PDA

View Full Version : Ras Al Khaimah OMRK

Gulfstreamaviator
31st Oct 2018, 12:52
Greetings Ppruners.

Think its about time RAK airport has a thread. A very under utilised UAE asset. On a 'good day' and if the traffic on National Paint bridge is kind you can be in Dubai in 30 minutes. Very good weather record, huge runway, no traffic and some interesting new scheduled routes. I wonder if there is call for a RAK London to avoid the scrum of Dubai?

Was based there for several years operating a GV for the Sheik and it was great fun.

Jetscream 32
31st Oct 2018, 13:11
Hey G,

RAK is indeed a great place, I used to live in the Cove Rotana resort working for Sheik Saud in other "matters"... the close proximity to the Oman border at Al Jeer and up to the Musandam - incredible - I was there when it was used for R&R out of 2010-14 Bagram - massive opportunities like you say and the 301 is a quick road.... but veey bizarre at some hours of the evening / morning with "picnics" on the hard shoulder dunes.... what a blast and great memories!

TBSC
31st Oct 2018, 14:30
OMRK's three-letter code is RKT.
RAK is for Marrakech.

Ivan aromer
31st Oct 2018, 15:10
>IIRC A few years ago a Jet2 75 did a wet lease there for RAK Airways. I think the crew quite enjoyed the Sun!

Gulfstreamaviator
1st Nov 2018, 08:06
Hi TBSC - sorry if I confused you, "RAK" is what the locals call the area/country, we have RAK everything! (RAK Mall, RAK Bank, RAK Ceramics blah blah) - I wasn't meaning the 3 letter airport code - my bad!

Jetscream 32
1st Nov 2018, 08:43
You forgot his cash cow.... RAK Rock!! - blow those mountains up!