PDA

View Full Version : Larks versus Owls cancer outcomes

ShotOne
7th Nov 2018, 08:24
Research published this week revealed that people more disposed to working and sleeping later (owls) have significantly worse outcomes from breast cancer compared to those who naturally rise early (larks).

The suggestion is not that this arises from being an owl or lark, rather that society is strongly geared towards larks. Owls therefore often have to suffer and manage with less sleep

It’s perfectly acceptable, for instance to make a noise, even shatteringly loud like a pneumatic drill, in the morning. Yet in the evening much milder disturbance would be unacceptable, indeed probably a police matter. Flying night duties pitches one right in the middle of this debate; it’s presumed any “owl” sleeping late must be lazy or drunk

Pontius Navigator
7th Nov 2018, 08:31
Intersting. My daughter is neither fish not fowl. She saw little reason for going to bed and would be up with the lark. Now, older, very much a lark. Her son, 13, very much an owl.

My wife tends to owl, one of her sisters very much a lark. I am lark too.

Falcon Al
7th Nov 2018, 09:30
My darlin' is a 'lark n owl'. She can sleep day or night.

Bob Viking
7th Nov 2018, 09:52
I’m very much an owl. I hate early mornings. I probably shouldn’t have joined the military!

BV

Ancient Mariner
7th Nov 2018, 11:22
Owl and lark me. Last to bed, first up.
Per

charliegolf
7th Nov 2018, 11:43
I’m very much an owl. I hate early mornings. I probably shouldn’t have joined the military!

BV

Ha ha spot on! I'm regarded as 'brilliant in the mornings' or 'at getting up'. But I cannot recall a day ever, when I have wanted to not stay in bed. Ever!

CG

treadigraph
7th Nov 2018, 12:32
Lark. I've taken to waking up at about 4am recently. Can't get back to sleep... give in, downstairs, make and drink a cup of tea. Then upstairs cos I need a pee. Then back to bed... zzzzzzzzzz.

Prefer light to dark but enjoy sunset as well as sunrise... Roll on Spring and a pox on clocks going back...

SpringHeeledJack
7th Nov 2018, 13:27
Always a lark, though the carousing periods of one's life altered that a bit. There is something wonderful about early morning, almost like a clean slate, endless possibilities etc etc.

ShotOne
7th Nov 2018, 22:40
That’s nice for you, but this isn’t really about choices. It’s about areas where there isn’t one. Hospital wards, for instance, are often like Piccadilly Circus at 7am; cleaners and breakfast in full swing. Some patients are less likely to survive as a result.

Tankertrashnav
8th Nov 2018, 00:28
Was only saying to Mrs TTN today that there appears to be one of these stories in The Times every day now. Along the lines of "people with big noses and red hair are 20% more likely to develop dementia" etc. I am quite convinced that most of these are surveys carried out by postgrads trying to scratch a living by getting funding to support research for more and more dubious theories.

SpringHeeledJack
8th Nov 2018, 06:35
That’s nice for you, but this isn’t really about choices. It’s about areas where there isn’t one. Hospital wards, for instance, are often like Piccadilly Circus at 7am; cleaners and breakfast in full swing. Some patients are less likely to survive as a result.

That's so true! And once or twice in the night for observations/other. That said, you become used to the rhythm very quickly, you have to....Other points in the day that are quiet can be used to sleep/nap/relax.

tdracer
8th Nov 2018, 08:09
I'm very much an owl at heart. On vacation, or during extended holiday periods, I tended to a midnight or later bedtime and slept far later than is considered 'polite'. Unfortunately, my job was counter to this, forcing me to be an early riser - for the last few years before I retired I needed to get up at 4am and leave the house by 4:30am :eek: Not being one of those who can get by on little sleep, this forced me to go to bed no later than 10pm, often earlier. And I hated it... When the Boeing engineers went on strike back in year 2000, my wife was visiting her family in Indonesia and a I was basically an unemployed bachelor for six weeks. I seldom went to bed before 2am, and sometimes later than 4am (some very interesting stuff on the TV during the wee hours :O. When the strike was finally settled, I found myself having to get up at about the same time I'd been going to bed :uhoh:
Now that I'm retired, I've reverted to full night owl behavior. And I've noticed the dramatic double standard regarding noise. If my dog is barking after 10pm, I'm going to hear complaints. But when the same guy that complained about my dog goes out and is running his lawnmower (or worse, leaf blower) at 8am, how dare I complain....