PDA

View Full Version : IR(R) and Night Rating

JustOneMoreQuestion.
3rd Nov 2018, 13:42
Hello all,
Long time no post. I haven't flown for over 18 months, and my SEP is due to lapse just after Christmas. Obviously, I don't particularly want this to happen, but lack of funds may mean it's inevitable.
So, a few questions:
1) Can I renew my SEP through a re-validation skills test whilst the rating is still current, thus hopefully allowing just a few hours flying time instead of the full 12?
2) With Brexit looming and the whole IMC/IR(r) debacle, if I were to obtain an IR(r) before March(?), would I be able to continue using it throughout Europe past this, and continue to exercise it's privileges for the foreseeable future?
3) If I decided to do my IR(r), could I simultaneously complete my Night Rating, or would this have to be done in 2 separate 'sittings'?
Thank you
JOMQ

tmmorris
3rd Nov 2018, 19:11
2. No, the IR(R) is only valid in the UK.

If you are struggling for funds to maintain the SEP then how are you going to fund it?

ChickenHouse
3rd Nov 2018, 19:46
1) You can renew your Part.FCL EASA SEP by either a training flight with FI when all requirements are met or by a checkflight with FE in lieu of meeting the requirements. There are some elder guys at our local flying club only doing one single checkflight every two years to keep it alive. But, nobody can be sure the UK will stays under EASA regulation.
3) legal or in reality? I would always advice to do night before IR.

Gertrude the Wombat
3rd Nov 2018, 23:08
I would always advice to do night before IR
I've done IR(R) but not the night rating ... however I have done some night flying, because some of my IR(R) lessons were at night (you're not needing to see out during ain IR(R) lesson anyway so it doesn't matter if it's dark outside).

Within seconds after take-off at night you're on instruments (well, depending on weather and location, but sometimes you will be). As you're going to need some competence with flying on instruments in order to fly at night, why wouldn't you do the IR(R) first?

JustOneMoreQuestion.
4th Nov 2018, 09:03
Sorry, made a silly mistake:
So, after April, although the IR(r) will no longer be issued in the UK, it will still be valid in the UK for those who already hold it?
Renewal wise, I think a check flight with an examiner might be the way forwards
I would probably do IR before NR, which I think is the way to do it.
In terms of funding, things may be changing, I just don't want to miss my opportunity to do my IR(r), if it will be dead after April (though this may be outdated information, so some clarity on this would be much appreciated too.
Thanks so far :)

BEagle
4th Nov 2018, 09:36
The CAA has no intention of withdrawing the IR(R) next April - I don't know who started such a baseless rumour!

A and C
4th Nov 2018, 09:43
At the moment the position is that your UK licence will after Brexit only be valid for flying UK registered aircraft. The EU will have to recognise it as an ICAO licence for flight in EU airspace in UK registered aircraft.

The EU has prohibited EASA from talking to the UK CAA about Brexit issues and how to make any transition smooth, you have to wonder if these people have ever been our friends within the EU or just a bunch of empire builders who are having a hissy fit because they know the game it up.

Gertrude the Wombat
4th Nov 2018, 16:57
The EU has prohibited EASA from talking to the UK CAA about Brexit issues
Evidence??

A and C
5th Nov 2018, 08:30
The lack of anything but the dropping of an iron curtain on EASA compliant UK aviation for political reasons seems to be good enough.

I am being forced by EASA to get a licence issued by an EU state so I can keep working when my UK licence remains EASA compliant, any one who thinks the EU is not a self serving bully that tries to squash democracy is living in a dream world, so much for a friendly parting of the ways because it was the will of the people.

BillieBob
5th Nov 2018, 11:19
A and C is right on the money.
Evidence??Apart from a first-hand account from a good friend who now works in Cologne, how about this from a recent IATA press release:
IATA believes that EASA and the UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) should be allowed to initiate detailed technical discussions on the future relationship between the two bodies, with [IATA CEO Alexandre] de Juniac calling it "ridiculous" that formal discussions between the two bodies have not been allowed. Full release may be found here (https://airlines.iata.org/news/brexit-chaos-must-be-avoided-iata-warns)

A and C
5th Nov 2018, 14:48
Thank you Billebob, that was what I was looking for.

The_Pink_Panther
20th Nov 2018, 11:57
"I just don't want to miss my opportunity to do my IR(r), if it will be dead after April"

"The CAA has no intention of withdrawing the IR(R) next April - I don't know who started such a baseless rumour!"

So which is it? I've heard an instructor suggest that all IR(R) training and testing will cease after March next year.

tia
TPP

Maulkin
23rd Nov 2018, 19:25
From the PPL/IR (https://www.pplir.org/) forums:

"IR(R) holders may be aware that EASA had only extended their approval of the UK recognising the IR(R) for use in EASA aircraft until 2019.
I have now heard from the CAA that they have an agreement from EASA that they can continue issuing and recognising the rating beyond the deadline by way of an Exception.
So the IR(R) is safe at least until the BIR is implemented.
There is no agreement (or even discussion at the moment) about the fate of the IR(R) after the BIR implementation, but it seems likely that there will be grandfather rights, possibly opening the possibility of getting the IMCR as a route to the BIR."