PDA

View Full Version : HeliOps 2019 Calendar Giveaway

KiwiNedNZ
31st Oct 2018, 08:28
Okay trying this again with a different question and a couple of rules around it :O

I have put aside 250 of our 2019 HeliOps calendars to give away for Xmas presents this year. I have been part of this industry since I was a kid and I still have the passion for it even though recently I lost two more very good friends in the crash of an MD500 here in NZ last week. Doing what I do enables me to capture some amazing images of the things that most of you do - and every year I try and collect about 30 of the best images and compile them into this annual calendar we do. Its a privilege and a pleasure to be involved in this industry, capturing moments that will last a lifetime. So thats why each year I give away some of these calendars to members here and hope you reflect on this amazing industry each time you turn over a new month or go to scribble something on your calendar. As you add your post to this thread please take a moment to remember my friends killed here in NZ (Nick Wallis, Paul Hondelink and Scott Theobald), as well as Eric Swaffer the pilot killed in the AW169 crash. We are involved with an unforgiving industry - so please be safe out there and wherever you are raise a glass to absent friends.

The task for this years post is very simple - make a post outlining your most memorable moment involving a helicopter either as a pilot, crewman, owner, operator, or in whatever role you are involved in this industry with. Dont just post a three or four word post or these will just get deleted. Have a think about what you write as inspiration to others, or for others to chuckle at. With all the recent tragedy out there its nice for people to get some enjoyment from ones post or a chuckle.

Once you have made your post please send me a PM with name or username and postal address and I will send you off the 2019 edition of the HeliOps calendar. Those who responded from the other thread dont need to resend me your address.

So thanks everyone, fly safe out there and be that extra little bit careful.

Below are some of the images on this years edition of the calendar.

https://i.imgur.com/UpY16bx.jpg

patatas
31st Oct 2018, 22:32
First of all, thank you Ned for this opportunity and the chance to have access to your calendar! I love them and my kids love to see your photos!

My most memorable situation in a helicopter is, without a doubt, my first solo flight. Everyone, especially at the beginning come accross that moment where we put in doubt our ability to become a pilot. We think this is for super humans until we start our journey and then, one day, you find yourself alone in a helicopter. What a feeling! From having no idea to be able to fly alone. What an accomplishment and this moment I will carry with me for a long time!!

JBL99
31st Oct 2018, 22:46
I think we are in an industry where we never stop learning. I remember when I was a newly qualified PPL(H) and took a friend out for a trip from Bristol to Old Sarum for some breakfast.

I struggled all the way with the flight, and couldn't understand why I was not smooth with my inputs. The flight didn't feel "comfortable" for me and I just put it down to nerves on my part as I'd only recently qualified. I made my calls into Old Sarum and made an approach to one side of the active runway for a nice approach. As we neared the ground, I was really struggling to control the aircraft in the hover, it was like I'd never flown a helicopter before. The beads of sweat were appearing on my brow, and my passenger looked a little nervous. I assured him I'd have it sorted shortly, and not to worry.

I finally managed to get control of the beast and made a reasonable crossing of the active runway, to the parking area. As I settled on the grass, my tension lifted a little and I began to calm down. I grabbed the shutdown checklist and read "frictions on" - as I read that and went to apply them, I realised I'd flown the whole flight with both frictions on!

My learning is the last point on the departure checklist is pretty much "frictions off"!!

Never done it since then!

garly1
1st Nov 2018, 00:37
First job as a CPL-H flying passengers around the Okavango Delta in Botswana looking for the usual suspects, Elephants, Hippos, Giraffes etc when I came across something I'd never seen before and realised it was a Whitr Rhino! Considering how endangered they are it was pretty special and the excitement from my guests both in the air and back on the ground was pretty cool. Times like this you remember your getting paid to do things that most people pay to do!

Gray 14
1st Nov 2018, 14:27
I guess my most memorable experience would have to be graduating from US Army Flight School. It was my high school dream to be an Army Aviator and the course was anything but easy. The feeling of accomplishment cannot be compared to anything else in my life and the shiny wings on my uniform were priceless.

chopper07
1st Nov 2018, 15:38
Great calendar, as usual Ned :D

From my first helicopter solo at 16 (before I was allowed to drive a vehicle), to taking my first passenger flying (my father), to teaching people to fly, to flying various members of royal familes, and heads of state, to (of course) flying a 189 with Ned in a 139 trying to get that ‘perfect’ sunset shot in a sandier part of the world....I feel very lucky and privileged to have the office views that I do. Although a fixed wing career is very tempting right now, I doubt that it will ever put a smile on my face like a helicopter does...

why_not
2nd Nov 2018, 08:30
My most memorable experience was during my time as a CFI flying out of Elmonte Airport in CA.

