PDA

View Full Version : autopilot was set to crash

favete linguis
8th Nov 2018, 09:05
Flybe plane plunged 500ft in 18 seconds when autopilot was set to crash

https://news.google.com/articles/CBMiUWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmNvcm53YWxsbGl2ZS5jb20vbmV3cy9sb2NhbC1u ZXdzL2ZseWJlLXBsYW5lLXBsdW5nZWQtNTAwZnQtMTgtMjE5NTI5OdIBAA?h l=en-GB&gl=GB&ceid=GB%3Aen

Thats new to me, I never found that setting on the autopilot. Is it hidden near the FO eject button?

BehindBlueEyes
8th Nov 2018, 10:06
:}:}:}

Isn’t there an auto destruct button too on an aircraft? I’ve seen it used on loads of sci if films.

https://youtu.be/EO9x0y5lqD0

Simplythebeast
8th Nov 2018, 10:20
“A Flybe flight plummeted 500ft in 18 seconds after an incorrect autopilot setting caused it to aim for the ground”
gotta love the Media, in this case STV.

cattletruck
8th Nov 2018, 10:35
Well y'know, as has already been demonstrated with an Otto autopilot system, it only takes a little time to locate the emergency valve and energise it - about 18 seconds in all. After that it's smiles all around.

Bob Viking
8th Nov 2018, 10:44
Having read the AAIB summary I donít think the headline is that sensationalist at all really. I disagree with the use of the word plummeted but other than that Iíd say itís a fair cop.

I find it a bit worrying really having read the summary how they managed to not spot it sooner.

BV

Hempy
8th Nov 2018, 11:49
Having read the AAIB summary I don’t think the headline is that sensationalist at all really. I disagree with the use of the word plummeted but other than that I’d say it’s a fair cop.

I find it a bit worrying really having read the summary how they managed to not spot it sooner.

BV

Agree, 1,666 f/min descent rate is hardly ‘plummeting’. Also agree that it’s a bit disturbing that it took them 18 seconds to realise that the nose (apart from everything else) was pointing in the wrong direction and to do something about it :eek:

ShotOne
8th Nov 2018, 14:25
No use blaming the coverage. In our industry we do a poor job of explaining what we do. in fact the article seems to give a reasonably clear account of the event.

Flypro
8th Nov 2018, 15:04
500ft in 18 seconds hardly qualifies as a PLUMMET !!!!

I'm reminded of wonderful Monty Python sketch where a farmer was interviewed regarding his trees that were full of sheep.

"Can those sheep fly?" asked the interviewer. "They don't so much fly as plummet", was the reply :)

VP959
8th Nov 2018, 15:53
I wonder if BBC journos read PPRuNe?

They reported this story earlier on their news website and used the word "plummeted". An hour or two later they edited it and changed the headline to "drops"...

DaveReidUK
8th Nov 2018, 18:16
Agree, 1,666 f/min descent rate is hardly Ďplummetingí.

How about 4300 fpm descent rate when 1100 ft above ground level ?

Gertrude the Wombat
8th Nov 2018, 18:30
Seriously though, an aircraft at my local flying club had its autopilot accidentally switched on and set to hold an altitude of zero. For the solo PPL student who had no idea what was going on this was a rather difficult circuit to fly.

Bob Viking
8th Nov 2018, 18:49
​​​​​Iím willing to bet the solo student didnít have over 14,000 flying hours.

BV

oxenos
8th Nov 2018, 19:57
​​​​​Iím willing to bet the solo student didnít have over 14,000 flying hours.

Some people have twenty or more goes at passing the driving test - who is to say how long they take to go solo?

G-CPTN
8th Nov 2018, 20:23
I wonder if BBC journos read PPRuNe?
They jolly well should - if only to get an understanding of the mechanics of flight.

VP959
8th Nov 2018, 21:32
It took my wife 17 attempts to pass her driving test. She's not a bad driver, but just completely falls apart with extreme anxiety when put under the stress of being examined. She finally passed her test at the age of 27, not long after we first met. Two weeks after passing her test she drove her mother's old car (which had been given to her) from West Sussex down to Cornwall, with no difficulty at all.

Thomas coupling
8th Nov 2018, 21:38
VP959 - thank you for that exciting news....................................

Mr Optimistic
8th Nov 2018, 21:39
Pity she wanted to go to Glasgow.

Thomas coupling
8th Nov 2018, 21:51
:D:D:ok:...............

DaveReidUK
8th Nov 2018, 21:55
20 or more efforts proving that they canít drive before showing on one occasion that they can - what a system!

Passing the test has very little to do with being able to drive well.

VP959
8th Nov 2018, 21:59

Spot on, and precisely the point I was trying to make (and being ridiculed for doing so...).

Shack37
8th Nov 2018, 22:08
What has a driving test got to do with a pilot f*** up?

G-CPTN
8th Nov 2018, 22:09
The wife of a colleague (who lived just south of St Albans) passed her test and set off to visit her sister in Cambridge.
She got onto the M1 (which runs close to St Albans) but didn't see any signs to Cambridge, so she continued until she reached Leicester.
She was so used to her husband driving and using the M1 as an initial route to wherever they were going.
At least she had set off in the right general direction . . .

Thomas coupling
8th Nov 2018, 23:48
FFS stick to the damn OP.

farci
9th Nov 2018, 16:35
calm down dear!
Good example of whataboutery where posters with, presumably, handlebar pilot moustaches try to deflect from the possibility of an ERROR.

BTW, BGG if you joined this forum in 2009, assuming you could read/write then that makes you about 14 now??