PDA

View Full Version : WWII aircraft not painted

ROC man
4th Nov 2018, 14:36
This was common in the USAAF in the later stages of the war as air superiority was won and aircraft production is quicker if they dont have to go through a paint shop. Did the RAF consider going down this route? I would be grateful if any knows the answer or could provide a link.Thank you.

Innominate
4th Nov 2018, 21:12
From memory, the RAF didn't change its colour schemes until after the war, perhaps 1947 or later. However, American types (notably the Mustang) would have been received from the factory in bare metal and I think were not painted by the RAF. Whether the RAF considered a formal change in policy for UK-built types is a different question!

dook
4th Nov 2018, 21:34
All WW2 RAF aircraft were painted. Those not in camouflage were painted silver, but were very rare indeed.

Matt finish camouflage was more important than painting costs. Bare metal glinted in sunlight.

I flew probably the first fighter after ww2 which was left in bare metal finish.

WHBM
4th Nov 2018, 21:34
Pre-war aircraft commonly had a fabric exterior. Metal (aluminium) aircraft came along in the late 1930s, some painted, some not. "Aluminium" is typically an alloy with various other minority metals (chromium, copper, etc), some alloys are more suited to not being painted that others. Different designers would specify different alloys, and the ability of the aluminium producers in different parts of the world to offer different products also came into it. Different air forces also had different attitudes to camouflage and visibility. Eventually a non-painted exterior, outside camouflage requirements, prevailed of course.

In the late 1940s BOAC had a significant issue with (unpainted aluminium aircraft) flight decks becoming too hot when cruising in the tropics under overhead sun, with the poor air conditioning of the time. Whoever first thought of painting above the flight deck white to reflect the sun, quickly followed by the rest of the upper fuselage, set the style for the rest of the airline industry to follow. Apart from American Airlines, who never painted an aircraft from their first aluminium one in the 1930s until about 5 years ago, when they finally gave in. It saved weight, but was offset quite a bit by extra maintenance resulting.

dook
4th Nov 2018, 21:37
However, American types (notably the Mustang) would have been received from the factory in bare metal and I think were not painted by the RAF

Find me a photo of an RAF Mustang in WW2, apart from "Peanut" unpainted and check my post above ^^^^^

OMG Itz Fulovstarz
6th Nov 2018, 15:52
All late-build B-24's, P-47's and P-51's supplied to the RAF were in natural metal finish and stayed that way for operations.

Plenty of photos out there.