PDA

View Full Version : They Shall Not Grow Old

Uncle Fred
26th Oct 2018, 02:15
Has anyone seen it yet? I certainly plan to but haven't had the opportunity.

VP959
26th Oct 2018, 06:47
I've only seen the short clips in trailers, but I have to say that I was amazed at both the technology used to turn black and white into realistic-looking colour and the way that colour brought people to life. It's not often a film comes out that I immediately think "I must go and see that", but this is definitely one I will go and see.

Uncle Fred
26th Oct 2018, 07:05
I agree VP. I have only seen the trailers but it appears to be both a technological marvel and a true labour of love. From what I have read that even with modern computer assistance that there is still a lot of human work that goes into each frame.

Either way a wonderful tribute at the centenary of the armistice. Can't wait to see it.

ORAC
26th Oct 2018, 07:54
To be shown on BBC 1 on Armistice Day, 11th November.

beamer
26th Oct 2018, 07:59
We saw it last week on its preview day at local cinema. Very impressive and indeed moving film. It is not a history of the Great War and concentrates entirely upon the Western Front; it is the story of the men, not the politics or the Generals.

Highly recommended.

The late XV105
27th Oct 2018, 17:36
The film is as beamer said, and I too saw it on preview day at my local cinema. I'm not normally a fan of 3D films, but at my cinema it was 3D or nothing so I went anyway. If anything, it made both the impressive technology behind the remastering even more impressive, and the film highly immersive. We must never forget, so my twelve year olds came too, and whilst there were no nightmares afterwards they certainly saw the horror of war knowing it was all real, and my wife and I had plenty of questions from them afterwards.

Uncle Fred
27th Oct 2018, 20:48
Thank you for the reviews. Glad to hear that it focuses on those who were doing the fighting. Plenty of books out to describe the historical sweep of the conflict so it is always good to drill down to the human level. 100 years now and to think it was not that long ago that we mourned the Last Tommy Harry Patch. BBC - History - World Wars: The Last Tommy Gallery (http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/worldwars/wwone/last_tommy_gallery_03.shtml)

Tankertrashnav
29th Oct 2018, 10:59
Interestingly the original wording from Binyon's poem "For the Fallen" was "they shall grow not old", but it is now almost invariably rendered as the thread title shows. Also although the poem is nowadays associated with Armistice, and the huge losses of the Great War, it was actually written in September 1914, and was inspired by those who died in the retreat from Mons.

wiltshireman
29th Oct 2018, 12:53
Saw it on it's release. Amazing, and beautifully done.

Fitter2
29th Oct 2018, 13:38
Interestingly the original wording from Binyon's poem "For the Fallen" was "they shall grow not old", but it is now almost invariably rendered as the thread title shows. Also although the poem is nowadays associated with Armistice, and the huge losses of the Great War, it was actually written in September 1914, and was inspired by those who died in the retreat from Mons.

There are a number of musical settings, often used on Remembrance Sunday; all those I am familiar with use the original Binyon words, except that of Elgar, who after realising his error wrote to Laurence Binyon with apologies. Binyon replied with his full permission to leave it as "They shall not grow old" saying he was a poet, not a composer.

Tankertrashnav
29th Oct 2018, 17:15
Interesting Fitter2, I hadn't heard that.

rusty sparrow
29th Oct 2018, 17:21
Brilliant film, the credits rolled to Mademoiselle from From Armentieres, a song still going round my head. Here's the full version,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtt6i2SGKPc

funfly
29th Oct 2018, 19:08
Is this a 3d film as I cant find it near me.
will it be out on dvd soon?

spekesoftly
4th Nov 2018, 09:24
To be shown on BBC 1 on Armistice Day, 11th November.

Thanks ORAC. I see it's now scheduled to be shown on BBC 2 - 21:30 to 23:05.

G-CPTN
4th Nov 2018, 11:00
I shall be watching it at the local cinema this evening (pensioners' rates).

