PDA

View Full Version : Red Arrows....John Haddock

Jet9
7th Nov 2018, 19:28
Hi. I am currently researching a former pilot of the Red Arrows. His name is John Haddock and I would like to know more about him such as information about his career and what he was like as a person. I know the date and circumstances of his death and that he had completed one year of service with the Reds in 1970. If anyone has any information about him that would be great. ☺

Wander00
8th Nov 2018, 08:36
Perhaps you might divulge the reason for your research, then you might get more helpful responses

dook
8th Nov 2018, 09:06
20 Jan 1971.

Two Gnat T.1 of the CFS "Red Arrows" aerobatic display team (XR545 and XR986) collided and crashed during a synchronised pair display practice at Kemble, Gloucestershire. Mid-Air Collision between synchro pair. Wings clipped during an opposition manoeuvre `Roulette'

All four crew (two in each aircraft) were killed. Crew of XR545 (call sign "Red 7") were reported as being Flight Lieutenant John Haddock and Flight Lieutenant Colin Armstrong

Jet9
8th Nov 2018, 18:51
Thanks dook. And thanks for not being snooty about it. I'm just interested for my own curiosity. I have researched several airmen in the past..famous and unknown. There is no ulterior motive.

Wander00
9th Nov 2018, 08:35
Not snooty at all, just some looking for "information" not always innocent enquiries. Also, more info would help get the answers you are looking for. John Haddock was an A Sqn under officer at the Towers, when I was a bit further down the food chain

Jet, PM'd along these lines but your message box is full

dook
9th Nov 2018, 14:34
Jet9 has two posts and a full message box :confused:

Jet9
9th Nov 2018, 14:48
I don't get it either. Just trying to figure out why.

Brian 48nav
9th Nov 2018, 16:03
Wander00

I have a feeling that you can't PM or be PM'ed until you've made more posts.

Jet9
9th Nov 2018, 20:18
Does anybody remember Flt John Haddock?. I'm doing a little bit of research on him, just for my own curiosity. Just interested in what aircraft he flew, if he did any operational tours and what he was like personally. I visited his grave a few weeks ago along with Perreaux, Lewis and Armstrong, his red arrows colleagues who are all buried at Little Rissington churchyard.

JuneField
17th Oct 2023, 21:56
Hi. I am currently researching a former pilot of the Red Arrows. His name is John Haddock and I would like to know more about him such as information about his career and what he was like as a person. I know the date and circumstances of his death and that he had completed one year of service with the Reds in 1970. If anyone has any information about him that would be great. ☺ Hello
I am related to Mr John Haddock (late) - why are you researching him please? Is it for a book or to publish please? Do you know any of the others who were in the same tragedy as I'd like to find out also.

longer ron
18th Oct 2023, 07:29
Hello
I am related to Mr John Haddock (late) - why are you researching him please? Is it for a book or to publish please? Do you know any of the others who were in the same tragedy as I'd like to find out also.

Hi June - 'Jet9' has not logged into the forum for almost exactly 4 years so I doubt you will get any reply from him,he did say at the time that his research was for personal reasons only though - so doubtful he was thinking of publishing any details.

Kind Regards LR

teeteringhead
18th Oct 2023, 10:01
John Haddock was a QFI at Syerston (JPs) when I went through training there - 1968-69. He was a bachelor who enjoyed the single life! Don't know his previous history.

I did fly with one of the pilots who was killed in the other Gnat. He was Flt Lt John(?) Lewis - who had just come from an exchange FAA tour on Sea Vixens. He taught me a lot about the "philosophy" of flying......

DogTailRed2
19th Oct 2023, 20:56
Was the crash during a manoeuvre called "The twizzle" ? iirc some wreckage from one of the aircraft is in a UK museum.

treadigraph
20th Oct 2023, 08:37
iirc some wreckage from one of the aircraft is in a UK museum.
Never heard of that, tho I believe some MB339 wreckage from the Ramstein collision is on display in an Italian museum which I find odd.

kenparry
20th Oct 2023, 11:39
Not sue what "twizzle" is, but the midair was when they were doing an opposition turn and they met heading in opposite directions. My recollection is that the manoeuvre was modified after to include height separation - which had not been done previously.

wub
20th Oct 2023, 16:12
The ‘twizzle’ was a rapid roll flown by all of the team in straight and level flight. See it at 7:30 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujGZCh3Ryu8

bonajet
21st Oct 2023, 01:48
Not sue what "twizzle" is, but the midair was when they were doing an opposition turn and they met heading in opposite directions. My recollection is that the manoeuvre was modified after to include height separation - which had not been done previously.

It was the Carousel, which had the inner aircraft slightly higher than the outer one to align the fuselages when viewed from datum. That height separation was a few feet, dependent on the miss distance horizontally and the height above the ground at the cross. Pretty certain the Gnat and Hawk were the same for this manoeuvre.

bean
21st Oct 2023, 01:59
The ‘twizzle’ was a rapid roll flown by all of the team in straight and level flight. See it at 7:30 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujGZCh3Ryu8
You mean twinkle not twizzle?

pulse1
21st Oct 2023, 11:25
According to Lee Jones, the first leader of the Red Arrows, they had to carry out an illegal adjustment to the control system in order to achieve the Twinkle roll.

Mogwi
21st Oct 2023, 13:08
According to Lee Jones, the first leader of the Red Arrows, they had to carry out an illegal adjustment to the control system in order to achieve the Twinkle roll.

I believe that it was to remove the high-speed aileron stops.

Mog

exMudmover
21st Oct 2023, 13:09
Pulse1

The "illegal modification" to the controls just meant that the Red Arrows Gnats (as opposed to the ones at 4FTS Valley), had the aileron limit stops taken out. With the stops in the roll rate was about 250deg per sec; with them out it was about 400. A pretty snappy roll rate. Of course, you could enhance the roll rate of the 4FTS Gnats by using a bit of rudder with aileron, but - sensibly - this was strongly advised against in the aircrew manual because of the risk of roll divergence.

This was demonstrated graphically when a 4FTS Gnat instructor spread himself and his aircraft all over Gaydon airfield after initiating a "twinkle" roll with added rudder at high speed. The aircraft diverged, went flat plate and disintegrated.

Ex MM

kenparry
21st Oct 2023, 13:10
Mog - correct

mikemmb
21st Oct 2023, 14:30
…….Fuse 13

BEagle
21st Oct 2023, 15:29
More info. here: https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/72761-gnat-roll-rate-fuse-3.html