PDA

View Full Version : Brexit and boats

Gertrude the Wombat
7th Nov 2018, 21:27
Mrs GtW may be in the USA at the end of March, and wanting to come home a day or three into April., so obviously needs a Plan B in case the planes stop flying. (The timing of the visit is dictated by when someone has chosen to hold a conference, or something like that.)

She'll be able to fly into Ireland OK with her Irish passport, even if she has to wait a few days for a seat, and she'll be able to walk across the border into Northern Ireland, even if she has to queue for a few hours to show her Irish passport on the way out of Ireland and her UK one on the way into the UK.

But what about getting a boat to the mainland? - I don't think I've heard what the implications would be for internal ferries. Would I be right in guessing that all the licensing of boats, crew, ports, etc is done by UK authorities, unlike with aeroplanes and pilots and airports and EASA, so there will be no problem (again, apart maybe from waiting a few days for a seat) in getting from NI to the mainland by boat?

(Plan C, which she currently seems to be thinking is more attractive, is not to try to get back to the UK at all, but to fly up to Canada and stay with relatives until our airports are open again.)

cdtaylor_nats
7th Nov 2018, 21:35
Why would planes stop flying US to UK?

Gertrude the Wombat
7th Nov 2018, 21:55
Licences for our airports and ATC evaporate even if they're US aircraft and US pilots. I was really hoping someone would know something about the boats, I wasn't trying to provoke "it'll never happen" reactions about the aeroplanes.

tescoapp
7th Nov 2018, 22:03
zero issue with internal flights with UK licensed crew and aircraft. And to be honest if the UK CAA says its fine then there is no worries about Eu crew and aircraft either its just a 2 second approval signature.

zero issue with ferries either.

Thankfully they didn't get round to screwing with Maritime.

She doesn't need an irish passport either because Ireland isn't part of the Schengen agreement and hasn't given notice about coming out of the common travel agreement between the UK and Ireland.

they don't evaporate :D they only continue to be valid in the UK and have no rights in EU airports or registered airports. Nothing changes in the UK. Airport pairs for flights might be effected. BUt there will be zero issue flying between Blefast and any airport on the UK mainland in a G reg aircraft.

Gertrude the Wombat
7th Nov 2018, 22:18
BUt there will be zero issue flying between Blefast and any airport on the UK mainland in a G reg aircraft.
Will there be any left? - thought they were all being flagged out.

ShotOne
7th Nov 2018, 22:30
“Licenses for our ATC and aircraft evaporate...” Really?

tescoapp
7th Nov 2018, 22:33
Flybe's financial issues are a completely different subject.

But as such they don't do A to B to C internal EU flights only A- B- A flights.

UK internal flights there really is zero impact on. In fact they might be able to operate them on time because due to no slots due decreased traffic and spare aircraft because they only have the UK flights to cover and loads of extra crew until its all sorted out.

So the idea that all UK aircraft and pilots and engineers will be flagged out to EU countries is just pure project fear and nothing will fly in the UK on the 29th until the Eu says it can is just pure fantasy.

PDR1
7th Nov 2018, 22:35
She could fly to Paris or Brussels and then get to the UK by train.

PDR

tescoapp
7th Nov 2018, 22:38
that's actually more problematic because of Schengen and the status of the Chunnel.

IE your in the common travel area so as soon as she clears passport in Ireland that's it unless the EU shuts the border in a pissy fit because its bluffing has failed yet again

wiggy
8th Nov 2018, 07:54

One theory goes that because ATM carriers operate between the U.K. and the USA by virtue of the E.U. -U.S.A Open Skies agreement there could be problems post B day for some carriers until a replacement U.K. - U.S.A bilateral deal has been agreed.

That theory can either be filed under ďproject fearĒ or ďproject the government hasnít got a scooby-doĒ....

Bob Viking
8th Nov 2018, 08:29
I realise I am an eternal optimist but I believe the whole thing will play out like the Millenium Bug scenario. ie, lots of panic and threats and then life will carry on as normal.

BV

Nemrytter
8th Nov 2018, 08:46
Bob, you should talk to computer experts about that - in particular about the amount of effort they put in to make sure that nothing much went wrong. We should be thanking them for making the problem seem minuscule rather than accusing them of threats.
Same is true for Brexit, lots of civil servants in both the UK and EU working very hard to agree some kind of workable strategy for this silliness, they should be thanked too.

Bob Viking
8th Nov 2018, 10:32
So, what youíre saying is that the average (wo)man on the street (ie you and I) doesnít need to worry about it because someone else will sort the issue. Problem solved.

My wife regularly asks me how I manage to fall asleep so quickly at night. I tell her, every time, that I donít worry about things that havenít happened yet.

Maybe itís a function of my training or maybe itís just my personality type but I honestly donít lose a wink of sleep over things that might happen.

This for me falls into that category. In fact, Brexit as a whole, falls into that category for me.

It might be the biggest mistake Britain ever made. It might turn out to be a blessing. We wonít know until it happens so I honesty couldnít care less until at least April 2019.

BV

evansb
8th Nov 2018, 17:59
Yup, and when the calendar changed to the year 2000, global havoc erupted and the world was put in chaos from which it has never recovered.