I had otherwise good student that got too confident over time.

I got too relaxed over time… a bad combo..

One sunny morning we were flying the normal landing pattern in a R22..

We had done several nice rounds the same morning.

The student was a little high on Base and wanted to descend faster.

So he.. ROLLED OF Throttle… horn went on.. and I went active.. also verbally…,

He got scared and locked totally up on the controls..

- dumping the collective and flaring was hard and too slow..

RPM dropped like a hammer and stayed extremely low.. - would NOT come up for a LOONG time..

We were on base the ground came very close very fast..

Needless to say I managed to gain RPM to survive... But I did have nightmares weeks after..

-will never forget this flight..

I guess I had a little luck left in my bucket..

Stay safe out there!!

HeliboyDreamer
2nd Nov 2018, 10:09
My most memorable moment was my first solo flight. Like everybody on this forum this was and achievement coming from a childhood objective.

I remember flying out with my instructor to area Delta (Titusville) on a very beautiful morning sunny day, then we landed in the middle of the field. My instructor, who sadly passed away in a helicopter crash a few month later in a training flight took his video camera and wished me good luck. Suddenly I looked to my left and there was no one next to me. I was here on my own, engine running, T&P’s in the green and ready to go.

If I would be totally honest I was really scared, I run the checks twice and then decided to go for it. Self-reassurance came from the fact that my instructor wouldn’t have signed me off if he had felt that I couldn’t do it, also I have done it many time before without input from him so why not doing it the same way this time? I left off in the hover and looked for him outside in the field and started when I have seen the thumb up from him. I did the usual 360 degree turn and then transitioned to a quick circuit at 500’ followed by a very smooth landing on the grass at the same exact spot where I came from. I was so proud of that landing!

My instructor came to me from the right with a big smile on his face that I will never forget, we shake hands thoroughly he jumped in and we returned back to Space Coast, I will never forget this day.

Ten years down the line with a still valid CPL(H)/IR I sadly never managed to make it a professional career, I still think of my instructor and buddy Colm from time to time, not a good a finish for me but I don’t regret any of it.

Old Farang
3rd Nov 2018, 03:40
Back in 1975 I was fleet engineer for an offshore supply boat company. The job involved being sent around SE Asia to various areas where we had rig supply boats operating to sort out problems.

We had one ship based in Brunei working for BSP. Shell had staff based in what was then called Saigon. (Ho Chi Minh) With the imminent fall of the city they were desperate to extract their staff, and in the general confusion could not guarantee available commercial flights. So a big floating barge was organised and the supply boat put on standby to tow it to Vietnam. Thinking that I had enough time to complete whatever it was I was there for I went to sleep on board. Woke up the following morning to find the tug underway and out at sea towing the barge!

The operation was designed to provide an offshore landing pad and refuelling point for one of the S61 helicopters from Brunei to be used as a shuttle to extract remaining staff from Saigon. For the life of me I cannot recall if the S61 was carried on the deck of the barge or not, but I think it may have been flown over. We defiantly had many drums of fuel on board the barge.

We stood off Saigon for several days if I recall correctly, much to the chagrin of the brass nearby in the US 7th fleet, that kept up endless harassment on the radio!
Shell manage to extract all of their staff via commercial flights, so the S61 was ordered to return to Brunei. I managed to convince the Captain that I needed to return to Brunei also, so he agreed to take me with them. For sure all of those pilots are long gone from BSP, so what happened next should not incriminate anybody.

It is around 750 nautical miles from where we were back to Brunei, with nothing of any use in between. So they loaded a couple of drums of fuel on board, removed the belly fuel tank covers from inside the cabin, and away we went! It is amazing the small things that stick in peoples minds, and apart from still having a vivid picture in my mind of the engineer decanting the fuel into the tanks, the other thing is one of the pilots yelling out to the other one; "you had better pull up a bit or you might hit the periscope of some submarine"! We arrived back in Brunei without incident, and I also recall the Captain saying; "we have one of the Australians with us". Do not recall that being any problem, but I doubt that it would happen today.

So Ned, that is my most memorable experience. I will just add that I went on to both own and commercially fly helicopters a few years later. Cheers

jimf671
3rd Nov 2018, 04:36
After the Leicester crash, and then yesterday's ismr press release about SAR helicopter support, I need cheering up. A HeliOps calendar would do the job nicely!

