View Full Version : Are there any FAA DPEs in Canada who can do IR checkride?

27th Oct 2018, 00:11
Complex situation.
UK citizen.
Own a N-reg C185, currently in Colorado.
Want to do my FAA IR training in this aircraft.
Cannot do so in the US because can only do it at a FAA Part 141 school, none of which a) Have any capacity at the moment and b) Are prepared to train in my aircraft.
I have a good friend who is an FAA CFII, who would train me in the aircraft in Canada. Then I would have to have TSA approval, but not require an M1 visa or to be trained in a Part 141 school.
BUT -- is there way to do the checkride in Canada?!

27th Oct 2018, 08:07
Do the training and get the endorsement for the practical test in Canada, fly back to the US and do the checkride there. You donīt need a visa for that in my opinion because training was completed abroad and the checkride is not considered training. Make sure the IACRA paperwork is ok. I once tried to get a checkride in Europe, but it did not work out.

27th Oct 2018, 13:07
Thanks, very helpful. I will need to find out if it really is the case that the check ride isn't considered training.

24th Nov 2018, 23:12
This will work. The checkride is not considered training. However, if you fail it, you will have to do the required re-instruction back in Canada or wherever. Taking the checkride in Canada with an FAA dpe would I think not be easy.

24th Nov 2018, 23:54
Some clarification required here:

A Part 141 school is not allowed to conduct training on aircraft which are not approved to be used in their curriculum.
Itís not a matter of not wanting.

In any case Iím fairly sure you can enroll at a 141 school and get the M-1 visa and have your training conducted under Part 61.

If you canít find a school willing to do that why not bite the bullet and train in a 172 or similar?
Sometimes a combination of circumstances mean you canít have your cake and eat it too.

25th Nov 2018, 16:16
Train in Canada, do the checkride back in the US?

25th Nov 2018, 16:41
Is flight instruction given in Canada using a US-registered civil aircraft lawful? It's illegal to do so in the United States using a Canadian aircraft, 14 CFR 375.34 (https://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgFAR.nsf/0/CAB2F89690E9B05986257352005AE28F?OpenDocument)

If your US-certificated flight instructor is not Canadian, but operates a flight training service in Canada in accordance with chapter 12 and annex I of NAFTA, then Transport Canada authorisation is required in pursuance of 400.05 of the Canadian Aviation Regulations. Notification is also required by 406.03.

A non-US national receiving flight training for a US instrument rating from a US-certificated flight instructor is also required to participate in the Alien Flight Student Program and to obtain a favourable TSA security threat assessment regardless of where the flight training takes place. See 49 USC 44939(c), 49 CFR 1552, docket no. TSA-2004-19147 (https://www.flightschoolcandidates.gov/TSA-2004-19147-0226.pdf) of 19 Oct 2004, or for example 69 FR 56328 (https://www.federalregister.gov/d/04-21220/p-91):

“Flight school” is defined as any pilot school, flight training center, air carrier
flight training facility, or flight instructor certificated under 14 CFR part 61, 121,
135, 141, or 142; or any other person or entity that provides instruction under 49
U.S.C. Subtitle VII, Part A, in the operation of any aircraft or aircraft simulator.
TSA is defining this term broadly to include any individual, as well as any entity,
that provides such instruction. This definition also includes any individual or
entity located outside of the U.S. that provides such instruction. For example, a
flight school located in Canada that provides instruction in the operation of an
aircraft or aircraft simulator under 49 U.S.C. Subtitle VII, Part A, that would
enable an individual to receive a U.S. Airman's Certificate is subject to this rule.

As an alternative you could obtain a Canadian IR and convert it, together with a Canadian pilot licence, to the equivalent US certificate and rating under the US–Canada BASA–IPL (https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/air_cert/international/bilateral_agreements/baa_basa_listing/): for details on the criteria and administrative procedures see FAA AC 61-135 (https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/advisory_circulars/index.cfm/go/document.information/documentID/1027574) and TCCA AC 401-001 (http://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviation/reference-centre/advisory-circulars/ac-401-001.html).

Big Pistons Forever
25th Nov 2018, 17:19
Training for an instrument rating can be done in Canada in a US aircraft as long as the instructor had a valid Canadian license with an Instructor rating or meets the requirements of CAR 625

The only caveat is that the flight test must be done by a FAA examiner as a Canadian IFR rating can only be applied to a Canadian license.

30th Nov 2018, 08:08
QDMQDMQDM (https://www.pprune.org/members/53496-qdmqdmqdm) what visa are you currently on in the USA ?