PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Press!

zanthrus
31st Oct 2018, 14:02
https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/australia-is-getting-a-fleet-of-boeing-737-max-8s-the-same-model-doomed-lion-air-plane/news-story/415b5d24a04e541edd2bf32ce3e10ef9

Really? Even though No ONE has any idea why this aircraft crashed, the press is set on panicking Australian passengers? What a load of S#it!

How about waiting for the resulting investigation?
The cause of the crash could be anything:
Shame on you SHAME SHAME SHAME!
It is IRRESPONSIBLE to put fear in the minds of Australian passengers WITHOUT CREDIBLE EVIDENCE!

Would I travel on Lion Air or Manildo or their other subsidaries? HELL NO!

Would I be worried that VA is buying the 737-8 MAX? No not in the least!

One has NOTHING to do with the other without further evidence to the contrary.

Ixixly
31st Oct 2018, 14:12
You seem to be under the impression that the Media are there to present us with News as opposed to publishing whatever they think will make headlines and get them viewers and thusly money.

Trevor the lover
31st Oct 2018, 22:29
I like the story on one of the channels last night, 9 I think, about the now sadly deceased passenger who texted to his wife a video showing his boarding pass and the aeroplane he was about to board. Very poignant - except the aeroplane in his little video was an A320.

LeadSled
1st Nov 2018, 00:03
I like the story on one of the channels last night, 9 I think, about the now sadly deceased passenger who texted to his wife a video showing his boarding pass and the aeroplane he was about to board. Very poignant - except the aeroplane in his little video was an A320.

Trevor,
Picky, picky!!
Never let the facts spoil a good story.
Tootle pip!!

Far Canel
1st Nov 2018, 00:10
Hang on aren’t all those things with wings call jumbo jets and fly through air pockets

Rodney Rotorslap
1st Nov 2018, 00:35
There was a time not that long ago when TV news reporters tended to get things right on matters relating to helicopters. This was probably because all the stations had their own helicopters with a pilot available to provide in-house advice on all matters helo.

Serious question: Has any pilot body ever given any thought to running a (say) one day aviation training course for media representatives? Mind you there would also be a need for training courses on every other field of human endeavour but at least aviation could lead the way.

YPJT
1st Nov 2018, 01:14
The media already have access to a highly experienced expert on all matters aviation in GT the bag chucker.

neville_nobody
1st Nov 2018, 01:49
You seem to be under the impression that the Media are there to present us with News as opposed to publishing whatever they think will make headlines and get them viewers and thusly money.

Additional to that, the size of your advertising budget will influence an editor's choice of stories that get published and ones that are withheld.

Hydromet
1st Nov 2018, 02:07
Zanthrus you should never expect anything better from anything run/owned by Rupert Murdoch. He started at the bottom and kept digging to reach the depths he is at now.

balance
1st Nov 2018, 03:52
This one is worse...

https://www.9news.com.au/world/2018/10/30/08/40/lion-air-crash-flight-610-update-why-does-a-new-boeing-737-crash

Alpha Whiskey Bravo
1st Nov 2018, 04:24
Why isn't Geoffrey Thomas in the ATSB? He has solved the accident already hasn't he? Why does the ATSB take so long when Geoffrey had it nailed in under 12 hours?

neville_nobody
1st Nov 2018, 04:57
I like how CH 9 think that the 737 MAX is one of the 'most advanced planes'. It is at best 1960's technology/systems/flight controls with a couple of TV screens. It doesn't even have a EICAS system, which is 1970's technology!!!

machtuk
1st Nov 2018, 05:06
I like how CH 9 think that the 737 MAX is one of the 'most advanced planes'. It is at best 1960's technology/systems/flight controls with a couple of TV screens. It doesn't even have a EICAS system, which is 1970's technology!!!

AIRBUS, way of the future hey Nev

porch monkey
1st Nov 2018, 06:15
Hey Nev, just curious you know, in what performance parameter does your all singing and dancing Airbus improve on over the 737, especially since it is a 20 year newer design?

ferris
1st Nov 2018, 06:51
Just picked this up on another thread (Malindo Magic). From the Australian "But he said in the Lion Air crash, it would appear the pilot did all the right things.". That statement, and its unquestioned reporting, has to be up for some sort of prize.

porch monkey
1st Nov 2018, 08:31
Gotta sell them papers, mate!!!

YPJT
1st Nov 2018, 22:58
I might be picky here but I'll give media a bit of credibility in aviation reporting when they stop referring to a flight data recorder as the black box.
Even the news photo in this latest tragedy clearly showed an orange cylindrical shaped item. Neither black, nor a box.

DaveReidUK
1st Nov 2018, 23:36
I might be picky here but I'll give media a bit of credibility in aviation reporting when they stop referring to a flight data recorder as the black box.
Even the news photo in this latest tragedy clearly showed an orange cylindrical shaped item. Neither black, nor a box.

The media tried calling them orange boxes for a while, but the public thought they were talking about greengrocers.

tartare
1st Nov 2018, 23:47
Most journalists are still stuck in the mindset of the 40s and 50s - when design flaws such as the Comet's rectangular windows genuinely did lead to accidents, and knowledge about aerodynamics and airframe construction was still rapidly evolving.
Hence they'll usually focus immediately on the aircraft type, possible `fatal flaws' etc.
Because of this they don't appreciate that modern airliners and high bypass turbofans are some of the safest and most reliable mechanical objects ever designed by human beings.
And that the vast, vast majority of accidents are caused by pilot error, or in rarer cases maintenance or operator oversights.