One dark cloudy November night a few years ago, an MRT exercise with a RAF helicopter was curtailed because it was too dark in the corries even for goggles. I was getting a lift back with the helicopter and the light conditions meant we couldn't get back across the hills the way we had come. So we set off down the coast to probably go all the way round.

So we're 1500' above the sea and I am at a bubble window with one tube of a pair of goggles barely able to make out the mountains several miles off on the port side. Smell of burning. Ach, it's an old aircraft: they smell. Lights come on. Yes, the cabin really is full of smoke. Everyone looking for the source. Lifejacket? Oh yes, eff'in lifejacket!! Panic over: radio power supply had committed suicide. Power off, fire out, door open. Breathe! Captain on intercom, "Are you all right back there Jim?" "Per Ardua." says I.

Back home for tea and medals. :-)

thechopper
3rd Nov 2018, 09:50
Mesmerized
Returning from an oil rig MedEvac off Vung Tau Vietnam in the mid 90s. Starlit sky and dozens of fishing boats fishing with lamps some 20 miles offshore with oil rig flares in the distance. Are we upside down or what? Fascinating!

FC80
3rd Nov 2018, 11:17
Quite a few years ago, as a wet behind the ears baby North Sea pilot, I ended up on shift on a Tuesday morning going to one of the rigs in the Piper Field.

The outbound flight was uneventful, I took a quiet moment in the radio chatter and paperwork to admire the sun coming up and soak in my self-satisfaction at managing to wangle my way into the LHS of an S-92.

After we landed on and offloaded, out came the HLO with the usual tattered blue bag full of hot lard - does life get any sweeter? Anyway, instead of the usual tap on the shoulder and thumbs up gesture as he left the bag of vegan-friendly health food for consumption on the homebound leg, our man gestures to us indicating he wanted a word -

"One of your passengers today is the OIM - he's leaving us for the last time after 18 years! Is there any chance you could do a flyby for him?"

"Of course, no problem." says the Captain.

Five minutes later and the pax are their bags are on, the aircraft is secure and the checks are done - 'Piper Traffic, time 51, XXXX lifting for Aberdeen'

We're airborne, and lazily looping round the back of the rig, positioning for a slow flyby not far above deck level - as we get closer we see about 20-30 of the rig crew have come to pay their respects to their offgoing boss.. they're all huddled together on the helideck waving merrily! Aww, isn't that nice :)

As we get closer though, there's a shuffle of activity from the assembled oilies...

Jackets and overalls are flying in every direction as the group make the switch from waving to baring their hairy white arses Braveheart style at their erstwhile leader! :} :} :}

I could barely fly with the tears in my eyes and the uproarious laughter from the back was audible over the whine of the aircraft.

Genuinely one of the funniest moments I can recall in all my years of flying - I've had more spectacular flights, more fraught flights, more taxing flights and more worthwhile flights but as far as sheer entertainment that's one of my favourites.

The OIM came up to the front of the aircraft as he diesmbarked, shook us both by the hand and thanked us heartily - it was nice to be able to have made his last flight a memorable one.

RIP to those who have lost their lives in this industry over the years.

KiwiNedNZ
6th Nov 2018, 02:52
Anyone else interested for these or are we done with them. Cheers. Ned

Apprentice Yoda
6th Nov 2018, 04:43
Back in the eighties (yes I am that old) I was in the back seat of a BO105D. The drivers up front were doing a line check and I was along for the ride to observe a Decca Navigator snag (yes, really, I am that old). We were flying to an exploration rig which had opened the deck especially for us (this was a Sunday). As I thank you, we were carry the Sunday papers out to them.
When we landed on, the pilot asked me to supervise the unloading and to grab the nav bag out of the back, which I duly did.
Once strapped in again, he asked me to find the Aberdeen area chart. Head down in the back, we lifted off the deck and as we started to move forward, I heard an engine wind down. I looked up to be faced with the surface of the sea where therer should have been horizon. After the first shot of adrenaline, I noticed a hand on one of the throttles. The bastards had briefed while I was outside and didn't deem it necessary to mention the fact to the engineer once he returned. I am sure the CVR had a few choice words on it that day.

stilllearning
6th Nov 2018, 16:57
I can recall many happy experiences in my heli-life but I guess that one of my best feelings was when I graduated at Fort Eustis with my AMOC and test pilot course on CH 47 Chinook...
As an NCO in the Spanish Army I was lucky enough to be selected to be an Army Pilot but after a few years, there were no officers available with the required english proficiency level to take that course (AMOC/Test pilot) in the US Army so Battallion Commander had to relay on me and away I went. After the course, I happened to be, and still I might be, the only NCO that has ever taken that AMOC/Test pilot course on CH47 in the US Transportation School around the world. That made me really happy !!!
More that 40 years flying helos and stilllearning .... fly safe.

pilotmike
6th Nov 2018, 22:37
Great pics!

