PDA

View Full Version : First Plane Purchase

JustOneMoreQuestion.
6th Nov 2018, 14:34
Right, another one for you.
Looking at buying my first plane, something along the lines of a Veep or Turbulent. Very limited budget, so just after a realistic idea of what costs I can expect when running an aircraft on an LAA permit.
So, ignoring the initial cost (purchasing something with permit remaining), what do I need to factor in?
Thank you

ak7274
6th Nov 2018, 16:27
Insurance, Hangarage, Permit renewal are fixed costs. Fuel, oil, parts are variable.
My Jodel cost about £4800 a year in total which includes 100 hrs fuel at 18-20 litres an hour.
You need to put a bit aside for extra costs that may or may not be needed just yet, but will eventually.

Jan Olieslagers
6th Nov 2018, 16:31
If the mods will allow your hi-jacking the thread: if on a tight budget, consider self-maintenance above all. IF it is legal for your chosen craft AND IF you can (more or less) enjoy being the mechanic as much as being the pilot, this is where the savings are. Other than that, as per ak7274.

JustOneMoreQuestion.
6th Nov 2018, 16:44
Thank you. So, realistically, if I put £500 pm aside, then paid for fuel and oil out of a separate amount, that *should* be OK. Thank you :)
Jan, which thread am I hijacking? I'd love to do self maintenance, however, I don't think I'm quite handy enough to do that, and probably wouldn't trust myself to be fair.
Thank you both :)

Jan Olieslagers
6th Nov 2018, 16:48
You are hijacking this very thread, which was started by a person with a budget and ambitions quite different from yours; and which had given raise to a quite interesting, open, constructive, polite discussion. You could have done worse things than to create a new thread for your question, it would have every chance of growing an equally positive discussion.

JustOneMoreQuestion.
6th Nov 2018, 17:04
Jan... I think you're getting confused. This is a new post, and your last reply was number 5 in the thread.....

eckhard
6th Nov 2018, 17:11
The other thread is called ‘First Aircraft Purchase’. Close, but no cigar!

Jan Olieslagers
6th Nov 2018, 17:16
:ashamed blush: right you are, thanks for patiently pointing out, and my sincere apologies. Given the similarity of titles, I think I might be forgiven, though.

Jan Olieslagers
6th Nov 2018, 17:20
As for "not handy enough": I have given up on changing the oil on my Fiat Ducato van, but have no issue with doing the same on my Rotax engine. So much simpler, more straightforward, more accessible, and better documented. Aeroplanes are rather basic, mechanically. One does need to be meticulous, though, errors can have grave consequences.

JustOneMoreQuestion.
6th Nov 2018, 17:34
Well, I suppose all is forgiven :p
That's fair enough, I suppose with the right instruction, it should be easy enough. Cars are a pain though...

Jan Olieslagers
6th Nov 2018, 18:22
if I put £500 pm aside, then paid for fuel and oil out of a separate amount, that *should* be OK

That must depend very much on where you are, and I understand the UK is not the most favourable place for light private aviation.
500 sterling per month might amount to some 5000 € yearly for me, more than enough to cover my fixed costs (hangarage, legal but minimal insurance) AND at least 200 hours of flying. But that's for a very humble 3-axis ultralight, and the hangarage so small that I must fold/unfold the wings after/before every day of flying.

Blink182
6th Nov 2018, 19:19
Join the LAA and meet other Pilots / Owners / and aircraft maintainers......... where are you in the UK ?

ak7274
6th Nov 2018, 19:37
My figures are for an LAA aircraft, which is self maintained.
I suggest that is not expensive in any European country, Aviation friendly or otherwise.

Maoraigh1
6th Nov 2018, 20:09
You mention VP and Turbulent. Both should be very cheap to buy, and operate. But hangarage is essential. That will be probably be the biggest annual expence.
Be sure you've got that. Then a prebuy by the LAA Inspector who'll be doing your Permit. Then insure, and buy quickly.
Both these aircraft will be much more weather limited than many others.
(Earlier this year, we, a Syndicate, travelled to inspect one weekend, insured, then payed, by the end of the week. Then I flew it home. A more capable aircraft than your choices, but £15,500.)
The VP1 and Turbulent won't need an instructor familiarisation flight - you'll have a tailwheel/taildragger qualification of course..

abgd
7th Nov 2018, 00:04
I have a Turbulent. Direct costs are about £1600 a year - hangarage is the main one at about 1100; then you have LAA membership, inspection and insurance. It's a nice aircraft with a reasonable range and luggage capacity - would have loved to do a bit of camping this warm summer, but reliability issues have kept me grounded.

Now if you buy a completely sorted aircraft with no snags that is all you need to know. My experience is that it has been a learning curve and I spend a fair bit of time and money keeping it running. I have a lathe which I've needed to make all sorts of parts - e.g. the ball on the throttle came off in my hand. I think you need a degree of mechanical nous and willingness to get your hands dirty to run these aircraft. If you have to pay other people to do this, they stop being so cheap.

Notso Fantastic
13th Nov 2018, 11:22
A group makes it much easier. We run a 9 yr Sportcruiser with 7. Put in £75/month + £15/hour which covers it without fuel, but very occasionally a cash call is needed. Had noseleg problems, and regular prop pitch expenses, now need new VP prop at £1500. There are regular and frequent unexpected expenses with these aeroplanes!