Eddie Dean
1st Nov 2018, 23:59
Most journalists are still stuck in the mindset of the 40s and 50s - when design flaws such as the Comet's rectangular windows genuinely did lead to accidents, and knowledge about aerodynamics and airframe construction was still rapidly evolving.
Hence they'll usually focus immediately on the aircraft type, possible `fatal flaws' etc.
Because of this they don't appreciate that modern airliners and high bypass turbofans are some of the safest and most reliable mechanical objects ever designed by human beings.
And that the vast, vast majority of accidents are caused by pilot error, or in rarer cases maintenance or operator oversights. How dare you not cow tow to the new Reason paradigm " it must be investigated til everyone shares the blame equally"

bazza stub
2nd Nov 2018, 00:23
I like how the airlines manage to cover malpractice up by making you sign a "media policy", for security purposes of course. The media never get the truth from the airlines and pilots don't want to be summarily shown the door because of a media policy breach.

WingNut60
2nd Nov 2018, 00:56

That story may well have been accurate. The passenger may have erroneously presumed that the aircraft parked at his boarding gate was the one that he was about to board.
Soekarno-Hatta Terminal 1 - he may have been bused to the other side of the airport for boarding after passing through the gate.

neville_nobody
2nd Nov 2018, 01:30
Hey Nev, just curious you know, in what performance parameter does your all singing and dancing Airbus improve on over the 737, especially since it is a 20 year newer design?

One of the advantages the 737 has is that it is built to a different design standard than what the A320 was. Have a look at the amount of Part 25 exemptions granted to a 'new' 737.

porch monkey
2nd Nov 2018, 02:25
Yeah mate I get that, It certainly has a couple of systems that belong in the 60’s, especially that POS 6 pack system. (Thanks Southwest!). I guess I just find it a bit depressing that in terms of performance the 20 year difference between the designs didn’t really produce much performance gain. Still, I suppose that’s true of a lot of later designs really. General work environment excluded, of course!

Berealgetreal
2nd Nov 2018, 07:38
I strongly recommend not reading, listening or watching any of the Australian mainstream media. It’s total rubbish and is a form of brainwashing. Disgraceful bunch of people who behave like drunken children the whole time. Totally embarrassing for an otherwise great nation.

As for commenting on the lion crash they’d be better off sticking with MH370 or whatever it’s called. Riveting. Or maybe telling us how the latest tv host loves her curves.

Mach E Avelli
2nd Nov 2018, 10:35
Unrelenting TV reporter at the Lion Air crash site this morning told viewers it is called a black box even though it was clearly not black. He explained that it got that name because it is recovered in a burnt and charred state. Apparently when aeroplanes plummet, they always catch on fire.
How do these morons concoct this crap?
The original FDR was indeed contained in a black box....about 70 years ago. About the time we referred to radios as ‘the wireless’.
But I was interested in yesterday’s ABC interview with a Lion Air honcho at their training facility. Great store was placed on their excellent simulator training where the show pony crew were dealing calmly and competently with a relatively minor airspeed disagreement. Not rehearsed, of course.
Looked to me like they are paving the way to blaming the Captain. Obviously nothing lacking in Lion Air’s training, hey?

DaveReidUK
2nd Nov 2018, 12:28
Unrelenting TV reporter at the Lion Air crash site this morning told viewers it is called a black box even though it was clearly not black.

The media tried calling them orange boxes for a while, but the public started confusing pilots with greengrocers.

machtuk
3rd Nov 2018, 04:16
Remember the grubby media are playing to the masses not just a hand full of Airline pilots in a nation of 26 Million Mr & Mrs Joe Citizens. We may know better but most are clueless & believe whatever is said on TV, just ask the Kardashians !

3rd Nov 2018, 12:56
The media tried calling them orange boxes for a while, but the public started confusing pilots with greengrocers.

Are the press that dumb that they have not figured out that they are called "Flight Data Recorder (FDR)" and "Cockpit Voice Recorder (CVR)"

If the media starts to use the correct terms, I may pay a little more attention to their so called "reporting"

pilotchute
3rd Nov 2018, 14:50
When you work with people who think "A Current Affair" and "Today Tonight" is accurate reporting you will realise that facts are secondary to drama.

Lead Balloon
3rd Nov 2018, 22:34
'Professional' pilots criticising other pilots seems to be SOP on PPRuNe, or in D&G at least. It's a public forum that the world can read.

mattyj
4th Nov 2018, 08:40
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/271x543/751167e1_c528_41f4_a669_8e34a60d5bda_0c105b3f391e231f16cb08a 2cfd6c4d936adfe92.jpeg

4th Nov 2018, 12:35
mattyj

Ya got a couple incorrect. I can see a couple Lears.

itsnotthatbloodyhard
4th Nov 2018, 20:18
mattyj

Ya got a couple incorrect. I can see a couple Lears.

And also a Giant Hercules Bomber.

Matt48
7th Nov 2018, 07:00

What about the one where some tv station had said that MH 370 would " struggle to maintain altitude once the fuel was exhausted", LOL