My most memorable rotary moment was one to counter the general feeling that weddings and helicopters don't mix, on another thread regarding the recent US wedding day tragedy.

For my wedding day, I arranged to fly my best man in to my wedding venue, a country home, with prior permission to land on the front lawn, just in front of the room for the ceremony. After the wedding ceremony, I had the pleasure of flying my new bride out to our honeymoon hotel. Thankfully the mission was a complete success!

Knowing I would have to do a towering T/O from the lawn to clear trees etc for the return trip, I'd discussed and agreed in advance the very specific instructions only to fill 1/2 to 2/3rd tanks. How very annoying arriving to pick up the helicopter to make the trip to the venue to find it filled to the brim. And then they told me they'd somehow mislaid the key. Not good to hear when 60 miles / 90 minutes drive away from my wedding, with just 60 minutes before the booked wedding time, to pre-flight, and to fly there. Luckily I spotted the missing keys hanging out of the door lock as I was pre-flighting... only the return trip towering T/O with full tanks to worry about now.

Thankfully my bride to be was very slim, but I still felt obliged to warn her to ease off the wedding breakfast to guarantee maximum performance later on!

I'll avoid the obvious gag about the performance of the chopper on the day, and I'm delighted to report I'm still happily married, and will always look back on that day as very special day - flying. And the wedding was quite good too.

beebo
7th Nov 2018, 03:20
Thanks for the cool offer Ned, much appreciated.
I used to work on cruise ships in the Alaskan waters for a number of years. During the time I spent there, I used to love the port of Skagway the best as the helicopters departed very close to the cruise ships. Many, many years later and off ships, looking for a career change, I decided to learn to fly. 7 years after earning my licenses and certificates, I landed a job for that exact same company in Skagway, flying excited tourists off the ships and up onto the ice-field. I worked there 2 years, and although losing a very good friend in my second season, that job and fulfilling a dream is my most memorable of all my flying memories.

JBL99
7th Nov 2018, 12:10
Calendar arrived this morning, absolutely brilliant, brightened up my morning on a dull rainy day! Many thanks Ned

Thracian
7th Nov 2018, 17:36
Ned, thanks for giving us the chance for getting hold onto those beautiful calendar every year.
And RIP for all your lost friends in the recent accidents.

My most memorable moment was the aftermath of a simple and small tour i took in a H300 with a friend. On departure, we were allowed to shortcut the taxi directly from the apron over the free meadow area to mid-runway and turn directly from the hover taxi to takeoff run.
As weather was fine and traffic was none, I took this opportunity and my friend was shooting a small movie of this departure with his digicam.
A few days later, he made that video available to me. It was just a common takeoff, nothing special, but with the sound of the old and famous "Magnum" series, it made a lot more impression.
For me, it was a great pleasure to see how enthusiastic other people can get, if a heli pilot just does his job.
My learning from that event: Just stay to the usual and common stuff, because for others, it might be thrilling enough. There's absolutely no need to make an extra big hype of our work/hobby.

Olaf

aa777888
7th Nov 2018, 21:13
Calendar arrived! Thank you again! :)

jimf671
8th Nov 2018, 14:16
Arrived today. As usual, a beautiful piece of work. Thanks Ned.

John Eacott
8th Nov 2018, 18:10
Ned, many thanks for the calendar: stunning photos as always, and a very generous gesture to share with Rotorheads around the world :ok:

10th Nov 2018, 11:26
Mine arrived this week as well - many thanks Ned:ok:

twinstar_ca
10th Nov 2018, 17:53
Mine arrived yesterday.... outstanding product again, Ned... :ok:

Old Farang
11th Nov 2018, 01:43
Mine arrived yesterday also. Thank you very much Ned. Brilliant photos! Besides a good photographic eye, you must also be a good judge of pilots!. It is no mean feat to put a cameraman in the "right" spot.

KiwiNedNZ
11th Nov 2018, 05:42
Glad everyone is getting then ok,

Anyone else going to add to this thread and get themselves a calendar or do we lock this off for the 2019 one.

soggyboxers
11th Nov 2018, 10:49
Many thanks for the calendar Ned - I love it. Anyone who wants a really nice 2019 calendar with lots of beautiful photos would be crazy to miss out on your kind offer.

KiwiNedNZ
11th Nov 2018, 14:02
Soggyboxers & All, thanks and this years one is prob the best. Might be the last year we do this, 1500 views and only 20 people want the calendars.

twinstar_ca
11th Nov 2018, 16:15
:eek::{:{ That would be an absolute shame!!!

