation and he published this as a talking point in advance of the Chancellor's budget, just like Military, NHS, Business, Lawyers and everybody else does.

Thrashing his name because he is doing his job i.e. represnting his employer as laid down in his Job Description is a 5hit thing to do.

As for AAT being just Accounts Clerk..................... nope they are not,no qualification is required to be an accounts clerk, accounting technicians are requried to study and pass exams.

Ancient Observer
9th Nov 2018, 16:20
One of the things about the Grauniad is that no one who has any political power reads it.

For the Trots and Pinkoes than run the BBC and the Labour party the Grauniad is too right wing. Even the left wing Grauniad writers are property millionaires in Primrose Hill.
For the Tories it doesn't even serve as wrapping for fish and chips because all the ink comes off.

Flypro
9th Nov 2018, 16:32
Ancient looker,

So who does read this drivel ?

treadigraph
9th Nov 2018, 16:40
Ancient looker,

So who does read this drivel ?
Krystal n chips and my sister.

Ancient Observer
9th Nov 2018, 16:44
Mainly teachers and social workers.

Ancient Observer
9th Nov 2018, 16:45
And employees of the "Poverty" industry.

Since the decline of UK manufacturing, other industries have arisen to take their place. The Poverty industry is huge. Lots of jobs depend on keeping other people poor.

Flypro
9th Nov 2018, 16:50
I bet the climate warming brigade are in there somewhere!

sitigeltfel
9th Nov 2018, 16:53
And employees of the "Poverty" industry.

Since the decline of UK manufacturing, other industries have arisen to take their place. The Poverty industry is huge. Lots of jobs depend on keeping other people poor.

Those "third sector" executives on 250,000+ are the ideal people to lecture others on poverty.

Krystal n chips
9th Nov 2018, 17:25
Krystal n chips and my sister.

Well first, may I congratulate your sister on her choice of reading....clearly an erudite lady.

Second, the bit about "drivel ".

Now, there seems to be some confusion here as to what the term actually means along with the wholly erroneous contaxt in wot it as bin ywsed. There are several publications available, and many JB contributors epitomise the editorial content of such rags with their flaws and fallacies, but, thankfully, us Guardian readers does not.

As I've said before, I always knew I had made the right choice many years ago, when, during the annual farce known as assessments in the RAF, the incompetent and vindictive two ringed Eng Branch moron commented, that, "I understand you read the Guardian ?".....after an appropriate pause, I recall saying "that's correct.......even longer pause and afterthought with appropriate sarcastic inflection............sir ". Quite what the relevance to me reading the Guardian had to do with my ability as an engineer I've never really understood. But, as it clearly upset RAF "management " then I felt very happy with this utterance.

Here's a nice little demographic analysis for you then...chaps.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/media/explore/newspaper/The_Guardian

BAengineer
9th Nov 2018, 17:28
The Guardian is described by fans as: Intelligent, Interesting, Informative, Well written and Great for politics.

So great in fact they don't buy it and it has been losing money for decades..:p

tremblerman
9th Nov 2018, 19:22
I was referred to as a "radical" for reading the Guardian, quite a compliment I thought.

Gertrude the Wombat
9th Nov 2018, 21:07
So great in fact they don't buy it and it has been losing money for decades..:p
They certainly don't get any money from me - I'm not contributing to a #brexit-supporting newspaper.

treadigraph
9th Nov 2018, 21:41
Well first, may I congratulate your sister on her choice of reading....clearly an erudite lady.
Nope. My sister and erudite do not a good a martini make...

DaveReidUK
9th Nov 2018, 22:11
They certainly don't get any money from me - I'm not contributing to a #brexit-supporting newspaper.

If that's true, they've managed to keep it very quiet.

Gertrude the Wombat
9th Nov 2018, 22:17
If that's true, they've managed to keep it very quiet.
Eh??? - it was hardly a secret that during the last general election they were recommending that their readers go out and vote for a party whose support for #brexit was right up front in their manifesto.

You can't, as a newspaper, get much more "#brexit supporting" than that.

ExSp33db1rd
10th Nov 2018, 03:15
I recall saying "that's correct.......even longer pause and afterthought with appropriate sarcastic inflection............sir ".

At my pre-RAF interview I was asked if I read The Telegraph ? I replied in the affirmative. I lied. My parents took the Daily Herald, and I didn't waste any of my one quid a week apprentice wage on newspapers.