PDA

View Full Version : Spot the Deliberate Mistake

Startrek3
6th Nov 2018, 12:51
How on earth can we expect the mainstream press to report accurately (e.g. pictures of RAF personnel being called 'Army') when the MOD cannot even be relied on to produce accurate articles?? Or maybe it is just a ruse to confuse the Russians!
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-cements-position-in-gulf-with-new-joint-base-in-oman

MPN11
6th Nov 2018, 12:58
F-ing pathetic. I have used the Comments facility on that link accordingly!

BTW, it’s Mistakes in the plural. Three out of four captions wrong is a very high score on the ineptitude scale. ;)

chopper2004
6th Nov 2018, 13:01
How on earth can we expect the mainstream press to report accurately (e.g. pictures of RAF personnel being called 'Army') when the MOD cannot even be relied on to produce accurate articles?? Or maybe it is just a ruse to confuse the Russians!
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-cements-position-in-gulf-with-new-joint-base-in-oman

its gets better with the caption:😐🤫

cheers
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1500x2000/a3111118_f76d_4c45_a758_c00774837430_b8cadde24eb3fdc839bea90 54ccd041aec5c1cf7.png

MPN11
6th Nov 2018, 13:05
See also “stationary armoured cars” v. “advancing tanks” and the Chinook Mk. 37b :)

Onceapilot
6th Nov 2018, 13:06
Virtually everything published by MOD/Gov about UK armed forces is full of errors.:)

OAP

MPN11
6th Nov 2018, 13:13
Perhaps a mass of PPRuNe comments on that release might sharpen someone’s pencil in Whitehall? The link is there at the foot of the page!

“Is there anything wrong with this page?”

Pontius Navigator
6th Nov 2018, 13:37
Perhaps a mass of PPRuNe comments on that release might sharpen someone’s pencil in Whitehall? The link is there at the foot of the page!

“Is there anything wrong with this page?”
Not known as Truth Central for nothing but I must be word blind as I didn't see Army or RAF mentioned.

Love the shared culture - Omani Post Horn Gallop on a .303 is something though. And Austere so that the guys don't think swimming pools and Ray Band and 5* accommodation.

muppetofthenorth
6th Nov 2018, 15:04
It worked. Captions have all been changed.

teeteringhead
6th Nov 2018, 15:33
A minor point, but they still haven't changed "Royal Omani Air Force" to the correct version "Royal Air Force of Oman"......

Startrek3
6th Nov 2018, 15:37
Now the only question is...is that a 105mm gun!!:)

ps. The Army v RAF comment was a general comment about most press articles that invariably label RAF personnel in combats as Army rather than one about the article per se.....

MPN11
6th Nov 2018, 16:26
It worked. Captions have all been changed.
YESSSS!!! “Power to the People”, even if they bottled out of actually saying what they were!

I shall refill my wine-glass, and feel smug!! :)

Rosevidney1
6th Nov 2018, 18:26
What qualifications are needed to work in a government department?.... or should it be: Are ANY qualifications required?

Pontius Navigator
6th Nov 2018, 18:40
Rosevidney, no qualification. When a previous RO post was transferred to CS and a new incumbent to replace an RAFR Sqn Ldr they had a nurse, a teacher and some other pen pushers all of whom saw it as a root to promotion and had not the foggiest idea of the job.

MPN11
6th Nov 2018, 19:42
A degree in anything irrelevant seems to be the basic criterion these days. How we peasants with just O-levels coped I cannot comprehend. :)

Herod
6th Nov 2018, 20:53
In my day, a 105 mm was carried on the aircraft's centreline, not slung from the undercarriage mounting. Wonderful what Photoshop can do (if you're careful)

artee
6th Nov 2018, 21:49
Rosevidney, no qualification. When a previous RO post was transferred to CS and a new incumbent to replace an RAFR Sqn Ldr they had a nurse, a teacher and some other pen pushers all of whom saw it as a root to promotion and had not the foggiest idea of the job.

Does this mean getting laid to get promoted?

Dan Winterland
7th Nov 2018, 03:23
I see the photo of F16s has been re-captioned "fast jets''. No longer Typhoons - just generic fast jets. Seems they can't identify a F16!

Hydromet
7th Nov 2018, 08:03
...a root to promotion A Freudian slip there, Pontius? Is this the military version of the casting couch?

TUPE
7th Nov 2018, 08:06
In my day, a 105 mm was carried on the aircraft's centreline, not slung from the undercarriage mounting. Wonderful what Photoshop can do (if you're careful)

USL is being carried by the ac ahead of that one.

Simplythebeast
7th Nov 2018, 08:39
They dont seem to have impressed the Umpires, although not all judges have raised their scoreboards yet that solitary ‘1’ gives cause for concern,;)

Herod
7th Nov 2018, 16:17
TUPE. Yep, my bad.