PDA

View Full Version : FAA/NCAA licensed pilot in GTA in need of advice from experienced pilots in Canada

TigerPedro
28th Oct 2018, 12:38
Hello everyone,

I am a relatively new permanent resident in Canada and will appreciate advice on how to get back to flying here.

Brief background about myself: Education background - BSc Economics, MSc International Business, FAA CPL/IR (H) and NCAA CPL/IR (H) and Bell 412EP type certification. My total hours are about 240hrs and Bell 412EP time about 60hours so as you can see I am a very low hour pilot.

As a young pilot I made the mistake of going for a type rating rather than build my hours as I was looking for a job and the employer I ended up working with required that I self sponsor a type certification in the Bell 412EP as a pre requisite for employment. I ended up there for close to 3 years flying barely 60hours as contracts where few and far in between.

I moved with my family here as a permanent resident about 4months ago and have had to take up a job to keep up with my financial responsibilities but would like some advice as to how I can get back to flying here.

I will do a medical and convert my FAA licence to CAA first but I’m at a loss for how I will be able to get a job with my low flight hours. Should I convert then do a fixed wing conversion? Will there be employers willing to take me on with my flight experience? I have viewed job postings and there is a general 1500 hour barrier to entry.

Please any advice you have will be appreciated, I’m at a point were I have no direction and your experience with the Canadian market will come in very valuable.

Thanks!

Bksmithca
28th Oct 2018, 16:24
Hello everyone,

I am a relatively new permanent resident in Canada and will appreciate advice on how to get back to flying here.

Brief background about myself: Education background - BSc Economics, MSc International Business, FAA CPL/IR (H) and NCAA CPL/IR (H) and Bell 412EP type certification. My total hours are about 240hrs and Bell 412EP time about 60hours so as you can see I am a very low hour pilot.

As a young pilot I made the mistake of going for a type rating rather than build my hours as I was looking for a job and the employer I ended up working with required that I self sponsor a type certification in the Bell 412EP as a pre requisite for employment. I ended up there for close to 3 years flying barely 60hours as contracts where few and far in between.

I moved with my family here as a permanent resident about 4months ago and have had to take up a job to keep up with my financial responsibilities but would like some advice as to how I can get back to flying here.

I will do a medical and convert my FAA licence to CAA first but I’m at a loss for how I will be able to get a job with my low flight hours. Should I convert then do a fixed wing conversion? Will there be employers willing to take me on with my flight experience? I have viewed job postings and there is a general 1500 hour barrier to entry.

Please any advice you have will be appreciated, I’m at a point were I have no direction and your experience with the Canadian market will come in very valuable.

Thanks!

Tiger

You might get better response if you posted this in the Rotorhead section given your licenses are all for helicopters

BK

TigerPedro
28th Oct 2018, 16:29
You'll need to convert everything and then IMO, go get a flight instructing rating and build your hours that way. Once you get between 500-1000 hrs, plenty of regional prop jobs available.

I appreciate your response, I will look at this option. Thank you

TigerPedro
28th Oct 2018, 16:30
Tiger

You might get better response if you posted this in the Rotorhead section given your licenses are all for helicopters

BK

I will do so now, thanks for your response!

Captainletusgo
29th Oct 2018, 04:26
seems like you have a long journey ahead of you. PM me ...