PDA

View Full Version : EK Pilot Forum Update 7Nov2018

aeropix
7th Nov 2018, 15:31
Any update on the Pilot Forum? So many of us could not attend and hope somebody can lend their experiences of the event.

Did they lock lock the doors and pressure everybody to “not disclose any information” like the last one? Even an answer to that question would be helpful.

Looking forward to a little discussion. Thanks in advance to any attendee willing to post a summary.

nolimitholdem
7th Nov 2018, 17:27
Unfortunately, those who attended don't have VPN's, so cannot post anything about it. :oh:

Monarch Man
8th Nov 2018, 03:58
I’m going to take a wild stab and suggest the following sentiments were expressed.

1. Don’t worry, it’s going to get better soon.
2. We are getting plenty of new joiners, and no one is leaving.
3. You will get all your leave..we promise, well most of your leave.
4. We have a new rostering tool that will ensure through scientific methods (sold to us by the DSVP of nepotisms’ cousin) that you will notice no difference to your chronic levels of fatigue with no end in sight.
5. We have purchased a large mirror to allow us to look into it, particularly with reference to pay, days off and leave.

All speculation on my part BTW.

donpizmeov
8th Nov 2018, 05:48
Like it .like it a lot.

donpizmeov
8th Nov 2018, 19:58
I am not sure if it's reluctance or not giving a sh@t. TCT has completed his transformation, and all is as it was before . In ATC we trust :ugh:

Emma Royds
10th Nov 2018, 12:01
the info is out there but people seem reluctant to talk about it!

I think it's more a feeling of apathy rather than reluctance. Fleet forum after fleet forum and one weekly edition of the 'Life of Brian' to the next and there is simply no light at the end of the tunnel, nor is it looking like it will change either.

What is comical is that the company could save money if they embraced more flexible roster patterns, which in turn could lead to less of a burden on accommodation needed in Dubai and all the costs that go with that, plus more work/lifestyle roster choices could possibly improve recruitment and retention.

With salaries in the UAE being so pitifully low for most that live and work here (Recent Gulf News article: 8% earn more than 5000 AED/month), the upper echelons have an unshakable complex about seeing us spending more time out of Dubai and spending out of Dubai as well.

It's not uncommon for me to spend more out of the UAE in a month than I do in the country, which makes such a viewpoint, simply a pure charade.

aeropix
12th Nov 2018, 01:18
So, after all, can anybody say what happened at the forum? So far there's no reply. I was on a trip and could not attend, would be interesting to hear what was discussed.

GMC1500
12th Nov 2018, 09:38
They said blah,blah,blah,and somebody asked blah,blah, blah....etc

GMC1500
12th Nov 2018, 09:38
how is it any different than a management wind up? sorry, wash up?

cost neutral
12th Nov 2018, 09:51
How can you tell that the talking heads are lying ?
Their mouths are open and sounds are coming out !

Pif Paf
14th Nov 2018, 05:41
Ok here it is from what I've heard.

Not 180-200 people there as per weekly update, only about 40-50 pilots, at least 20 management / fleet superintendents etc

Good things that have happened since last forum:
- Age 30 for upgrade
- Pay increment / step!
- Rostering - change of ULR- non-ULR time in Dubai to 72 hours
- Day off cap removed
Recruitment – was concerning, only keeping up with attrition. Now getting average 50/month!! Aug 82, Sept 80. Will take up to 6 months to see this improvement on line. Didn't specify if numbers were people passing interview or people accepting the offer or people actually turning up on day 1
Attrition – still 5-6% but said 4/5 had rejoined.
Fuel - cost up 30-40% over expectations, so fuel is the big topic now!
- soon will get fuel comparison chart so all Capt can see how their uplift compares to others.
TCT
No reverse rostering – due problems with sickness at home and covering it.
Part time – Freighter only at the moment, still looking at extending it but EK prefers having pilots in Dubai.
Meydan South – will not force people to move there, empty villas will be filled with new joiners
Training
Going well, Upgrade Boeing approx 5 years, success rate 98%, A380 approx 4.8 years success 83%. New joiners 99.3% pass rate.
Pay
Pay review – start reviewing data Nov for 3 months, March send details to Upper management.
Prov Fund – rumour about EK trying to move prov fund to Dubai wrong. EK can’t do it, its overseen in Isle of Man
Car Loans – removed 2016, no plans to bring back – from old days when banking was poor and hard to get loans, now no problem so EK sees no need to give interest free loans!
Rostering bloke
RSV month – looking at staggering starts through out month to allow for leave ie not writing off one month.
Trying to stop PPC immediately after leave.
TCT
- DEC A380 only to very experienced Capts, if from narrow body - 700 hours RHS to learn aircraft / 2 PPC
- Short of SIm capacity, not many A380 sims out there.
- Pulsar fatigue monitoring system using sleep scientist to look at our rosters! Therefore it must be better for us!
- 77X – trying to work out how to mix it into current 777 fleet. Will do route testing with Ek pilots to some not so nice destinations to see how it works.
- 2019 lose 13 777 tails, drop in numbers before 77X arrives
- IPADS decision made by end of November, connects with new 77X system.
- Runway closes May for 6 weeks over easter, trying to work out whether to park aircraft or use DWC but logistics hard, still working on it. May get increased leave availability then

Questions
- No plans for Mosque in meydan south but will get prayer room!
- Seniority in bidding - even though EK short of experienced Captains, was pointed out nothing being done to stop guys leaving, also not rewarding loyalty for senior pilots by giving seniority in preference bids. TCT says he doesn’t want to work new guys hard, want everyone to have same fair roster – in short doesn’t believe in seniority!
- Part time – stated Ek not a commuting airline and never will be, however it was pointed out that this was a decision made years ago, times change and EK should move with the time to keep experience here on all fleets.
- Freighter guy – want requests as they only get preference bids
- A380 guy happy with change in upgrade age but when will courses start as being moved back and cancelled in December. Was told by TCTs boss cancelled A380 upgrade in December to release trainers to fly the line as roster could not be made reasonable, it could be done without them legally but it would have been even harder than normal, so trainers will ease pressure.
- Open time – can it be brought back. Why if you can see a flight is not crewed, you had bid for it but were not given it and it is the same hours. why could you not be put on it. Will look into open time coming back.
- Rostering seniority – why can’t you be given 1 extra request every month after 10 years, 2 every month after 15 years etc. Will look in to it.
- Why getting so many flights after leave to cram in hours – Brian – its legal, “ I don’t see a problem”
- Why can’t FO after 10 years be able to buy Firm First class SRC – hard to move existing boundaries, but if paying for it maybe!

aeropix
14th Nov 2018, 14:14
Ok here it is from what I've heard.

Not 180-200 people there as per weekly update, only about 40-50 pilots, at least 20 management / fleet superintendents etc
!

Hey thanks a lot for the update. Much appreciated.