Karearea
11th Nov 2018, 03:10
I saw this film this afternoon, November 11th.
Very, very moving indeed.
Highly recommend.

Krystal n chips
11th Nov 2018, 05:41
Given the title of this thread, it would seem to be the most appropriate for this tribute......

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/picture/2018/nov/10/centenary-of-the-armistice-cartoon

hiflymk3
12th Nov 2018, 14:20
Anyone who saw the film would have heard my Grandfather, Sgt Charles Quinnell, talking about jumping into an enemy trench and shooting two enemy dead. He also mentioned the tobacco that, "tasted like horse waste." These and other quotes were taken from a recording of his WWI experiences made by the Imperial War Museum of which I have a transcript.

He is also quoted in the book Forgotten Voices.

G-CPTN
12th Nov 2018, 14:46
I found the whole experience (of watching the film) very poignant - though it convinced me that I wouldn't have wanted to be there.
The duration seemed 'inadequate' in that it could easily have been twice the length in order to tell the whole story.
As a presentation of original film clips it was brilliant (and somewhat scary in that it was real people who were soon to be no more).

The technology involved in re-speeding, colouring and adding dialogue is amazing - well done to all the technicians involved.

Gertrude the Wombat
12th Nov 2018, 18:24
Any idea how I can get to watch the film, for less than the 150 it would cost to use iPlayer?

G-CPTN
12th Nov 2018, 18:31
Any idea how I can get to watch the film, for less than the 150 it would cost to use iPlayer?
Arts Cinema Cambridge. (https://www.picturehouses.com/cinema/Arts_Picturehouse_Cambridge/film/they-shall-not-grow-old-2d)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=47&v=D6Do1p1CWyc

BAengineer
12th Nov 2018, 18:37

I just downloaded it from a Torrent site, looking forward to watching it this afternoon.

BAengineer
12th Nov 2018, 21:45
So just finished watching it - outstanding!

One thing I did notice was how bad everyone's teeth were back then, I dont think anyone had a full set..:uhoh:

Gertrude the Wombat
12th Nov 2018, 22:11
Arts Cinema Cambridge. (https://www.picturehouses.com/cinema/Arts_Picturehouse_Cambridge/film/they-shall-not-grow-old-2d)
Interesting - I thought I'd seen somewhere "in cinemas for one day only". But those two showings are during working hours so I'll be at work.

Gertrude the Wombat
12th Nov 2018, 22:12
I just downloaded it from a Torrent site, looking forward to watching it this afternoon.
One does feel tempted sometimes, when one is willing to pay a sensible price for a film but the owner refuses to sell it.

Uncle Fred
12th Nov 2018, 22:51
It was on 2 last evening. Not sure why they just don't release it to Amazon and other streaming providers where one can view it for a fair and reasonable price.

krismiler
12th Nov 2018, 23:02
One thing I did notice was how bad everyone's teeth were back then, I don't think anyone had a full set..https://www.pprune.org/images/smilies/worry.gif

This is known as "British teeth" throughout the rest of the world and hasn't changed much over the last 100 years.

Tankertrashnav
12th Nov 2018, 23:33
I thought it was absolutely outstanding - exceeded my expectations. I was impressed by the skill with which it had been made - apparently lip readers were used to work out what the silent soldiers were saying and then the speech was dubbed on

Congratulations Peter Jackson - I now forgive you for that Tolkien tripe!

WingNut60
12th Nov 2018, 23:55
Unless my 1990's visit to MGM studios has faded more than I imagined then, IIRC, almost all major, feature length movies are dubbed for sound quality reasons.
After filming the actors spend time in the sound studios lip-syncing and over-dubbing for clarity.

Dont Hang Up
13th Nov 2018, 06:40
I thought it was absolutely outstanding - exceeded my expectations. I was impressed by the skill with which it had been made - apparently lip readers were used to work out what the silent soldiers were saying and then the speech was dubbed on

Congratulations Peter Jackson - I now forgive you for that Tolkien tripe!

There was a program on the making of this film last night.

