PDA

View Full Version : total radiation dose of millisivert in a year and caa uk

stranotipo
29th Oct 2018, 12:28
Dear all,

a very technical inquiry: I have recently been exposed to more then 20msV of radiation due to medical checks.

I know some authorities see it as a yearly limit, do you have any reference to CAA UK ?

Thank you
stranotipo

wiggy
30th Oct 2018, 18:00
Dear all,

a very technical inquiry: I have recently been exposed to more then 20msV of radiation due to medical checks.

I know some authorities see it as a yearly limit, do you have any reference to CAA UK ?

Doesn’t really help but for your info the oft quoted 20mSV annual limit (which I think is the standard has come from the International Committee on Radiological Protection) is usually the limit for “occupational” exposure....as I read it it is not an absolute do not go above figure...but I understand your concerns.

Bushfiva
31st Oct 2018, 05:53
Also the ICRP is the annual average over 5 years, i.e. 100mSv over 5 years, and is the occupational recommendation for radiation workers. For general population, the recommendation is 1 mSv/year. In general, limits are all over the place. Simply by living in Denver you're nominally above Russian limits, for example. I believe that CAA follows EU guidelines, Council Directive 96/29/Euratom.

Radgirl
2nd Nov 2018, 22:56
The CAA will be interested in why you needed imaging..... They wont know what dose you received as it varies from machine to machine, radiologist to radiologist and the tests being performed. I presume you have been told the exposure of each and every examination at the time and added them up? They appear on 'the screen' but are not normally reported to the requesting doctor. So I would take anything anyone other than a radiologist or radiographer has told you with a pinch of salt. I agree the dose is nothing to be concerned about, does not need reporting, and the CAA wont be bothered.