PDA

View Full Version : Special 50p Coin

er340790
29th Oct 2018, 12:42
Apparently a special 50p coin is being minted to commemorate Brexit.

It will buy exactly as much as the 20p coin buys now...:E

CargoMatatu
29th Oct 2018, 12:51
Seems a bit pointless to me as I thought you were all going back to L.s.d, and those big ol' pennies. You know, 3 of them will get you a pint of warm armistice ale, and don't forget five Park Drive! :}

Cheltman
29th Oct 2018, 15:21
Another wonderful con. Convince people that special edition 50 p will be worth a lot in the future. ( you may have noticed that has already started). Hopefully people will get hold of these special coins and wrap them in tissue paper and place in biscuit tin. Thereby generating several million pounds for HMG. It will not go far but hopefully will go towards the redundancy pay for several of the current ministers.

Krystal n chips
29th Oct 2018, 15:47
And right in the middle of this thread is ?.......da dah ! an advert for the 2018 UK Gold sovereign at only, love that bit, 249

Now there's a coincidence for you .......cough !

radar101
29th Oct 2018, 17:36
Another wonderful con. Convince people that special edition 50 p will be worth a lot in the future. ( you may have noticed that has already started). Hopefully people will get hold of these special coins and wrap them in tissue paper and place in biscuit tin. Thereby generating several million pounds for HMG.

You mean the way that Royal Mail is doing with the stupid amount of commemorative postage stamps?

Gertrude the Wombat
29th Oct 2018, 17:37
It will buy exactly as much as the 20p coin buys now...:E
They may not be able to give them away - there's plenty saying they wouldn't accept such a thing in change. My guess is that after a couple of years sitting in bags in a back room in the BofE they'll all be (very quietly) melted down.

Unless of course we're giving them out to kids at the street parties :D

DaveReidUK
29th Oct 2018, 18:09
Apparently a special 50p coin is being minted to commemorate Brexit.

An excellent example illustrating the difference between "commemorate" and "celebrate". :O

Tech Guy
29th Oct 2018, 19:28
Will it show Her Majesty giving Johnny Foreigner a special one fingered wave goodbye? :)

G-CPTN
29th Oct 2018, 23:02
As our Head of State, can we assume that HM is in favour of Brexit? *Otherwise she would have vetoed it)

Gertrude the Wombat
29th Oct 2018, 23:08
As our Head of State, can we assume that HM is in favour of Brexit? *Otherwise she would have vetoed it)
No.

She's not allowed to say what she thinks.

But she does get to choose what hat she wears.

ExSp33db1rd
30th Oct 2018, 00:22
But she does get to choose what hat she wears.

Unfortunately.

Tankertrashnav
30th Oct 2018, 01:14
They may not be able to give them away - there's plenty saying they wouldn't accept such a thing in change.

At which point the shopkeeper may well say "you can take it it leave it but as it is a legal tender coin, I have fulfilled my half of the bargain. At which point purchaser may either change their mind or accept losing 20p on the deal.

The other point is that it will most certainly NEVER be worth more than 20p, At the time of decimalisation people hoarded mint 5 bags of 1967 pennies (1,200 in a bag). These are the bane of coin dealers' lives as hopeful punters come in clutching said bags, only to be told that they may as well sell them for scrap metal value. A similar phenomenon in the stamp world is the 1966 World Cup stamp, overprinted "England Winners". People hoarded these by the hundred thousand, to the extent that now that are worth little more than their 4d face value.

ATNotts
30th Oct 2018, 07:52
Another wonderful con. Convince people that special edition 50 p will be worth a lot in the future. ( you may have noticed that has already started). Hopefully people will get hold of these special coins and wrap them in tissue paper and place in biscuit tin. Thereby generating several million pounds for HMG. It will not go far but hopefully will go towards the redundancy pay for several of the current ministers.

All these myriad "special edition" coins, with only a very few exceptions, are worth precisely their face value - not a penny more and not a penny less. We confirmed this when we uncovered my late father-in-law's collection of 50p, 1 and 2 coins. As such they are nothing more or less than a money making con from the Royal Mint / HM Government. The same I believe can be said for commemorative stamps, unless they are first day covers.

They may not be able to give them away - there's plenty saying they wouldn't accept such a thing in change. My guess is that after a couple of years sitting in bags in a back room in the BofE they'll all be (very quietly) melted down.