Apparently Peter Jackson has something of an obsession with WW1 and the vast amount of paraphernalia he owns was invaluable in working out the correct coloration for uniforms, helmets etc. Also he explained that, because the original cameras were hand cranked, the speed correction had to be done pretty much on every scene - easy enough for scenes of marching, but a lot more tricky when looking at more subtle movements. He was also pretty obsessive about the small details. For a scene of a soldier with a bad head wound he was determined that such an injury would always result in blood stains on the uniform - so scanned the original prints closely for any likely markings on the clothing that could then be coloured appropriately.

I was particularly impressed with the scene of a row of tanks advancing over a wide ditch. They flipped between the original b&w and the colour version which showed just how authentic the footage was, but at the same time just how remarkable the enhancement process was.

While I am always wary of "airbrushing history", I am comfortable with the knowledge that the original footage continues to exist. Therefore I have a great deal of admiration for this particular effort.

redsnail
13th Nov 2018, 20:41
Absolutely loved Peter Jackson's treatment of the original footage. He simultaneously brought it to life, smashed the age barrier and showed the absolute horror of WW1. He made the soldiers accesible and real. Instead of some figures in history, they became your neighbours, uncles, brothers and fathers. The sympathetic but realistic colouring brought it home. Outstanding effor. Bravo to the IWM and Peter Jackson.

ExSp33db1rd
13th Nov 2018, 21:29

Come to New Zealand, just about to set off to the local fleapit this afternoon, where it will cost me around 6. ($13 NZ Senior Rate )

Back. Bit disappointed after all the hype, and that's not to disparage the chaps in any way, but I found all the repetitive scenes of the trenches a bit over the top. ( no pun intended )

And, I was intrigued by a lot of the photography,I know that much has been coloured recently, but was there really that much filming going on at the time, or was a lot of it staged just for the production, which would have been an enormous task, incredibly well done if so. and ... I'm surprised that the obviously genuine black and white shots of the era haven't had more publicity before this, or have I just had my head in the sand ?

I've also seen comments about 3D, and the credits do refer to 3D and Stereo, but the copy I have just seen was plain, flat screen. Not that detracts from it, just curious.

Go see it.

Fareastdriver
14th Nov 2018, 09:25

Go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer and sign in for free.

Tankertrashnav
14th Nov 2018, 10:56
As far as I know nothing was staged for the production, all is original film which has been "colourised" and had speech dubbed. What is true however is that a lot of what appears to be actual film from the trenches was in fact shot at the time during training exercises at home, and also specifically for publicity/propaganda. The famous shot where the troops are going over the top and one is shot immediately and slumps back into the trench is an example of this, and I am sure there were many more.

Gertrude the Wombat
14th Nov 2018, 16:58
It's not free, you need a TV licence, which is around 150. That is exactly what I'm going to avoid, one way or another.

Tankertrashnav
14th Nov 2018, 17:28
Well I'm not sure of the position of an over 75 living in New Zealand, but in the UK ExS33db1rd would be entitled to a free TV licence. However is BBC iplayer available on computers outside of the UK? I suspect not.

DaveReidUK
14th Nov 2018, 17:32
one way or another.

But stopping short of clicking on the "I have a TV licence" button regardless. :O

VP959
14th Nov 2018, 17:49
However is BBC iplayer available on computers outside of the UK? I suspect not.

Yes, if you use a VPN set to spoof your location as the UK, although I think you still have to log in to the BBC website now in order to view or listen to content, even if within the UK. Dead easy to set up a VPN, and not too pricey either, if you value privacy and want to add another layer to help limit how much personal data is leaked to those who wish to collect it and make money from it. I've been using Nord VPN for a fair while now, and one advantage is that you can use it to access content that is restricted by location. I'm pretty sure that the BBC primarily blocks content based on location, as on the few occasions when I've looked at the BBC News website when I've been running through the VPN set to another country it's served up a very different news page.

