PDA

View Full Version : Dress for Address

inthecountry
31st Oct 2018, 09:11
Hi All,

Bit of generic guidance if i may kindly request. I am reading a memorial poem at a local theatre this weekend, also included are a number of other poems by local children and a 100 year old chap. A few WW1/1910's songs and other various memorial pieces inc last post at the end, all in aid of the British Legion. I have been asked to speak in No 1HD with medals etc, but my question is to do with hat and gloves, so do i walk on to the stage hat on, gloves on, hat under arm, gloves in hand, hat on and then off when reading poem, does one salute post reading to a general audience? Is there any protocol, dont want to offend and equally dont want present looking an a*se. If there is any military or ex mil in the audience it will only be our army colleagues, so certainly do not want to present the wrong image!

Guidance gratefully accepted!

Timelord
31st Oct 2018, 10:38
I’d say it’s the same as reading a lesson in church. No hat, gloves or salute. Stand to attention for the last post.

Tankertrashnav
31st Oct 2018, 11:37
Ditto for Timelord's recommendation. No hat eliminates the salute/no salute question.

Bill Macgillivray
31st Oct 2018, 21:09
Agree with Timelord and TTN. on this. No hat or gloves.