I would be inclined to refuse them, but I'm unlikely to have one proffered in change, as I now rarely spend cash, apart from for in council parking machines, which of course charge obscure amounts for parking, and then don't give change.

Airclues
30th Oct 2018, 08:12
Tankertrashnav

The other point is that it will most certainly NEVER be worth more than 20p,

Jokes aside, I'm trying to understand why a 50p coin will only be worth 20p. It is still worth 50p even though the might be worth less relative to other currencies.

Krystal n chips
30th Oct 2018, 08:25
Look at it this way.....once upon a time, a certain happy couple got married and, to commemorate this entwining .....well of bodies, not necessarily minds as we now know..... lo and behold there appeared a selection of plates and mugs, the mugs being suitably appropriate for those who purchased these items thus, with the 50p piece on offer, their collection will be complete !

There's also the irony that the last commemorative offering to the nation didn't exactly lead to joy and happiness so the latest one will be equally apt in this respect

PDR1
30th Oct 2018, 09:15
I gather the Brexit 50p will have a picture of Boris on each side and will say "worth 3.50" to commemorate the lying, two-faced piece of excrement.

PDR

Sallyann1234
30th Oct 2018, 09:21
Is anyone planning a street party to mark the event, I wonder?

ATNotts
30th Oct 2018, 09:50
Is anyone planning a street party to mark the event, I wonder?

Which event would that be? The issue of the new coin or Mr. Farage's "independence day"?

PDR1
30th Oct 2018, 10:42
I did see these two options (both presented to bring balance to The Farce):

https://i.imgur.com/vyMPLAhm.jpg

or...

https://i.imgur.com/7A5Lwirm.jpg

PDR

Sallyann1234
30th Oct 2018, 11:19
Which event would that be? The issue of the new coin or Mr. Farage's "independence day"?
Isn't the intention to release the coins on that day?
Or perhaps 1st April would be more appropriate.

Tankertrashnav
30th Oct 2018, 11:20
Jokes aside, I'm trying to understand why a 50p coin will only be worth 20p. It is still worth 50p even though the might be worth less relative to other currencies.

Sorry.my mistake,of course I meant 50p. I can only think it was because on a coin site I look at someone had just posted a picture of a Royal Mint trial design for the 20p which was rejected. A few of them were struck, and they are certainly worth a lot more than 20p!

I agree that the Royal Mint has joined the Post Office or Royal Mail in becoming a money making concern and not a public service. All of their "special" issues" are to be avoided, as ATNotts advises above.

eal401
30th Oct 2018, 12:12
I think the coin will be designed to appeal to remainers - it'll have "I hate Britain" on one side and "I'm ashamed to be British" on the other.

Sums up remainers to a tee.

PDR1
30th Oct 2018, 12:56
Presumably the corresponding Leaver one will have "I Can't Count" on one side and "I Can't Handle the Truth" non the other. It will have a face value of 50p, but a slogan on the side of a bus wiull assure everyone it's actually worth 350m...

PDR

Gertrude the Wombat
30th Oct 2018, 19:23
At which point the shopkeeper may well say ....
... to the bank "look, just give me the normal ones, will you?"
A similar phenomenon in the stamp world is the 1966 World Cup stamp, overprinted "England Winners". People hoarded these by the hundred thousand, to the extent that now that are worth little more than their 4d face value..
They were changing hands for around 12/6 on the day once the post offices had sold out... rather less the next day, and pretty well nothing a year later. You had to sell at the right time. As with anything else.

Gertrude the Wombat
30th Oct 2018, 19:24
council parking machines, which of course charge obscure amounts for parking, and then don't give change.
Ours do give change. One managed to give me an old fiver in change the day before they expired.

Mac the Knife
30th Oct 2018, 20:34
Will it have a black border?

Mac

eal401
31st Oct 2018, 15:50
Presumably the corresponding Leaver one will have "I Can't Count" on one side and "I Can't Handle the Truth" non the other. It will have a face value of 50p, but a slogan on the side of a bus wiull assure everyone it's actually worth 350m...

