PDA

View Full Version : I cannot access the UK Politics thread.

G-CPTN
26th Oct 2018, 14:47
This page isn’t workingwww.pprune.org redirected you too many times.

cavortingcheetah
26th Oct 2018, 15:02
There's been a petition to ban it?

Pontius Navigator
26th Oct 2018, 15:07
@metoo. .

Grayfly
26th Oct 2018, 15:08
@metoo

Ditto

Ancient Mariner
26th Oct 2018, 15:20
Works for me, however, first time I'm there.:E
Per

ORAC
26th Oct 2018, 15:53
If it’s because you get the “too many redirects” screen, it’s been like that for me for several months.

Just go go to the first page and hit “post reply”, which lets you see the last few posts. Downside is you can’t edit your posts afterwards.

I started up a Part 2 thread, but the Mods deleted it.

PPRuNe Towers
26th Oct 2018, 16:11
Depending on browser the page should come up after a few seconds. Failing that clear caches for the last few days or reset pprune cookies. No one is actively blocked from the thread. Just had a similar problem but that was after already accessing the thread after the 5 second wait 3 times earlier today.

I see others are still getting in and posting so the thread isn't yet totally broken.

Rob

ethicalconundrum
26th Oct 2018, 16:31
If it’s because you get the “too many redirects” screen, it’s been like that for me for several months.

Just go go to the first page and hit “post reply”, which lets you see the last few posts. Downside is you can’t edit your posts afterwards.

I started up a Part 2 thread, but the Mods deleted it.

I'm no expert on this kind of forum host software, but it's very likely that the mods have created a re-direct loop (or more than one). Where stale entries in the cookies of many different browsers are running out of link-forwarding. I'm guessing the mods have been using this forum as a catch-all for UK threads started which have a political dimension to them, and they are creating a lot of forwarding. The second Part 2 thread could also be part of the problem where a loop has been created, and a browser will detect a race condition(one page points to another page, which points back to the original page, and off they go). Someone far more qualified in http a browser management at this forum should be able to sort it out, if they care.

ATNotts
27th Oct 2018, 10:06
I had the same problem (accessing through Chrome) but could access OK via IE.

Cleared cookies and browsing history, then shut down my machine. Rebooted and hey presto! problem appears to be solved and access through Chrome with no error message.

Thread the victim of it's own success!?

Two's in
27th Oct 2018, 14:48
It's because your Pprune alias shows up as "N. Farage".

Sallyann1234
27th Oct 2018, 20:38
You're lucky. It still works for me.. :{

Effluent Man
27th Oct 2018, 23:28
Access Go to Page on bottom right and type in a slightly lower number than the total pages shown on the thread. Usually 3-4 less brings it up.

DON T
28th Oct 2018, 08:41
I can access the thread but find that the last post was on 26th. Very strange especially for that thread.

Doors to Automatic
28th Oct 2018, 11:43
Isn't it about time that the original thread was closed and a Mk2 started?

Bull at a Gate
28th Oct 2018, 12:38
Same problem for me, usually, on the Formula 1 thread. “Too many redirects”.

DON T
28th Oct 2018, 13:08
As of 1204 today the uk hamster wheel thread states that the last page is 837. If you select the thread at the beginning and then select go to page and type 809 you are redirected to that page. You can then scroll to the last entry which strangely is on page 809 not 837. Something wrong with the page counter?

Buster15
28th Oct 2018, 14:13
@metoo. .

Why would you want to. Seems like a blessing in disguise...

DON T
29th Oct 2018, 08:14
Seems to be fixed now. The page counter looks to have been reset.

DON T
30th Oct 2018, 08:26
It’s now back to showing last page as 839 when actually it’s 811. Only way to access is by using the Go To facility and guessing the last page. Typed in 813 and it took me to 811.

KelvinD
30th Oct 2018, 08:40
The best way to access the last page is to click on "Last". Don't bother with the "Go To Page" link.

DON T
30th Oct 2018, 10:10
The best way to access the last page is to click on "Last". Don't bother with the "Go To Page" link.

clicking on Last does not work for me. All I get is a Try Again button which when pressed produces another Try again button and so on.

treadigraph
30th Oct 2018, 11:14
I'd say it's definitely corrupted beyond redemption - bit like some political organisations these days! :p

I've given up - new thread called for!

VP959
30th Oct 2018, 14:16
I agree, it just refuses to load no matter what. I've tried maybe a dozen times now and it just seems to hang for ages, sometimes it'll give the try again message, sometimes it just sits doing nothing. I've tried two different machines and two different browsers, and all are the same. I even tried clearing all the cookies and the cache to see if that made a difference, and it didn't.

Best bet might be to lock this broken thread and allow the new Mk2 thread to take its place.

Krystal n chips
30th Oct 2018, 18:26
I agree, it just refuses to load no matter what. I've tried maybe a dozen times now and it just seems to hang for ages, sometimes it'll give the try again message, sometimes it just sits doing nothing. I've tried two different machines and two different browsers, and all are the same. I even tried clearing all the cookies and the cache to see if that made a difference, and it didn't.

Best bet might be to lock this broken thread and allow the new Mk2 thread to take its place.

Amongst the sheer plethora of expertise IT, and some very complex IT according to my geek friends who are in the IT world professionally, has featured from time to time.

I, on the other hand, profess no IT knowledge , apart from the "On / Off " switch ( and the essential cut and paste links from the Guardian without which many on here would be devoid of intellectual discourse....) and yet,.......timed at 17.15 no less.......it's probably just another side effect of me being a JB confirmed thicko and failure in life....

https://www.pprune.org/10297010-post16219.html