KiwiNedNZ
11th Nov 2018, 20:42
Twinstar - not much point offering them out there if no one wants them, might as well just make a list of the 20 that did and send them direct next year

Yakking
12th Nov 2018, 00:41
I have been writing my "Most memorable moments" for quite a few years now in order to receive one of your Calendars (often on an Australian site), but I have never written about my MOST MEMORABLE MOMENT" which would have to be my first flight in a helicopter.

Like a lot of people I knew I wanted to be a helicopter pilot from when i was at least ten years old. When it came time to do a weeks 'work experience' at school I contacted a local Heli Operator (Jayrow) enquiring about completing it with them. They said yes and I went out there bright eyed and bushy-tailed. I ended up spending the week building a Horse float for the boss with the engineers. But that didn't phase me, I was in a hangar with helicopters (the closest I'd ever been to one before).

On my last day there, they had a local TV networks AS350 in for a Track and Balance. I was given the task of washing the machine afterwards. Needless to say I was wrapped! Afterwards the pilot came out and said "well i better take you for a flight now that you've washed it for me". We only did a circuit, but I was hooked! That first feeling of hovering and then when he nosed it forward and I was looking at the ground as we departed, I was blown away at how cool it all was. 13yrs later I got my license and now 25yrs later I'm still recounting the story. What I learnt from that day and still try to always remind myself of is that; even if flying Helicopters is still my job and sometimes losses a little of it's shine, for the people in the back it could be their first flight in the helicopter and they may be experiencing what I was 25yrs ago. As a result, I never try to diminish the experience of flying whenever I have unknown people on board.

Old Farang
12th Nov 2018, 02:38
Afterwards the pilot came out and said "well i better take you for a flight now that you've washed it for me".
Yakking---I guess that would have been Alvan T...…?

Matvey
12th Nov 2018, 03:39
Wasn't expecting this thread until a little later on!

Earlier this year, I had the opportunity to contribute to a project representing what could be an entirely new phase of vertical flight. Taming the costs will be (thankfully) someone else's problem, but designing a solution that combined safety considerations with operational flexibility was one of my top moments in the industry.

pilot_tolip
12th Nov 2018, 10:08
Great photos in the calendar. Mine arrived today. Thanks!

FC80
12th Nov 2018, 15:43
Calendar arrived - brilliant.

You’re a gent, Ned! Surprised so few people are taking you up on this generous offer.

Nubian
13th Nov 2018, 12:23
Ned,

If you've not stopped accepting contributions, I'll add one of mine.
My most memorable moment was my private check ride. I was very nervous before the flight, as in the prep for the ride, I had been given an impression that the examiner was very strict and my thought about my own performance was not very high. The theory part was ok, and I got the go-ahead to prepare for the flight. The OAT was around 40C which did not make me sweat any less! Off we went and the longer into the flight with errors here and there, I was sure that I had failed at some point. The examiner told me to head back and land for the de-brief after about an hour which seemed a lot longer. He jumped out and told me very short to shut down and meet him at the office we started out in once I was done. I was prepared to hear that I had to do a re-take, but the debriefing was very short: A handshake and a simple: Congratulations!
The sensation of relief was incredible, and is something I will always remember.

Thanks again for your generous offer! A real pity if it's the last year for this.

An early Happy holidays, in any case!

thechopper
13th Nov 2018, 15:08
Thanks Ned,
calendar made it to the Fatherland today. Great pictures again .
Fly safe
El Finz

Rwy in Sight
13th Nov 2018, 20:38
Many thanks for a wonderful calendar for this year too. It helps me understand the importance of the industry. All those image and the effort to be so nicely presented.

Happy 2019 to KiwiNedNZ (https://www.pprune.org/members/415445-kiwinednz) and all of you in this forum.

Flying Bull
13th Nov 2018, 22:26
Also many thanks for the calender and the work of supplying!
Mine arrived today :-)

vaqueroaero
14th Nov 2018, 00:26
I've only just seen this post! Hope I'm not too late.....

I was the first person to fly a civilian helicopter in Armenia, a Bell 429. After a few days flying with crappy weather, the weather suddenly cleared up and the scenery was spectacular. I got to see Mt. Ararat from a perspective that very few have. And there's the rub. I have been blessed enough to have flown helicopters around the world, from the Atacama Desert in Chile to the coastline of West Africa. It has allowed me to experience things that few others have. So therefore it's pretty hard to pick out a single event. Would it be watching humpback whales breaching off shore in Ghana? Flying the entire coastline of the Ivory Coast at 500 feet? Helping flood victims in Mexico? Watching the sunrise in Oklahoma? Working in the driest place on the planet? Too many memorable moments to choose I'm afraid.

track&balance
15th Nov 2018, 09:57
Just as some other posts have mentioned I have so many memorable moments. However, I can still remember the three week trip I did when I was building hours to get my commercial licence.

