PDA

View Full Version : Fate or duff iPad?

Nervous SLF
1st Nov 2018, 09:06
On and off for the last 8 or 9 months SWMBO has been trying to obtain a copy of a relatives’ Will
via the UK Govts website but only ever got “no search result available”.Today I started to read the
last page of the Concord thread here in JB and clicked onto a link about the accident report ( post 68 ).
Upon scrolling down I came across a link for obtaining copies of Probate,
Wills and Grants so being nosy I put in the relatives name and year of death. Bingo - instant result using
my old desktop with Windows. I informed SWMBO who once again tried to find the same info using her iPad
and yet again no search result could be found. We both used the very same UK Govt. Web page and I
could register and order a copy of said Will.So learned people is this a spooky story of fate or just because
a one year old iPad isn’t up to it? Is it only me who is supposed to be allowed to see the Will and not SWMBO
or am I being guided so I can prepare her for what is or isn't in it?

Pontius Navigator
1st Nov 2018, 09:12
All I can say is Mrs PN would happily throw here IPad 2 out the window. It has its good points I am sure but I refused to get involved. I am thinking of a large Kindle Fire for Christmas and a bonfire as well.

PS, repost in the Computer section.

Sallyann1234
1st Nov 2018, 10:08
Just remember that the Kindle Fire is not like other Android tablets. It is tied into the Amazon system and can be frustrating to use at times.

artee
1st Nov 2018, 11:53
All I can say is Mrs PN would happily throw here IPad 2 out the window. It has its good points I am sure but I refused to get involved. I am thinking of a large Kindle Fire for Christmas and a bonfire as well.

Silly me! I thought you meant have a bonfire and throw on your Kindles. Then I realised that you meant Kindle Fire, as in device...

Pontius Navigator
1st Nov 2018, 11:55
Sally, true but I use mine most if the time here and emails. There are some apps that are difficult to run but for what Mrs PN does i think it would be fine.

My Fire failed out if warranty. Having gone through all the fault recovery they sent me a newer model, probably refurbished, but works well.

Bull at a Gate
1st Nov 2018, 13:21
Nervous, what browser are you using on your desktop. What browser is Mrs SLF using on her iPad. I suspect they might be different.

Nervous SLF
1st Nov 2018, 19:00
Nervous, what browser are you using on your desktop. What browser is Mrs SLF using on her iPad. I suspect they might be different.

I use the latest Firefox, Windows 10, I have Adblock Plus, Ghostery and Trend anti virus.
SWMBO has the latest update on her iPad but none of the above. I keep well away from
her iPad because if it went wrong it would be something I had done - I am not going there Ha Ha Ha.

andytug
1st Nov 2018, 19:16
Ipads along with all Ios kit use Safari as a browser, so yes there is the potential for different search results to a Windows or Android device. Also may be affected by any previous searches.

Pontius Navigator
1st Nov 2018, 23:25
Nsfl, me too

PacWest
2nd Nov 2018, 05:36

I just bought the new Amazon Kindle Fire 8. Amazing.https://www.pprune.org/images/infopop/icons/icon14.gif
`

RHSandLovingIt
3rd Nov 2018, 02:18
Bingo - instant result using my old desktop with Windows. I informed SWMBO who once again tried to find the same info using her iPad and yet again no search result could be found. We both used the very same UK Govt. Web page and I could register and order a copy of said Will.So learned people is this a spooky story of fate or just because a one year old iPad isn’t up to it?
Websites can (and do) return different pages based on the "browser ID" (aka User Agent) that a web browser will present when accessing said website... this is how websites detect "mobile" browsers such as those used on iPhone and Android smartphones... and iPads ;) The idea being that the website can offer "mobile compatible" versions of the website with layouts designed for the reduced screen real estate usually available on mobile devices etc.

I'd say that the UK govt website you are using, for whatever reason, is simply not playing nicely with the Safari browser on SWMBO's iPad.

I believe Safari has a "request desktop version" type option (like Chrome does on Android), see if this works with the website in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq0eorLCh8U

ExSp33db1rd
3rd Nov 2018, 04:06
I find that I can't do a lot of things on my iPad that I'm used to on a Windows computer, and some links and photo's won't open in e-mails that read on the iPad. Don't worry too much, my parents had no telephone at home untiI I had left home, at age 21. No television either, and I still don't have a Smartphone. Life hasn't treated me too badly so far, so what's all the fascination with these gadgets 24/7 ? Some people need to Get A Life.

Pontius Navigator
3rd Nov 2018, 10:41
so what's all the fascination with these gadgets 24/7 ? Some people need to Get A Life.
Drole.

😊

Nervous SLF
4th Nov 2018, 01:47
Final update for anyone who cares that is Ha Ha Ha . SWMBO tried her 4 year old iPad with again no result. However I did
receive the Will within the very short timeframe quoted by the website. Excellent service as far as I am concerned but alas the
contents were rather upsetting for her so perhaps "Fate" was trying to help SWMBO by not allowing her access? As the old
saying goes "You can't choose your family so thank goodness you can choose your friends" or words to that effect.

Pontius Navigator
4th Nov 2018, 11:34
NSLF, my grandfather built a house. He had 4 children. When he died in 1936 it was left, I was told, to the 4 children. The oldest had moved away, the older sister was married to a bank manager, and the youngest child, my father, was a bachelor and a seaman. They apparently agreed that the other sister could remain in the house with her husband.

In due course the others all died as did the sister's husband. She took in a lodger or two. When she died they inherited. Really the house was not hers to let apart from her living as the occupant for another 60 years.

I really must, for curiosity, find out if there were wills.