PDA

View Full Version : Russian aircraft code names.

The AvgasDinosaur
29th Oct 2018, 16:16
Learned contributors,
When did we stop allocating 'code names' to Russian aircraft ?
I notice the recent deployment of the ELINT version of the the Tupolev TU-214 airliner the TU214R ELINT aircraft in Syria but can not find any reference to a NATO code name for this aircraft.
any help or suggestions, please.
Thanks in anticipation for your time and trouble.
Be lucky
David
p.s. If the mods consider this more appropriate please move to spectators balcony -though it is a serious question

bobward
30th Oct 2018, 12:22
I think the ASCC (?) still does this, although they are not so well published as before.
Tryhttp://www.designation-systems.net/non-us/soviet.html

Jackonicko
30th Oct 2018, 12:57
I think your linked list includes some guesses and enthusiast allocated reporting names, like 'Flatpack', and 'Fulcrum-E'......

Pontius Navigator
2nd Nov 2018, 17:16
There are also anomalies. COOT A should have an M name as it is not a Cargo aircraft and actually is nearer a MAY than a COOT.

fantom
2nd Nov 2018, 18:41
No-one has mentioned the dreaded ****e-Hawk.

ExAscoteer
2nd Nov 2018, 23:40
There are also anomalies. COOT A should have an M name as it is not a Cargo aircraft and actually is nearer a MAY than a COOT.

Rubbish!

MAY (the MPA) was developed from COOT (the Transport aircraft ).

mike1964
3rd Nov 2018, 01:18
Yes, but Coot-A is not a cargo aircraft, any more than a Nimord R1 was:
https://theaviationist.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Il-20-interception.jpg

Haraka
3rd Nov 2018, 06:27
The ASCC is now long gone and new reporting designators abandoned. There were many ,sometimes amusing, anomalies over the years.
The Il -20 COOT A et. seq. nicknames (they weren't "code names") were in line with An-12 CUBs B,C and D which were dedicated recce/ELINT versions of the basic transport , indeed there were some similar versions of the Il-14 CRATE as late as the mid 70's.
The Il-38 MAY was a pretty major rework of the basic Il-18 airframe with a lot of fundamental external visual changes and so justified the new designator.
All history now.

Nomad2
3rd Nov 2018, 08:34
Am I correct in remembering that ASCC codenames should be in capitals only? I think so, but it's been a while....

Pontius Navigator
3rd Nov 2018, 08:49
Rubbish!

MAY (the MPA) was developed from COOT (the Transport aircraft ).
I await your understanding.

Haraka
3rd Nov 2018, 09:23
COOT A should have an M name as it is not a Cargo aircraft and actually is nearer a MAY than a COOT.
It isn't .

Mechta
3rd Nov 2018, 16:02
The Multirole Fighter Interceptor (MFI) got its 'Flatpack' name courtesy of 'Uncle Roger' AKA Roger Bacon, writing in Flight International's 'Straight & Level'.
MiG MFI - FlatPack (https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1994/1994%20-%201004.html?search=flatpack)

ExRAFRadar
4th Nov 2018, 09:17
It's actually the aircraft that the BBC leases from Ivan to chase up people who do not have a TV license.
NATO has given it the code name 'ScrapLicense'

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/238x132/il_20_interception_b9c494a6acc45b04f1c25d2e9bec8cf896d226bc. jpg

BEagle
4th Nov 2018, 09:33
For those who still don't know, the 'BBC' is Cyrillic for 'VVS'.

The markings mean Voyenno-Vozdushnye Sily Rossii - 'Russian Air Force'.

Pontius Navigator
4th Nov 2018, 10:40
It isn't .
I thought you had understood my point - a COOT A is not a Cargo aircraft but has a non-cargo mission hence could have been given an M name. I used May as an example, maybe Candid, Mainstay and Midas would be been more obvious.

Haraka
4th Nov 2018, 12:45
PN did you read my #8?

Pontius Navigator
4th Nov 2018, 13:01
PN did you read my #8?
Yes, agreed with that entirely. It highlights that the nickname for elint often does reflect the mission.

The AvgasDinosaur
12th Feb 2020, 06:14
The new Sukhoi SU-57 has a code name FELON.
So why not the Tupolev TU-214R in my original question?
Thanks for your time and trouble
David

T28B
12th Feb 2020, 13:37
For AvgasDinosaur:
p.s. If the mods consider this more appropriate please move to spectators balcony -though it is a serious question
The nomenclature of military aircraft is a suitable topic for this forum.
Carry on.

A_Van
12th Feb 2020, 15:22
The new MiG 57 has a code name FELON.
....What is MiG-57???

As a general remark.
Arrogant Pentagon strategists who give names to Russian planes while picking their noses sitting in armchairs, seem to have quite a limited vocabulary. All the nicknames they come up with sound like a street slang of guys who hardly finished school.

I recall Tu-22 was once given a reporting name "Beauty" which was found too complimentary and quickly changed to "Blinder".

The AvgasDinosaur
12th Feb 2020, 15:32
What is MiG-57???

As a general remark.
Arrogant Pentagon strategists who give names to Russian planes while picking their noses sitting in armchairs, seem to have quite a limited vocabulary. All the nicknames they come up with sound like a street slang of guys who hardly finished school.

I recall Tu-22 was once given a reporting name "Beauty" which was found too complimentary and quickly changed to "Blinder".
My typo Sukhoi SU-57
See

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/did-you-know-the-su-57-felon-is-the-only-fighter-jet-equipped-with-dircm/
This one
David

Airbubba
12th Feb 2020, 15:59
As a general remark.