I rented a R22 for the trip and took an unsuspecting/trusting friend to fly as many hours as I could. Some days I couldn't believe how beautiful the country was from above.

Other days when the weather was a little challenging for an inexperienced pilot I couldn't believe it when we made it to our destination in one piece. This trip was to be the first of many awesome trips. The really wonderful thing is once I got my commercial licence I no longer had to fund these amazing trips.

Goe4
16th Nov 2018, 23:21
Hi Ned, Sorry I'm so late in submitting my piece. Unfortunately I'm not a pilot although as a young girl was flying gliders! Now a mum of a pilot and an aeronautical engineering student! Last year's calendar is hanging above the desk, hopefully I can hang next year's there too! Last year I told you about my helicopter trip over New York, thanks sister! Unfortunately, I haven’t been up since so I have to go back to a few memories that I have which, as a mum of a pilot and an aeronautical engineering student, is quite easy! The first was in Austria, we were in St Johann, near Kitzbuehel, gliding in the summer. I was ground crew and one afternoon spotted an Austrian Air Force helicopter rescuing a cow from the mountains. This was a big deal for the farmer, and good training for the pilot and crew! All landed safely.

Another memory was with the boys, near Vienna, there was an open day in the local sugar-beet factory. Off we went, they were offering helicopter trips, so what does a mum of two flying freaks do? Off we went and did a circuit. It was great, although I think the youngest was a bit apprehensive! He was quite young!!

The last memory was at the Caernarvon Air show in Wales in the mid 90’s. The weather was awful! Low clouds and strong winds! Typical for that area. What was there? A SAR helicopter which one could get in and explore. The crew were really helpful and let the boys sit in the command seat and answered any questions they had. It was really super. Thanks once again to any crew doing this. You should have seen their faces when we got out! Then the Red Arrows did some aerobatics! Sensational despite the weather!

These are my memories with helicopters, which I see as an essential part of our lives, be it with the police, army, navy and air forces or in rescue work or in daily living. I wish all pilots safe journeys wherever you are.

Thinking of all your friends Ned, and also Danny42C, all so sad.

KiwiNedNZ
17th Nov 2018, 06:39
Offer is still here if anyone is interested.

JimL
17th Nov 2018, 06:59
Hi Ned,

My most memorable moment, other than those associated with many hours spent in flying in many roles, including aerial work, police support operations, VIP but mainly offshore, was the moment I was awarded the MBE by the Queen - for services to 'aviation safety'.

Jim

Lude-og
17th Nov 2018, 07:03
Well I think I've already gone through my bag of old stories in previous years but I finally moved back down under this past year and finally got flying again!
I was very fortunate this past year to take part in some very interesting flights but the one that sticks out most to me was one involving a man who was literally ticking off his bucket list. I got the chance to fulfil one of his last wishes by taking him somewhere it would have been impossible for him to access given the severity of his condition. Because of the flight, him and his wife were able to experience one of their favourite pastimes together one last time. I since learned of his passing and I was so glad that I was able to help. The magic of helicopters made it possible and it was a truly humbling experience.

Many thanks again Ned!

GrayHorizonsHeli
17th Nov 2018, 17:43
My most memorable experience showed me the true value of a helicopter when faced with tragedy.
we were not a dedicated air ambulance, but our base 206 was outfitted with a stretcher kit.
one day an urgent call came to the base manager and the helicopter was requested by local paramedics to fly a critical patient from a car accident to the hospital.
I recall fuelling the helicopter while the base manager got his end of tasks readied in a hurry As soon as the second paramedic crew arrived at our base, the helicopter was running they loaded up and they were gone.
I heard nothing for a couple hours until the slap of the rotor blades approached on final.
the helicopter was a mess, but apparently the flight was successful in getting the patient to hospital and into the care needed.
the paramedics returned later to gather their things and clean up.
I felt nothing but pride for doing my part and that day and respected everyone else who did theirs. Helicopters are amazing tools, yet those that maintain them, fly them, or are associated in any way with them, create a team effort that made a difference that day, and over and over again every day around the world.

Agile
19th Nov 2018, 00:41
Of course helicopters generate exceptional experiences. there is another experience I enjoy as pilot: "the bond with the machine"
yes, as a pilot, on the ground I prepare for the unexpected, in flight I try to stay alert and aware ready to act on unforeseen events.

