PDA

View Full Version : BBC - A Legacy of War

India Four Two
26th Oct 2018, 07:32
I've just read a stunning article about four US soldiers who served in Iraq and what happened to them subsequently:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/Iraq_legacy_of_war

Very moving and it made me think about my Dad, who served in the 14th Army in Burma and NEVER talked to me about his experiences there.

KelvinD
26th Oct 2018, 08:46
This featured on BBC2 Newsnight last night and will perhaps appear on the iPlayer. I was put off it at first by it being presented by Mark Urban but I watched anyway and found it rather dull. A platoon was based for a while in a suburb of Iraq. There was a lot of fighting and some were wounded with others killed. No doubt a lot of people on the "other side" were similarly afflicted but no mention was made of this.
My view of this was yet another clever ruse by Mark Urban to get even more cash from the BBC. But then, as I already hinted at above, I don't like Mr. Urban so I am guilty of bias!

mikemmb
26th Oct 2018, 09:05
[QUOTE=Very moving and it made me think about my Dad, who served in the 14th Army in Burma and NEVER talked to me about his experiences there.[/QUOTE]

True hero’s, we must never forget, be proud.

India Four Two
26th Oct 2018, 10:45
KelvinD,
I had never heard of Mark Urban, so I have no bias, one way or the other! :)

mikemmb,
I agree with you. My Dad was obviously proud of what he did with the "Forgotten Army" but he never talked about it. However, he had nothing but good to say about "Uncle Bill" Slim. I was in Yangon nearly a year ago and toured the immaculately kept CWGC Taukkyan Cemetery. It was very moving to see graves of men from my Dad's regiment, the 3rd Carabiniers and wonder if he had known them.

In the 60s he was working on the Isle of Wight and was introduced to the Island's Burma Star Association Branch. He eventually ended up as the National Treasurer and implemented a reorganization of their investments, so that the income would cover the cash requirements for pensions and assistance as the Association naturally wound down. He was pleased about that.