PDA

View Full Version : Nimrod query.

segajet
4th Nov 2018, 11:39
Sorry to be a bit of an anorak, but could any ex-Nimrod driver tell me the purpose of the big red guarded button marked N, on the captains yoke of the Nimrod? Having flown the Comet with Danair, I was impressed by the Nimrod during a recent visit to Norwich Airport flying museum.

segajet
4th Nov 2018, 11:59
Thanks for the quick reply. I suspected it must be something to do with nuclear devices. (rather than calling for a Nescafe) . The gear down the back was very impressive, and the cockpit was a major improvement on the cockpit. I wonder if it still dripped water down your neck and paperwork during descent.

Pontius Navigator
4th Nov 2018, 12:44
No, the water came up through the floor boards ☺

thunderbird7
4th Nov 2018, 13:00
I thought the 2 buttons were C for coffee and N for no sugar

segajet
4th Nov 2018, 13:13
Interesting that it was still damp. We always thought the problem with the Comet was something to do with the close proximity of the galley, aft of the flight deck. You literally had to hang your paperwork up to dry after descent. The semi humorous story was that BOAC had it in the TOD checklist "hand captain towel"

oxenos
4th Nov 2018, 14:28
On a Shackleton detachment to Machrihanish about '66 or '67 ( Kinloss runway was being re-surfaced ), 206 Sqn had an open day for the Toon Council of Campbelltown. We were told that if anyone asked, the C button was for talking to the whole crew, N was for talking to the navigator.

NutLoose
4th Nov 2018, 14:44
So it wasn't for Canapés and then Next course?

Distant Voice
4th Nov 2018, 15:42
Obviously "big red guarded button marked N" was Nuclear release. All the special wiring had to be certified ever six months(?) by a nuclear certification officer.

Distant Voice

thunderbird7
5th Nov 2018, 06:45
Next time you visit Hendon, you may be surprised to see a bomb trolley with 2 x Mk57 Nuclear Depth Charges on it!!!

Yellow Sun
5th Nov 2018, 11:18
Next time you visit Hendon, you may be surprised to see a bomb trolley with 2 x Mk57 Nuclear Depth Charges on it!!!

I trust that you checked the window to ensure that the previous owners hadn’t left behind anything that shouldn’t be there? They do have some “form” in that area! (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_United_States_Air_Force_nuclear_weapons_incident)

YS:E

Dimmer Switch
5th Nov 2018, 12:37
I have no live rounds, empty cases or variable yield thermonuclear devices in my possession, Staff !

notfred
5th Nov 2018, 13:24
When I was in the Air Training Corps we got to tour the Nimrod simulator and asked about the N button. We were simply told "We don't talk about that", which I think most of us understood what it was for!

ExAscoteer
5th Nov 2018, 13:25
I have no live rounds, empty cases

That Declaration is well out of date! :8

Pontius Navigator
5th Nov 2018, 14:12
Please tell.

Not long ago our brown friends, finding the odd live round in their kit at Stanta would drop them through the most convenient grilled repository.

Landmarc moaned that they kept turning up live rounds in the drains and garbage ☺

Cows getting bigger
5th Nov 2018, 16:26
I was told it was named N in homage to the Knights who say "Ni".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIV4poUZAQo

airpolice
5th Nov 2018, 17:09
I thought that is was some kind of James Bond thing, where the markings on the outside of the aircraft could be selected to either Nimrod or Comet, to suit the destination airfield, or foreign interceptors.

Herod
5th Nov 2018, 19:02
airpolice. Yet again I'm glad I keep my coffee well away from my keyboard.:D

MPN11
5th Nov 2018, 19:14
OMG, I have to unlearn decades of 'parrot speak' ... what is it now?

About 5 times longer, with a Safety Case tacked on, presumably

woptb
6th Nov 2018, 21:04
Eng officers doing certs? I think you mean bumbling idiot inserted into trained,experienced team to cause maximum pain. Oh sorry read that wrong! Let’s have all switch’s to safe & start again; Attempt No.6 !!!

NutLoose
7th Nov 2018, 02:06

"I aint got na live bullets, wasted or duff ones in ma gear bruv"

ExAscoteer
7th Nov 2018, 11:18

"Sir (or Ma'am), I have no ammunition in my possession and I will report anyone else who has".

Pontius Navigator
7th Nov 2018, 12:36
"Sir (or Ma'am), I have no ammunition in my possession and I will report anyone else who has".
That'll work.

reynoldsno1
8th Nov 2018, 00:25
On one open day, they stuck brown paper over the DCUs. Every single one of the visiting public asked what was under the paper. The next open day we just left everything uncovered. When asked occasionally about the N & C buttons I just told them it was for Nuclear & Conventional - no-one seemed to believe me....