PDA

View Full Version : 300nm JAR CPL requirment X-country?

David Balchin
30th Jul 2002, 16:32
My Lords, Ladies and Gentlemen.

I've noticed (see CAA FCL Webby) that it appears to be nessesary to complete a 300nm
X-country BEFORE? attending a JAR Modular CPL A flying course as one of the 'hoops' you now have to jump through.

Dose any one know what the drill is with this requirement?,

Do you just print off a sheet of A4, have a chuntter round ya fave airfields and get the ATC / FBO to sign it as you go round your two minimum landouts?

Or do you have to land out at airfields you haven't been to before?

Any other factors to concider that any one who's done it can think of?

FANKS!:rolleyes:

Luke SkyToddler
30th Jul 2002, 18:01
It's an I.C.A.O. requirement funnily enough, and it's been around since Pontius was a pilot :rolleyes: We have to do them in New Zealand as well.

You'll obviously want to double check the UK legislation to make sure it's the same, but down here it's 300 n.m. in total with at least two full stop landings other than the airfield of departure. I'm racking my brains to remember from my UK instructing days but I think one of the airfields has to be 'at least 100 miles straight-line distance away from your airfield of departure' as well. And you have to get it verified as completed in your logbook by a senior instructor before flight test day.

It's easy really, it'd probably take you a full day in a PA38 but it's only an afternoon's work in a Warrior or other half decent touring single.

GearUp CheerUp
30th Jul 2002, 20:21
I did mine for a UK issued CPL in a different European country. All I did was save reciepts for landing fees and fuel bought at the 2 other airfields and got them to stamp my logbook. The CAA were quite happy with this.

A 3 leg 300 mile x country will automatically include at least 1 leg that is 100 miles long. If you live in the UK, there is nothing to stop you making the 300nm X country an international flight. :cool:

kwaiyai
30th Jul 2002, 20:50
Hi David,
speaking as a lowly UK CRE, you are correct you will need to complete a Xcountry of a minimum of 300 nms. 1 leg must be 100 nms plus two land aways (I think controlled ie not a farm strip) to be completed in a day. I would strongly recommend you get your log book rubber stamped by the ATSU's if poss at each visited airfield and if your hiring your plane from a school get a friendly duty instructor to authenticate it then theres no argument with CAA or your CPL examiner. Hope you have good weather for your flight. Regards, KW :)

Meeb
30th Jul 2002, 20:52
There is no need to obtain 'stamps' or 'receipts' from this flight as it is not being flown as a student pilot. The CAA do not require anything other than it is logged in your log book correctly. It is a
fantastic opportunity to fly a fair distance and see new places, so pick somewhere you have never been before and go for it. Checking it out before hand with an instructor or a friend would spoil the fun of it all. Out of all the requirements to meet for a CPL you will find this one is the most fun, and free of all tests! Enjoy...

foghorn
30th Jul 2002, 21:05
Agree with meeb, mine was in South Africa, with no counter signatures or anything special in the log.

The only thing that the CAA need to know is the date of the flight on the CPL application form so they can check your logbook entries.

Cheers!
foggy.

RED WINGS
31st Jul 2002, 08:04
It is not a requirement to have completed it b 4 starting the groundschool it is only a requirement for licence issue

ie cpl skill test pass ground school passed no 300x cty no licence

David Balchin
31st Jul 2002, 10:40
Everyone who has so far offered advice on my posting here (and I note a number of pro-pilots have taken the time to reply)
A very big thankyou :D

luvly jubbly
4th Aug 2002, 07:54
Did mine whilst on holiday in Florida. A great way to see the State, and loads of fun!

No receipts or stamps needed.

Enjoy it!

LJ

wysiwyg
4th Aug 2002, 16:36
Did mine in a Volkswagen powered, non-radio, open cockpit Luton Minor cruising at 50 knots with an 80 mile range. Borrowed fuel cans at my numerous stops to nip over the hedge and get Mogas from local petrol stations! Departed shortly after dawn and returned just before sunset. Would have been dull in a Cherokee or a Spam.
These days anything less than 0.79 mach is unacceptable!

David Balchin
5th Aug 2002, 10:08
Wysiwyg...
ME...... The 13th Duke of Peckham...... Doing a 300nm X-Country
......In a Luton Minor!!!......With my reputation!!!?

If the weathers nice on sunday I'll do mine in a 1947 PA12 Super Cruiser (Cub)..I'll be doing Eaglescott (Devon) to Headcorn (Kent (to beat-up the Tiger Club!)) then over to Wales then back to Eaglescott
Groooovey Baby Yaaar!:D :eek:

tacpot
5th Aug 2002, 15:39
No problem with the two landaways being controlled airfields, but is there any requirement for 'home' to be a controlled airfield?

A and C
5th Aug 2002, 18:13
Dont forget to make one of the landings abrord so that you can get some money back from customs in the form of fuel duty drawback!.

tacpot
5th Aug 2002, 18:45
Don't knock it. I've already had to figure out what the red knob does just so I can afford the trip.:D

Wireless
5th Aug 2002, 18:57
Wysiwyg, where was your Luton based. I have many memorable hours in one of them.

Wireless

David Balchin
5th Aug 2002, 19:36
I'm Not so sure the airfields need be more than 'Radio' let alone full Air Traffic controlled.

wysiwyg
6th Aug 2002, 07:40
The Luton was based at White Waltham (I have had shares in both the Lutons at WW). My route was WW-Sandown-Headcorn-Popham-Bidford on Avon-WW. For those that don't know, Bidford is a gliding site near Pershore. I lost a mag shortly into the final leg but having completed 280 miles by that point I wasn't stopping!
The important things to note are that the flight was accepted by the CAA without question despite being -
a: non-radio
b: no signatures
c: no leg of 100 miles
d: 4 land aways

It strikes me that there are NO real set criteria other than you must complete 300nm in one day. Anything else seems to be made up by people craving more regulation!

regards
wizzy

foghorn
6th Aug 2002, 08:23
I say again, there are no extra requirements other than to complete the three required 100nm legs in a single day. No signatures, no requirement for controlled/licensed airfields, no requirement to be in the UK, nothing.

FYI I did mine in South Africa between three uncontrolled unattended fields. I kept the receipts in case the CAA queried me (this is a good habit to get into anyway), but all they wanted to know is the date of the flight and to see the log book entries.

Cheers!
foggy.

Mintflavour
6th Aug 2002, 09:43
Not long been back from florida, but while I was there I rented a c152 for the afternoon and took off on to an adventure, This included 4 hours of flying and landing at 7 other airfields. The only controlled air field was the home airfield. The furthest airfield may have been about 100nm (need to check). Howeveer I have not counted up the miles yet but if I covered in excess of 300nm can this count towards the JAA cpl requirement.

cheers

kwaiyai
6th Aug 2002, 20:57
Mintflavor,
I'm sure it would count. My last post was a recommendation as I have had dealings with the CAA before. Not on this subject but some poor PPL applicant who nearly had his App rejected During the National JAA transition. I did My 300 NMS in France BF JAA.
All the best KW :)

wysiwyg
6th Aug 2002, 23:06
Foghorn - you say 'three required 100nm legs'. There is no requirement for this, just a total distance of 300nm and 2 land aways.

foghorn
7th Aug 2002, 08:00
Good point. You're correct. I have a feeling that the old CAA requirements used to insist on one leg of at least 100nm straight line hence a lot of people do 3 x 100nm legs.

JAR-FCL 1.155(c) details the current requirements - must be cross country and of 300nm and have two full stop landings two different aerodromes to that of departure. Nothing else.

Cheers!
foggy.