That said, from the minute I come to a hover all worries go away, am I afraid to fly on a collection of single-point-failure metal parts?
without a doubt, absolutely not! because the machine become part of you.

Once back on the ground, I enjoy touching the tail rotor gear box, just warm from providing good service to a safely completed flight.
its like saying thank you to a good friend to whom you trusted your life.

sorry for the emotional strangeness

Thanks Ned, gorgeous picture as always.

HeliboyDreamer
19th Nov 2018, 08:58
Calendar arrived, many thanks. Looking really good

gazpad
19th Nov 2018, 09:21
First of all thanks to Ned for this awesome offer. I enjoy every single one of your photos.

I'm reading this thread from the first day. I'm a PPL (H) student and my experiences are still limited, nevertheless reading all the other posts of people with decades of experience makes this thread very special and worth to visit everyday.

My most memorable moment so far was the first hovering autorotation. Before that I tried the make every touchdown as soft as possible with the intention to not bend anything and be able to reuse the aircraft afterwards.
So when the instructor told me about his plans to do some hover autos, I started to get nervous a little. I thought chances are higher that something might turn out wrong today.
After we did a couple of these, some softer and some not so soft, I was convinced that the helicopter doesn't just fall apart even after a firm touchdown.
Still prefer soft touchdowns... hope to get used to them soon!

Decredenza
20th Nov 2018, 04:03
Thanks Ned for the generous calendar offer. Last year's one holds a very special place on the safety board at the office

As far as memorable moments go it could be the fact of having to park in the bus and stay in/near the helicopter for 8 long dreary boring stupid hours while the forestry crew trims the bushes under the powerline. The safety "experts" think this is the best way to go about creating a safe environment (in case someone gets an ow-ee the response time is 10 minutes faster) - little do they know the long day of doing nothing makes the pilots suicidal.

Or maybe its buying a house in a town I have been asked to move to and then two months later getting laid off.

Or maybe its flying the DMZ in Iraq and Kuwait for the UN with military observers from 31 different countries and having beers in the evening (in Iraq) with the Norwegian nurses.

Or maybe its flying through spectacular glaciated mountains with towering granite cliffs and spires right beside me.

Or maybe its getting good enough with a long line that I am able to put the hook in the outstretched hand of the powerline technician as he stands on the tower steel 150' off the ground with 500 kV in the wire below him.

Or maybe its realizing that I have been lucky enough to experience it all and have the ability to appreciate and share it with others who know of what I speak.

Thanks Ned.

Awesome project.

wardy20
20th Nov 2018, 10:49
Hi Ned, firstly your work is getting better and better each year. And if you're in Southern Africa at any point, come and see us in Botswana.

The most memorable moment for me happened this year on an aerial filming job for a wildlife production. We had leased an aircraft for the job and the dual pedals on the co-pilots side could not be locked in place. Thankfully I was flying with a very experienced director in the co-pilot seat and they were well aware of the safety aspect. Then on the second day of shooting, in an OGE hover at 7000ft, the director went to reposition themselves in their seat and in doing so, their right foot slipped forward and hit full right pedal. Thankfully we recovered it quickly. And then the bad language began............ It only took about 6 hours for the heart rate to return to normal! Lesson learned.

R22 HEAVY
27th Nov 2018, 22:52
My most memorable experience regarding helicopters was while climbing a mountain just north of Vancouver harbour while on holiday, on reaching the summit to my surprise there was an operator offering helicopter flights around the mountain range. Having never been in one before and having always had a passion for helicopters since a small boy (whirlybirds days) how could one refuse such an offer. Well as they say the rest is history. On arriving back in the UK the long arduous war of attrition started on my desire to become a helicopter pilot.

Many decades later after numerous set-backs and up hill struggles I'm still flying and still loving every minute of it as if it was that day in Vancouver, long may it live.

An early Merry Christmas to everyone.

Thanks Ned.

JimL
28th Nov 2018, 08:00
Thanks Ned - much appreciated.

Jim

Goe4
29th Nov 2018, 16:42
Calendar arrived today, super photos as ever! Thank you very much indeed Ned for your generous offer.

I wish you all safe flights, a merry Christmas and a happy New Year 2019,

Lis

Thracian
6th Dec 2018, 06:47
Calendar arrived yesterday.
Great pics, Ned.

Many thanks, and keep them coming, those calendars ;-)

Merry Christmas

Thracian

Nubian
6th Dec 2018, 18:57
Got the calendar today.
Great pictures as always!

Thank you very much.