Such eloquent prose comrade. :D

Asturias56
12th Feb 2020, 16:46
What is MiG-57???

As a general remark.

IIRC they have to be usable across the whole of NATO so there are issues regarding pronunciation - also you have to avoid confusion with other types - both in service and historical...............

Crromwellman
12th Feb 2020, 16:54
Yes, they had to understandable throughout NATO but also our own. As for pronunciation issues, I remember the HOUND helicopter which fortunately left service before the HIND entered. We mused that the Household Division would have been in a frightful tizz over which Hind they were reporting

Lonewolf_50
12th Feb 2020, 18:39
Arrogant Pentagon strategists who give names to Russian planes while picking their noses sitting in armchairs That's a swing and a miss.
Not srategists, just a bunch of Intel folks and not in the Pentagon. Wrong side of the pond.
The most likely venue was a back room somewhere in Mons, or in Paris before that.
Fishbed? Yeah, it's a Fighter. (IIRC, MiG 21)
1. The nicknames were derived for NATO Standardization across 16 nations.
2. Official NATO languages: (UK) English and French.
3. The names had to include phonetic keys, such as F for Fighters and B for Bombers, C for Cargo. (Hence Frogfoot, Backfire, Cub, etc) and so on (with of course a few exceptions) and all helicopters had to start with an H: Helix, Hind, Havoc, Hormone, etc.
4. The NATO phonetic alphabet likewise changed from the original phonetic alphabet that the US Army used in WW II:
The US original version began Able Baker Charlie Dog, Easy, Fox,
the NATO version began Alpha Bravo Charlie Delta, Echo, Foxtrot. (There was a STANAG on that as I recall ... that's in the dusty attic of my memory)

Martin the Martian
12th Feb 2020, 18:47
Well, the MiG-15 was originally allocated the reporting name 'Falcon', but this was deemed too laudatory -as I have seen it described by one publication- and it was changed to 'Fagot'. Our friend in Russia may indeed have a point about complimentary names.

Davef68
12th Feb 2020, 23:06
Something in the back of my mind says that the names used were given a higher level of classification post Cold War, which is why none were publicly given for Tu204, Mig MFI, S-37 etc, but that could just be my aged grey cells kicking in.

Tankertrashnav
12th Feb 2020, 23:28
We mused that the Household Division would have been in a frightful tizz over which Hind they were reporting

Excellent !:D:D:D

The Oberon
13th Feb 2020, 05:45
Yes, they had to understandable throughout NATO but also our own. As for pronunciation issues, I remember the HOUND helicopter which fortunately left service before the HIND entered. We mused that the Household Division would have been in a frightful tizz over which Hind they were reporting

Probably the Sithe Dyne Hinds.

A_Van
13th Feb 2020, 05:57
That's a swing and a miss.
Not srategists, just a bunch of Intel folks and not in the Pentagon.

I am sorry, Lonewolf. Actually, my only message was about using contemptuous nick names too often. All the rest was sarcasm, and I assume that my poor English did not allow to make it visible ;) Sure, guys on the bank of the Potomac have other things to do.

Wrong side of the pond.
The most likely venue was a back room somewhere in Mons, or in Paris before that.

Really? It all started shortly after the WWII, before NATO stepped in or even was established, AFAIK.

Aerospaceweb.org | Ask Us - Soviet Aircraft Codenames (http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/history/q0070.shtml)

Asturias56
13th Feb 2020, 07:34
Something in the back of my mind says that the names used were given a higher level of classification post Cold War, which is why none were publicly given for Tu204, Mig MFI, S-37 etc, but that could just be my aged grey cells kicking in.

Why would they do that?

Video Mixdown
13th Feb 2020, 09:54
I can’t imagine that offending the delicate sensitivities of Russians had anything to do with it. More likely they deliberately chose ugly/dull names to avoid any possibility of confusion with the dynamic/powerful names commonly used by Western operators.

ShyTorque
13th Feb 2020, 10:36
No-one has mentioned the dreaded ****e-Hawk.

Still going strong!

Archimedes
13th Feb 2020, 11:08
I can’t imagine that offending the delicate sensitivities of Russians had anything to do with it. More likely they deliberately chose ugly/dull names to avoid any possibility of confusion with the dynamic/powerful names commonly used by Western operators.

The mundane, unlikely-to-be-used-by-western-air-force as a name approach did kick in. ISTR reading that there was concern over the MiG-15 related to a report coming in of a Falcon being somewhere undesirable and the recipient of the message wondering what on earth one of the handful of remaining examples of FG Miles’s fine 1930s touring monoplane was doing there... So the reporting name was changed.

This sounds implausible, but there may be some truth in it, since during the saga of the RAF”s (non) procurement of the F-111, there is a note to be found in the files at Kew explicitly rejecting Firebolt as a possible name for the type. This was on the grounds that it might be confused over a degraded comms system with FIREBAR, and the principle of avoiding confusion of this sort through the same or easily-misheard names was noted as being a valid one to uphold.

(We ended up choosing ‘Merlin’ as the F-111 name, as the alternative of ‘Harrogate’ was deemed a little uninspiring)

TEEEJ
13th Feb 2020, 14:53
Really? It all started shortly after the WWII, before NATO stepped in or even was established, AFAIK.

Correct. NATO is simply on the distribution list. ASCC (Air Standardization Coordinating Committee) was formed in 1948 with US, UK and Canada. Australia and New Zealand joined later. ASIC (Air and Space Interoperability Council) took over from ASCC during 2005. ASIC then transitioned into AFIC (Air Force Interoperability Council) and now Five Eyes AFIC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Eyes_Air_Force_Interoperability_Council