ExSp33db1rd
14th Nov 2018, 21:34
However is BBC iplayer available on computers outside of the UK? I suspect not.

Correct, and there is no licence fee for watching TV, but iPlayer can be viewed by spoofing ones' IP number, VPN or similar, did it once, hardly worth the effort most times, so haven't repeated the exercise, but I know it is possible. Thanks.

Senior Paper Monitor
17th Nov 2018, 19:15
Watched this last night - Friday night is beer and pizza night round here and normally accompanied by something considerably more banal on the TV than that.

Fabulous - amazing - sobering !

Best spend of a Friday evening in a long time - possibly the 'best bit' was the 'credits' - naming of the 'contributors' and their squadrons, brigades, regiments etc made it all the more real and poignant (don't switch off when the movie bits finish !)

hiflymk3
17th Nov 2018, 19:23
Watched this last night - Friday night is beer and pizza night round here and normally accompanied by something considerably more banal on the TV than that.

Fabulous - amazing - sobering !

Best spend of a Friday evening in a long time - possibly the 'best bit' was the 'credits' - naming of the 'contributors' and their squadrons, brigades, regiments etc made it all the more real and poignant (don't switch off when the movie bits finish !)
Then you would have heard the voice and seen the name Sgt Charles Quinnell, my grandfather, which made it very poignant for me and my family.

Argonautical
17th Nov 2018, 20:13
I also thought it was excellent but I thought the 3 program series called "The Last Tommies" was better. The short clips and simple spoken words of the old soldiers, their children and girlfriends did I think, convey the waste of lives better than the coloured images of dead bodies spattered with blood. I also noticed how bad the soldiers ' teeth was.
​​​​

G-CPTN
17th Nov 2018, 20:13
British NCO served with 9th Bn Royal Fusiliers in GB and on Western Front, 1914-1916. (https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/80000550)

hiflymk3
17th Nov 2018, 21:45
British NCO served with 9th Bn Royal Fusiliers in GB and on Western Front, 1914-1916. (https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/80000550)
Thank you for the link.

John Eacott
20th Nov 2018, 08:30

No longer available: it was only there for 7 days :sad:

FullOppositeRudder
20th Nov 2018, 09:53
Herself and I went to see it in a small cinema in Adelaide this afternoon. Without doubt, it is an outstanding production. I was interested and indeed fascinated by the footage in England - the enlistment, the training, and then for those who survived, the return to civilian life afterwards. Of that extensive middle section which covered the fighting itself, well, it was every bet as horrific as previous more isolated snippets had portrayed, but worse. I found myself shutting my eyes at some scenes, but then I've led a fairly sheltered life in respect of being confronted with the pure horror of the insanity that is war. We were both surprised at the footage which showed the German prisoners and their acceptance by the allied soldiers into the strange fraternity which bonds fighting men. I'll be thinking about this for quite a while. The over-riding emotion and response however is that with which I wrestle with every time I come away from one of my annual visits to the National War Memorial and expressed in just four sad words: "What a bloody waste ..."

I'm glad I saw it, even though some of it was quite confronting. It's recommended. Well done Peter Jackson!

FOR

Hempy
24th Nov 2018, 22:56
DUReYO2n06w
uqLNvr2-VLo

Fantome
25th Nov 2018, 05:06
GOOD LAD HEMPY.

tdracer
21st Dec 2018, 00:52
Just discovered there will be showings of 'They Shall Not Grow Old" on this side of the pond Dec. 27.
Link to find theaters and buy tickets here:
https://www.fathomevents.com/events/they-shall-not-grow-old?utm_source=unknown&utm_medium=unknown&utm_campaign=they+shall+not+grow+old&utm_term=warner
I just bought a ticket :ok:
BTW, I checked Amazon and they do have it available on DVD, unfortunately for those of us in North American not for our region...

Gertrude the Wombat
21st Dec 2018, 16:43
BTW, I checked Amazon and they do have it available on DVD, unfortunately for those of us in North American not for our region...
Time for me to buy one then.