PDA

View Full Version : EngO Question

DannyBernoulli
4th Nov 2018, 07:45
Hi all.

I am new to Pprune, currently serving (RAF) in an out of trade post and I am in the process of preparing for OASC, hoping to be selected for the Basic Entry Scheme. (Eng AS)

I have a couple of questions I was hoping someone here on Pprune may be able to assist with:

As an SAC, I have a basic awareness of DDH, ODH and SDH making Risk to Life decisions but how does the role of an EngO on a Sqn fit in to that? Where does the EngO (typically JEngO) sit within the Military Air Environment?

If I was back in trade, I would obviously ask my line management and I am planning to visit a front line Sqn soon however, any help in the mean time would be most appreciated.

best regards
Dan.

Sandy Parts
4th Nov 2018, 16:07
Hi Dan - a quick search using 'jengo' found this similar thread - https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/591500-engo-advice.html?highlight=jengo
Might be of use - you may even be able to get in touch with the thread started via private message to see how he got on?

Easy Street
4th Nov 2018, 19:20
To simplify what could be a very lengthy answer, the Type Airworthiness Authority supplies Duty Holders with aircraft, tools, and servicing and maintenance procedures, and if these are all used as specified then the Duty Holder will not be liable for any technical risks. However it's sometimes necessary to step outside that airworthiness 'envelope' and that's where EngOs come in. I'm using the word 'deviation' to mean anything not in accordance with the Aircraft Document Set.

1) They can propose deviations for approval by the Engineering Authority, through the CAMO or sometimes directly. If successful there is no need for the Duty Holder to even be made aware: the airworthiness 'envelope' has effectively grown.

2) They can authorise deviations without Engineering Authority approval, although their scope for doing so is controlled by regulation (some of which may be issued by Duty Holders). Risks so arising are effectively held by the Duty Holder, but rather than scrutinizing the fine detail of every deviation, an enlightened Duty Holder will manage risk by ensuring that his/her EngOs are SQEP (sorry...) and monitoring their judgement through routine STANEVAL, CAMO and occurrence reports.

3) Finally, if a deviation goes beyond the most senior EngO's (usually OC Eng Wg's) authority to approve, the Duty Holder will be presented with a risk acceptance decision which will have been largely prepared by EngOs, possibly with operator input explaining any time constraints. If escalated to the next higher Duty Holder there will be another, more senior EngO on hand to add another layer of engineering analysis.

If I've oversimplified, it's because I'm aircrew, but hopefully a useful overview of a complex and sometimes vexed topic...

Sandy Parts
5th Nov 2018, 16:46
wot he said! If you are visiting a station and need the full chapter and verse, see if you can get to the Total Safety Cell (or similarly named org). There should be a wealth of knowledge there re the Eng world view.