Merry Christmas, Ned.

vaqueroaero
6th Dec 2018, 20:42
Calendar made it to east central Florida. Thanks Ned!

T S W
7th Dec 2018, 23:01
Hi Ned, I'd also like to add to the list of appreciation for what you do.

One of the most memorable moments would have to be having access to a helicopter to fly some family and friends fishing in remote northern Aus. Daylight, 90% humidity, turn of the tide, 30 Bara in 45min. 2 people full time filleting couldn't keep up with 3 people fishing had to stop for fear of not being able to carry it all home. It was a reminder of how lucky we are to do what we do, the amazing things we can see and do from a helicopter majority don't get to do from the ground.

stilllearning
8th Dec 2018, 09:37
Calendar arrived yesterday. Awsome pictures !!!! Thanks a lot Ned.

horizon7573
11th Dec 2018, 20:39
My very first time visting this site, and I must say that I like what I'm seening so far. I would like to get one of your calendar for my home and if I can receive several copy of the calendar I'll pass them on to family and friends as a small gift. Thanks

KiwiNedNZ
11th Dec 2018, 23:45
Horizon7573 - May wish you read the original post.

gazpad
12th Dec 2018, 07:56
Thank you a lot for this generous offer Ned!

Calendar arrived and quality of pictures and print is outstanding.

Pleasure to look at every time!

helideck
15th Dec 2018, 07:41
Hi Ned!

One of my most memorable moments was the first time i flew a full down auto rotation in a 22. Scary as hell but amazing fun at the smae time!

Have a great christmas!

KiwiNedNZ
26th Dec 2018, 23:29
Got 20 left before they are completely out of stock until the 2020 one comes out. So if anyone else wants one, follow the rules, make a post and send me a PM so I can send one out before I head off overseas on the 4th.

Hope everyone had a good Christmas.

Ned

SASless
27th Dec 2018, 06:42
I suppose one of my most memorable moments was upon encountering Ned and mistaking him for a Statesman of some sort.

It was a blessing in a left handed way in that I determined upon a few moments watching Ned that I decided my People Skills were not as impressive as Ned's.

Failing to pick up on his accent....I mistook him for an Australian Bogan of a pretty rough type.

I very much admire his photography and ability to turn a phrase when he gets a bit prickly.

We all know that is a facade and he is really just real cuddly bear inside.

Robbo Jock
27th Dec 2018, 12:02
Hi Ned, thanks for the generous offer.
My most memorable moment would have to be the first time I held a vaguely steady hover. After hours of poor old John going through the old "you have, WHOA!!! I have.... you have, WHOA!!! I have...." one day it suddenly clicked. I don't recall a steady progression from unstable to stable(ish), I just feel that one flight I was endangering anyone around the perimeter of Redhill, the next I was holding pretty much over the required spot, at around the height and sort-of pointed in the direction John had requested. It felt so good (and, tbh, I still think it is one of the coolest feelings, just hovering).

berwynnz
27th Dec 2018, 18:08
My most memorable moment with helicopters would have to be one of my earliest flights with Keith Turner on our farm near Masterton !
He was spraying with the Sikorsky s55 he had at the time. My brother and I watched him working all day hoping for a ride and he obliged at the end of the day with a short hop back to our house !!
He took us on a couple more rides as I was growing up and I always remember him doing this for us when I get kids coming up and wanting to see the machine and maybe go for a quick ride in it !

Self loading bear
28th Dec 2018, 15:55
Last year I wrote my most commemerable flight would probably be my next flight as the offshore business was in a down turn and I was wondering if a next flight would even come!

Last August I was called out again for a day trip.
It was exactly 2 years from my last trip.
It was great flying in a CHC helicopter out onto the Dutch shelf.
CHC made it through the bad times, I and the company also endured and came out of it.
Signs are somewhat more positive now.

Everybody Best wishes!

Self Loading Bear

How Nice
29th Dec 2018, 13:41
Hi Ned
once again thank you for the great offer.

My my experience would be back in Croatia/Bosnia ‘96.
As a young fresh faced technician I was tasked in doing a flight test post maintenance on a Gazelle.
So there I am sat up the front with my trusty Rotortune box all ready to go.
Flight test went perfect out over the Adriatic on a beautiful clear day then the fun begins.
The PIC (alas I don’t remember his name) showed me the more agile characteristics of a Gazelle which had the effect I think he intended.
Flight back to base involved me getting my first ‘hands on’ I was slowly introduced into straight and level then gentle turns with his expert guidance and amazing patience.
I was able to bring the aircraft all the way back to the refuel spot at which point he took over.
A memory that I still cherish to this day.