PDR

Perhaps, to be more realistic, it could have "My God. There are countries I can travel to outside of the EU!" Given the rhetoric of remain supporters leading up to the vote, many were utterly unaware there was a world outside of the 28 member states of the European Union. Some could barely comprehend the difference between the EU and continental Europe. Worryingly.

edi_local
31st Oct 2018, 20:20
Perhaps, to be more realistic, it could have "My God. There are countries I can travel to outside of the EU!" Given the rhetoric of remain supporters leading up to the vote, many were utterly unaware there was a world outside of the 28 member states of the European Union. Some could barely comprehend the difference between the EU and continental Europe. Worryingly.

I hope you realise that "ability to travel to" and "freedom to live, work, travel and have the same legal status as native citizens in" are two different things? Bit worrying if you don't. Many brexiteers don't seem to know there is a difference. We have the ability to travel to pretty much every point on the globe. If I want to live in some of them it's an extremely laborious process. The EU obviously removes all of that. But then people being able to settle in places they want to do so is a disgusting concept to brexiteers anyway.

Please do elaborate on your rather strange claim that some remainers don't now the difference between the EU and Europe. I haven't met a single one who blurs the lines. This line is always trotted out, but what will remain of our links to Europe anyway? The Tories seem pretty intent on completely severing all ties with their no deal fetish, even those that are nothing to do with EU membership, so I do ask, what will actually be left of our links to Europe? Will we enjoy a more privileged status than other non EU states, such as Moldova, Belarus or Albania, for example? I guess the Swiss and Norwegian models are out the window. Far too sensible for this lot. Being geographically in Europe doesn't really cut it if we can't play an active part in it's running, use the influence we once had and enjoy the continent to the same extent every other citizen can. I think you know that being in Europe and being in Europe are two very different things.

eal401
2nd Nov 2018, 13:16
I hope you realise that "ability to travel to" and "freedom to live, work, travel and have the same legal status as native citizens in" are two different things? Bit worrying if you don't. Many brexiteers don't seem to know there is a difference. We have the ability to travel to pretty much every point on the globe. If I want to live in some of them it's an extremely laborious process. The EU obviously removes all of that. But then people being able to settle in places they want to do so is a disgusting concept to brexiteers anyway.

Nope - fully aware of the difference. I guess I understand it due to the numbers of - for example - Indians, Africans, Filipinos etc. who have acquired such status in the UK (and will still continue to do so after next March as non-EU immigration processes will remain unchanged) Also, noted, the number of British citizens who have been able to live, work, travel etc. in countries outside of the EU -Australia being a fine example, but also Canada and the US. I know many who have done that.

Listening to the Remain campaign however and they absolutely presented that the ability to do this would cease post Brexit.

Please do elaborate on your rather strange claim that some remainers don't now the difference between the EU and Europe. I haven't met a single one who blurs the lines. This line is always trotted out, but what will remain of our links to Europe anyway? The Tories seem pretty intent on completely severing all ties with their no deal fetish, even those that are nothing to do with EU membership, so I do ask, what will actually be left of our links to Europe? Will we enjoy a more privileged status than other non EU states, such as Moldova, Belarus or Albania, for example? I guess the Swiss and Norwegian models are out the window. Far too sensible for this lot. Being geographically in Europe doesn't really cut it if we can't play an active part in it's running, use the influence we once had and enjoy the continent to the same extent every other citizen can. I think you know that being in Europe and being in Europe are two very different things.

Well, it is very simple - Continental Europe possess 50 sovereign states, versus the 28 (soon to be 27) membership of the European Union. Quite a substantial difference - again, a great many Remain campaigners happily referred to Europe as a whole and without distinction with the EU and that we'd be severed completely from Europe as a whole - not that we'd need a difference relationship with a group consisting of slightly more than half.

Anyway - back to the coin - I have had a better idea for a design. On the obverse, you have a Remain campaigner. They are red faced, vein bulging and they are screaming "RACIST!" at Brexit voters.* On the reverse, the same Remainer, same red face, same vein bulging, this time saying "WHY DIDN'T THEY VOTE OUR WAY??" Definitely a more realistic concept.

*because shouting "RACIST" was absolutely a Remain tactic. Well done for helping the Brexit cause..... :rolleyes:

Nemrytter
2nd Nov 2018, 16:00
Oh good, another delusional chap.

Sallyann1234
2nd Nov 2018, 16:12
Just ignore it - he/she/it is deliberately goading to get a response.